PDA

View Full Version : North Stradbroke & Moreton Island...... anyone ?

04OFF
30th June 2011, 09:51 AM
I don't have any trip dates set yet , but Im posting this on the off chance, anyone would be interested in a future weekend trip to North Stradbroke Island, with a day over on Moreton Island ? :tongue:

Its not the cheapest trip so certainly won't be for everyone, its a lot to spend on just a weekend, but our family have spent more $$ having less fun doing other stuff, Moreton Island (if you haven't been) has been compared to Fraser island by many people, and Straddie is also a great place, in fact its the sand island i choose to visit most.

Moreton Island is expensive to get to at the best of times (about $265 return, car+ family of 4), to get to straddie costs about $135 return, but there is a car ferry between straddie and moreton, so if you are already on straddie,you can take your car and family over to Moreton for a day for $110 return (+ permit cost)

So doing it this way, the "total" ferry cost for both islands is cheaper than just going to Moreton ($245), spend a day on Moreton Island and you get a day on North Stradbroke for free, there is other small bonuses to doing it this way, but ill see if anyones interested bofore going into that. :cool:

patch697
30th June 2011, 10:01 AM
Im to far away to go along but it sounds like a top trip & I hope you get a few interested ppl.

Thanks

nowoolies
30th June 2011, 10:19 AM
no fair i wanna go
but the fuel bill from W A to there is the killer hahahahahahaha

Bigrig
30th June 2011, 10:44 AM
This weekend?? Already going away boss, but would be up for it another time!!

04OFF
30th June 2011, 11:11 AM
Noooooo........Ive gotta make a "Scroooby Dooby Dooo !" cake this weekend (daughters 5th birthday)

I dont have any dates set or really even in mind as yet (sorry didn't make that clear, i may edit first post), i just wanted to gauge interest so i "can" put a plan together :thumbup:

Bigrig
30th June 2011, 11:38 AM
Noooooo........Ive gotta make a "Scroooby Dooby Dooo !" cake this weekend (daughters 5th birthday)

I dont have any dates set or really even in mind as yet (sorry didn't make that clear, i may edit first post), i just wanted to gauge interest so i "can" put a plan together :thumbup:

In that case ... plan away ... depending on when, we should be right.

04OFF
30th June 2011, 12:16 PM
Yeh good stuff Scotty, so thats "definitely maybe" for you then (lol)

If we can get a few definite cars together, and agree to at least all do the trip from Straddie to Moreton at the same time, im pretty sure ill be able to get us private ferry crossings to and from Moreton outside the normal timetable.

The great thing if we can obtain a early private crossing ,is this would get us over to Moreton before "any" cars travelling over that day (inc the only other car ferry, the Micat) and leave us last to get off the Island, thus giving us more time over on Moreton for our $$ :icon_victory:

Finly Owner
30th June 2011, 10:19 PM
depending when, I may be interested.

Tim

04OFF
1st July 2011, 08:07 AM
Excellent Tim,

Ill see how many people we get interested over the next week or so, then make sure we all talk about a future weekend date/s that suits everyone !

Bigrig
1st July 2011, 08:47 AM
The date is our only issue - right date (which we'll sort no doubt), then we are in!!

04OFF
1st July 2011, 10:02 AM
No worries Scotty, if your keen for such a trip, ill make sure it works out, theres no rush, id rather wait untill "everyone" that wants to go is happy, that way we can hopefully all benefit from the early ferry.

We need at least 2, up to 6 cars, of course ,the closer to 6 cars we have (6 patrols = full boat) the better bargain power we have for our own crossing.

Ive spent a few days on Moreton before and been to straddie heaps ,if anyone hasn't been to the islands, i feel i can put together a pretty good plan to get the most out of the weekend,or you can always go off and do your own thing for a day.:tongue:

When choosing a date, we will also have to concider the Tide Times , this is to ensure we have maximum drive time to go where we please.

Bigrig
1st July 2011, 12:00 PM
Done deal - with your rig, my rig and the camper and Sandra's rubicon, 4 of the spots are taken already really, so get in quick people!!!!

04OFF
1st July 2011, 01:31 PM
Perhaps if we could get over to straddie friday/arvo/night (they have car ferries to straddie all day until 7.30pm) then stay on Straddie friday night.

