PDA

View Full Version : Check for rust here in your GQ

AB
1st July 2011, 10:40 PM
What started off as a quick beer and working out where to put the fire extinguisher turned into an entire Friday night gone...lol

I opened up the jack holder compartment to find mud which lead to pulling up the carpet and finding wet carpet and surface rust all in the corner of the base as per the pics below.

Looks like an easy spot for water to get in if your deep enough and if I had not have checked this then it would have rusted the whole corner of the rear cab in a couple of years...

Just thought I would throw this up for everyone to have a quick squizz under your carpet in the corner infront of the jack compartment and let us know if you have any rust too...

Just took me 3 hours to clean it up, kill rust, prime and paint. Lucky I found it!!!

Was a nightmare pulling the drawer system out too...lol

Dodgy fix for now was to wrap plastic infront of the jack...LMAO

patch697
1st July 2011, 11:02 PM
Bloody lucky you found that in time old mate or as you said, you might have been in the poo down the track.

growler2058
1st July 2011, 11:47 PM
Wots carpet?.....hAha got a pov pak= no carpet but do have tin worm there but not too bad have treated

HippoNZ
2nd July 2011, 07:26 AM
mate had the same issue when I bought my truck and did some deepish wheelin. Mainly on the front passengers side in the foot well would always be soaking, ripped out the carpet found some holes where screws or plastic caps were missing and glued those SOB's up lol problem solved....

YNOT
2nd July 2011, 08:00 AM
AB I'd be taking the seats out and lifting the rest of the carpet to see if any of the rest of the floor is affeced.

Tony

AB
2nd July 2011, 08:23 AM
AB I'd be taking the seats out and lifting the rest of the carpet to see if any of the rest of the floor is affeced.

Tony

I know...I have found some traces of water on left hand doors only at the carpet last night too...I'll have a look today!

I pulled the whole drawer system out last night and pulled up the entire dickie seat carpeted area and found nothing else so the backs ok.

There goes the weekend...lol

AB
2nd July 2011, 10:44 AM

Tony

You were right Tony, pulled out the rear seats and found bucket loads of mud and all the carpet was wet.

No rust or anything but extremely wet carpet!

It's all air drying now..lol

AB
2nd July 2011, 10:47 AM
Especially in the rear corners of the back seats...The water loves to sit there!

big_fletch
2nd July 2011, 11:31 AM
Lucky to have found it mate, least no major damage done.. Im sure there will be a few GQ owners out there checking now just to make sure