PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 Efi question

PT Paul
29th June 2011, 08:58 PM
Hey guys,

A question about timing in the 4.2 efi... Is there a timing belt that should get changed at major service? Or a timing chain that stretches etc? Or is it as simple as valve clearance, spark plugs, leads, dizzy and ignition timing that controls how smooth and reliable your motor is? Any knowledge on this subject would be much appreciated.

YNOT
29th June 2011, 09:13 PM
TB42 has a timing chain, very reliable and I've never heard of one needing replacing.

Tune up items are valve clearences (14 thou hot)

plugs, leads, rotor button (extended rotors are available)

Ignition timing. TB42 EFI has electronic ignition. Base timing is 10 degrees BTDC. Get the engine up to operating temperature and switch engine off. Disconnect the AAC valve (the valve on the back of the inlet manifold phlenum chamber). Start the engine and set the timing at idle.

Tony

patch697
29th June 2011, 09:16 PM
Hey guys,

A question about timing in the 4.2 efi... Is there a timing belt that should get changed at major service? Or a timing chain that stretches etc? Or is it as simple as valve clearance, spark plugs, leads, dizzy and ignition timing that controls how smooth and reliable your motor is? Any knowledge on this subject would be much appreciated.

No timing belts to change on a TB42e mate...... All the rest you mentioned is whats generally checked reset &/or replaced at service turn time. Injector servicing, Throttle body de-carb & air filter as well.

PT Paul
29th June 2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks a whole heap for that guys. Timing chain thing is good to know. can do some of that myself. Also can anyone tell me what underneath gets grease ie; grease nipples?

YNOT
30th June 2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks a whole heap for that guys. Timing chain thing is good to know. can do some of that myself. Also can anyone tell me what underneath gets grease ie; grease nipples?

Drag link (in front of front diff) and tie rod (behind front diff) rod ends should have grease nipples - if not there should should be small blanking plugs in the rod ends that you unscrew and replace with grease nipples.
Both tailshfts will have grease nipples on the universal joints and slip joints. Only one pump of grease for the slip joints.

Tony

PT Paul
30th June 2011, 03:14 PM
Awesome thanks YNOT. While I'm on a roll, is there a washer or crush washer on diffs or transfer case?

YNOT
30th June 2011, 07:22 PM
Awesome thanks YNOT. While I'm on a roll, is there a washer or crush washer on diffs or transfer case?

Not sure what you mean exactly?
There are copper washers on the fill and drain plugs on both diffs and transfer but you normally get a few uses out of them before they need replacing, is that what you were referring to?

Tony

PT Paul
30th June 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes thats them. It's only cause the trucks new to me that I dont know the condition of 'em. I just dont want to pull the transfer/ diffs all apart and find that I need to replace them. Where do I get those copper washers? Hope I'm not stretching the friendship to much with all this ???

YNOT
1st July 2011, 05:16 AM
We're here to help Paul, ask all the questions you want.
You can get copper washers from Nissan or places like Repco.

Tony

PT Paul
1st July 2011, 08:39 PM
OK now this is the big ??? Where do I get the correct tool to undo the drain plugs (square hole). Theres no way known a 1/2 " socket drive is going to open those bad boys. The hole is more like 14mm.

YNOT
1st July 2011, 08:52 PM
I've never seen the correct tool if there is one. A 1/2" breaker bar is all I have ever used, it's not the right size but it does the job. Always take the fill plug out first, you don't want to get caught with the oil drained out and no way to refill it.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
1st July 2011, 09:02 PM
Same as Tony, I have only ever used 1/2" breaker bar, does the job :)

Peacemaker
1st July 2011, 09:54 PM
what kind of k's are on ya truck???? might want to change the o2 sensor (bosch part number 0 258 986 501) there a single wire sensor and should be changed every 80,000kms

PT Paul
10th July 2011, 04:31 PM
You guys are awesome. Just a follow up on the diff/transfer socket thingy. Found Company in USA called Ultimate tool co. They have a 13mm square socket for diff and a 17mm for transfer fill. Made in Japan for Nissans! Cost landed is $30.ooea AUD. I'll tell you how they go.

PT Paul
31st July 2011, 03:45 PM
used the 13mm socket from ultimate tool co and it works perfect.