Saturday morning travel straight over to Moreton for the day, returning back that evening back to stay on straddie, then you only have to set up camp once, and dont have to pay for 2 trips with your camper (it can stay set up on straddie)

Plus then we can have all day sunday on straddie , and wont have to pack up until later ,as we can catch a late ferry back to the mainland from straddie.

This would leave 3 of the 6 ferry spots still available, and could also open up the option for anyone that just wants to go to Moreton on a day trip, as they can come over to meet us early Sat morn and leave Sat night (getting more time on Moreton plus a bit cheaper)

Finly Owner
1st July 2011, 08:57 PM
No worries Scotty, if your keen for such a trip, ill make sure it works out, theres no rush, id rather wait untill "everyone" that wants to go is happy, that way we can hopefully all benefit from the early ferry.

We need at least 2, up to 6 cars, of course ,the closer to 6 cars we have (6 patrols = full boat) the better bargain power we have for our own crossing.

Ive spent a few days on Moreton before and been to straddie heaps ,if anyone hasn't been to the islands, i feel i can put together a pretty good plan to get the most out of the weekend,or you can always go off and do your own thing for a day.:tongue:

When choosing a date, we will also have to concider the Tide Times , this is to ensure we have maximum drive time to go where we please. 12 patrols = 2 of our own crossings?

Tim

04OFF
1st July 2011, 11:40 PM
12 patrols = 2 of our own crossings?

Tim

Correct Tim, as i understand it, the ferry needs at least 2 cars on board to make a crossing viable, so more than 2 cars is worth while, a full boat (6 cars, $660) is obvously good money, and so a garanteed 6 cars tuning up at a set time, is worth setting a agreed time outside normal trading hours, and im pretty sure ive got a fair chance to get us a small discount if we have a full 6 cars as well.

I have previously spoken to the people that run the Amity Trader (ferry between straddie and moreton) about such a deal as i describe , so rest assure, it has been discussed/suggested before hand, but as soon as i know we have a set number of cars locked in, i will confirm 100% what sort of a deal is available for the dates we propose.

To be honest, id be surprised to get more than 6 cars, and really, 6 cars would be a ideal amount for a convoy tour of both islands anyway, but we can still work it with more than 6 cars and everyone is welcome, so if we did end up with 12 cars thats great !

Finly Owner
2nd July 2011, 10:44 PM
Keep me in the loop

Tim

04OFF
1st August 2011, 10:16 AM
Bumpity ! :groupwave:

This is still a plan for sometime this year, well have to start talking dates soon, but will be sometime from September onwards :clapping:

Im open to any suggested dates to get the ball rolling ?

Bigrig
1st August 2011, 10:29 AM
Bumpity ! :groupwave:

This is still a plan for sometime this year, well have to start talking dates soon, but will be sometime from September onwards :clapping:

Im open to any suggested dates to get the ball rolling ?

Anytime after September should be right for us ...

04OFF
1st August 2011, 04:04 PM
Sooo, if i tentatively put forward the 3rd weekend in October (15th-16th Oct) ? Tides appear great for these dates ,to ensure safe beach access to/from Moreton ferry at low tides, also works for friday arvo/night beach travel on straddie if needed.

Is there anything events wise that clashes with these dates, or just not suitable, how would that look with you Tim ?

macca86
1st August 2011, 05:51 PM
Sooo, if i tentatively put forward the 3rd weekend in October (15th-16th Oct) ? Tides appear great for these dates ,to ensure safe beach access to/from Moreton ferry at low tides, also works for friday arvo/night beach travel on straddie if needed.

Is there anything events wise that clashes with these dates, or just not suitable, how would that look with you Tim ?

that's the weekend before tin can bay trip and I'll be leaving for N.Z. that weeks so no play money late november would be ok

Airstrike
1st August 2011, 07:47 PM
Damn I will be on a cruise in Europe. and september at Fraser.

04OFF
1st August 2011, 08:21 PM
Damn I will be on a cruise in Europe. and september at Fraser.

late november would be ok

So would you guys 100% commit to going, if we found the right date in Nov ?

Bigrig
1st August 2011, 08:55 PM
So would you guys 100% commit to going, if we found the right date in Nov ?

Yep!! We would ..

macca86
1st August 2011, 09:03 PM
that is confidence right there defiantly get to straddie but can push for moreton depends on the handbrake!

04OFF
1st August 2011, 10:36 PM
that is confidence right there defiantly get to straddie but can push for moreton depends on the handbrake!

