PDA

View Full Version : Roof Cage and Spare Wheel Carrier

Bigrig
29th June 2011, 11:15 AM
Howdy

I've decided I don't want to put the new spare back on the rear barn door as it's simply too heavy and will stuff the hinges (kinda like the door not rattling with the spare off also!!).

I didn't really want to get a roof cage, but thinking now that it's the go. Apart from custom rear bars (I'm going to look at possibly attempting to make a swing away carrier for the spare off the bar I made), anyone got ideas for where to put/mount the spare?? And if consensus is on the roof cage, can you simply buy fittings to bolt it on to prevent movement??

Many thanks in advance!!!!!

YNOT
29th June 2011, 11:29 AM
Do you really want to be lifting a 50kg wheel on and off the roof of a 5" lifted Patrol?
I'd be doing the swingaway carrier off the rear bar.

Tony

Bigrig
29th June 2011, 12:35 PM
Do you really want to be lifting a 50kg wheel on and off the roof of a 5" lifted Patrol?

Tony

It'd be the only exercise I get these days!!! lol ...

YNOT
29th June 2011, 12:56 PM
It'd be the only exercise I get these days!!! lol ...

I get all the exercise I need from running around in circles and jumping to conclusions!

Tony

patch697
29th June 2011, 01:07 PM
i get all the exercise i need from running around in circles and jumping to conclusions!

Tony

roflmfao......................gold

Dark 1
29th June 2011, 03:41 PM
Must say i prefer it on the back of vehicle than on roof, personal preferance tho.

Woof
29th June 2011, 06:08 PM
The hard part is getting the spare on the roof...........................bloody easy to get though and then you have to chase it, when I get my 35" spare I will be putting it on my roof, had 2 spares up there on the old GU one for the Patrol and one for the camper trailer.
Really not that hard to get them up there just tie a rope around it and got my eldest son to lift it, when taking off used the rope again and got my eldest son to hold it away from the Patrol......................he won't help me anymore thoughhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

GUtsy ute
29th June 2011, 07:01 PM

Tony

X2 Scotty, it's bad enough lifting it up to the swing away, let alone the roof.

the ferret
29th June 2011, 08:06 PM
You'll bust ya poofer valve lifting it up there, unless you make some sort of a lifting jig with a winch!!, ya won't get through Maccas either!! LOL

Finly Owner
29th June 2011, 08:40 PM

Tony
Could you do a style like DX Grunts' two?

Tim

the evil twin
30th June 2011, 11:02 AM
Couple thoughts on the subject...

Yep the spares sure weigh a few kilo's but the door was designed to carry them. One of my GQ's was 20 years old and a lot of K's when it was sold and the rear door hinges were still as good as new.

When I carry a second spare I find it just as easy (or should it be just as hard) to get it on the roof as the door mount. You still have to pick the sucker up.

On the occasion I carry 2... To get the second one on my roof rack I roll it onto the tow bar tongue from the LHS, adjust my grip etc and roll it up the 1st spare so it sits on top of that, then climb on the rear step with the LHS barn door open and get a knee under it and flip it on the roof rack.

Would quite like a dual wheel rear bar but jeez they are expensive and heavy and having to swing the wheel carriers everytime you want to open the barn doors is a bit of a PIA albeit you can take the LHS one off a fair bit of teh time...

Sigh, life is just one compromise after another...

scotty83
30th June 2011, 07:27 PM
I think you might have to look at one of those wheelchair rooftop lifters for that job....

ghostrider_oz
6th July 2011, 07:00 PM
you could always go the Land Rover method but I don't know how much the 35 would block you forward vision

Silver
6th July 2011, 11:31 PM
check the load rating of the roof, check the weight of the rack, and the tyre, and do your sums.

Then put the spare down low in the cargo space in your wagon, and put light bulky stuff up on the rack

the evil twin
6th July 2011, 11:50 PM
check the load rating of the roof, check the weight of the rack, and the tyre, and do your sums.

Then put the spare down low in the cargo space in your wagon, and put light bulky stuff up on the rack

Not sure what your getting at... 200 Kg dynamic (100 for the Q's I think) or 400 Kg static means you can have a a spare "spare" up there, climb up yourself and then some.

It doesn't matter whether its 200Kg of feathers or 200Kg of steel. The manuf "max roof load" rating includes calcs for vehicle dynamic stability not just the actual weight the roof will support.

In my case the 2nd spare won't fit in the cargo space anyway so on the roof she goes and even with the other gear I throw up there the load is under 200Kg