PDA

View Full Version : Firestone Destination - Tyre Feedback

HippoNZ
2nd July 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi all

When I bought my truck 6 months ago they came with 31" Firestone Destinations Muddies. I never knew anything about these so kept them on as it made sense. I know your not suppose to bag about tyres on this forum but let me just say in the 6months of owning them I have gone through 2 tyres.
So here's my view on them:

Traction:
I can't actually complain about the traction on mud these give, they are actually quite good and will bite down and pull you through until you belly up, then like any tyre your sh!t out of luck lol
They have some tread that follow down a bit onto the side wall which at times prooved effective.
On the road with cornering etc the noise is acceptable. Wet roads well you just gotta learn to take it easy.

Price:
They are $240NZD each, so value for money is OK for being a road tyre and mud and its the sort of money you get what you pay for. But the quality you'll hear about in a min.

Wear:
I would say the wear and tear of the tyre is on the poor side, you'll find after a while chunks of tread are missing, and the tread in general wears a bit too quick for my liking. I've done roughly 5k driving on these now and im almost a 3rd through them. possibly a slight exaggeration lol but not by much.

Quality:
As I said they wear fairly quickly, but my biggest issue is with the side walls. They are like edam cheese! If you yell loud enough at the tyre you could split the side wall lol I've had a stick through one sidewall and some other foreign object through another. They are not reinforced so I knew they wouldn't take much abuse but for the life of me I'm disappointed it's happened twice in 6 months. So build quality and strength of the tyre is poor.

So today I got the news the tyre couldn't be repaired, I don't want to buy another tyre because I'm buying some 35" tyres in a month. Funny enough though when they priced me a new tyre they said, "We don't make them anymore" hmmmm wonder why I'm thinking.

Cheers
Brett

G-ForceCrew
6th July 2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Brett,
Sounds like they have run out of recycled rubber bands. It's Hancook for me. Had hancook M/Ts on the last 4x4 outstanding performance. They have 10 ply side walls. Worth looking into. Have hancook H/P on the trol right now, no bucks for changing them and want the exhaust finished off first. Then it will be 285 / 75 M/T's.

Kel

YNOT
6th July 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi all

When I bought my truck 6 months ago they came with 31" Firestone Destinations Muddies. I never knew anything about these so kept them on as it made sense. I know your not suppose to bag about tyres on this forum but let me just say in the 6months of owning them I have gone through 2 tyres.
So here's my view on them:

Traction:
I can't actually complain about the traction on mud these give, they are actually quite good and will bite down and pull you through until you belly up, then like any tyre your sh!t out of luck lol
They have some tread that follow down a bit onto the side wall which at times prooved effective.
On the road with cornering etc the noise is acceptable. Wet roads well you just gotta learn to take it easy.

Price:
They are $240NZD each, so value for money is OK for being a road tyre and mud and its the sort of money you get what you pay for. But the quality you'll hear about in a min.

Wear:
I would say the wear and tear of the tyre is on the poor side, you'll find after a while chunks of tread are missing, and the tread in general wears a bit too quick for my liking. I've done roughly 5k driving on these now and im almost a 3rd through them. possibly a slight exaggeration lol but not by much.

Quality:
As I said they wear fairly quickly, but my biggest issue is with the side walls. They are like edam cheese! If you yell loud enough at the tyre you could split the side wall lol I've had a stick through one sidewall and some other foreign object through another. They are not reinforced so I knew they wouldn't take much abuse but for the life of me I'm disappointed it's happened twice in 6 months. So build quality and strength of the tyre is poor.

So today I got the news the tyre couldn't be repaired, I don't want to buy another tyre because I'm buying some 35" tyres in a month. Funny enough though when they priced me a new tyre they said, "We don't make them anymore" hmmmm wonder why I'm thinking.

Cheers
Brett

We don't want people to just post up comments like "these tyres are crap". You have given an honest review of your experience with these tyres and given valid reasons for not liking them, we have no problem with that.

Tony

HippoNZ
6th July 2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks Tony, It was a good way to vent lol

Maxhead
7th July 2011, 08:30 AM
Good morning MODS or ADMIN.

Any chance of moving this thread to the tyre feedback section so it doesn't get lost.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Tyre-Brands-amp-Feedback

Cheers

HippoNZ
7th July 2011, 11:22 AM
Sorry NissPat my mistake!

YNOT
7th July 2011, 12:13 PM
Good morning MODS or ADMIN.

Any chance of moving this thread to the tyre feedback section so it doesn't get lost.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Tyre-Brands-amp-Feedback

Cheers

Done, thanks Kris.

Tony