Ha-ha, Scotty is always a sure thing !

This trip is all about getting people to commit to the ferry crossing from straddie to moreton, so as a group, we can hope to have some bargaining power with the ferry owner, and if it all works out, we may benefit from a timetable outside the normal hours.

I may need to pay in advance to secure a crossing outside normal times, obviously this requires people to commit ahead of the date.

If you just want to go to North Stradbroke for a day macca, i am more than happy to organise another forum day trip just to straddie (we love to go there heaps anyway), but ill do it in another thread for a seperate date (one when well have a full day and wont have to get back to camp in the arvo to pack up)

Bigrig
2nd August 2011, 08:11 AM
Ha-ha, Scotty is always a sure thing !

This trip is all about getting people to commit to the ferry crossing from straddie to moreton, so as a group, we can hope to have some bargaining power with the ferry owner, and if it all works out, we may benefit from a timetable outside the normal hours.

I may need to pay in advance to secure a crossing outside normal times, obviously this requires people to commit ahead of the date.

If you just want to go to North Stradbroke for a day macca, i am more than happy to organise another forum day trip just to straddie (we love to go there heaps anyway), but ill do it in another thread for a seperate date (one when well have a full day and wont have to get back to camp in the arvo to pack up)

Let me know the dates for November and the cost when you are booking it and I'll slip you over some dollars.

macca86
2nd August 2011, 07:27 PM
Let me know the dates for November and the cost when you are booking it and I'll slip you over some dollars.

Likewise, thanks

frenzy
19th September 2011, 12:06 AM
I'm already there. Am I too early? Where is everyone? LOL

Heathen
6th July 2012, 03:02 PM
Hi all, are we talking about a family weekend away with the kids?

ozzyboy
6th July 2012, 06:55 PM
This is an old thread, but there will be plenty more i am sure. Especially when it warms up a tad.

Ozz

Heathen
6th July 2012, 08:02 PM
Crap, I didnt see the date....thanks for that...lol

04OFF
6th July 2012, 09:24 PM
Hay mate, thanks for the reply, yes it is a old thread, and i have done the straddie/moreton thing already, it ended a bit crappy for me, but that does not mean we can not visit these islands again some time if you are keen.

Pretty much everything we do is family friendly, and once i have some wheels again ill organise some more island trips.

For my own resons, i wont be using the Amity Trader ever again, but always happy to go to straddie, and also the odd moreton trip ,just on seperate trips for me from now on.

Heathen
7th July 2012, 05:33 PM
Sounds good and I'm glad to hear its all family focused. I'm slowly getting the gear together (compressor etc) for some island/sand visits and as they are on our doorstep so it would be rude not to.
It sounds like there is a bit more of a story from your last visit?
Do you no longer have a wagon?

scotty83
7th July 2012, 06:56 PM
interested. Keep the info coming

04OFF
8th July 2012, 02:43 AM
It sounds like there is a bit more of a story from your last visit?
Do you no longer have a wagon?

Pretty much more than i can say ............

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8399-ROLLED-GU-!-the-full-story-with-pics-amp-video

Heathen
8th July 2012, 07:38 PM
crap! the towtruck crashing must have been the icing on the cake. Glad no one was hurt and it looks like you will be back on the road pretty soon?
Doesnt sound like the ferry driver was out to make any friends!
Let me know when you are back on track and i'll be keen for a Stratty trip.

04OFF
8th July 2012, 08:34 PM
Cool, sounds good :smiley_thumbs_up:

Gordy
20th September 2012, 10:06 PM
Well, after misreading the dates on the original post, i have just lost a couple of hours being enthralled by reading the original story, wow is all i can say!

Is there still a barge that travels between Straddy and Moreton? and is it still a worthwile proposition for a weekender?

NP99
21st October 2013, 09:53 PM
Time to raise this old thread........we must be getting closer to trying this again! :)

megatexture
21st October 2013, 10:31 PM
By the looks this old thread doesn't need help getting brought up again its just a matter of time lol, but I might see what the missus thinks about it never been to north stratty yet so could be keen.

NP99
21st October 2013, 10:34 PM
It would be good for a few of us Queenslanders to meet up and enjoy a family trip..

gaddy
21st October 2013, 10:50 PM
Need a weekend away .only got to use the last straddie permit once . And I only live 10 min from the barge

Steve