PDA

View Full Version : And the project begins

Peacemaker
27th June 2011, 11:04 AM
This is my latest project. I've been wanting another Patrol for a while now (my first car was an MQ shorty) but was trying to get a GU until this came along for the right price. At least i can take it bush and not worry about its looks to much. So this is how she starts a 92 4.2 EFI auto TI. Its actually black with a green metallic so in the light it looks bottle green has a 2" Dobson/OME lift it, came with new 33"bighorns and a set of GU rims but sold the bighorns as i have a set of 35" Km2's for play (mind you the bighorns weren't a bad tyre at all). Just purchased an ARB roof rack for it, going to fit rear draws, snorkel, rock sliders, ARB front locker and maybe a rear, front winch bar( not sure what brand ARB, millweld or make my own), custom rear bar and maybe lift it to 4" with EFS coils/shocks and superior boxes, arms and rods and finally a re-spray to get rid of the chips in the paint. Any advice on what parts/brands not to buy would be appreciated

Peacemaker
27th June 2011, 11:07 AM
the other pics that didnt show up in the first post

GUtsy ute
27th June 2011, 11:11 AM
Nice looking rig, will come up a treat with what you have planned for it.
Post up progress pics as you go, everyone likes seeing them.

cheers

Bob
27th June 2011, 11:12 AM
Seems a neat GQ Mate. Hope it all goes well

Peacemaker
27th June 2011, 11:21 AM
thanks guys. Had to get a 4by wagon as i have just started getting access to my 2 little boys (4y,2y) and it was getting a bit squishy in the front of my HZJ75 with the other 1/2 and my 15y old daughter...........also i dont think the FPV would flex enough off road.

Bigrig
28th June 2011, 08:19 AM
Knowing what you paid for it mate, it appears you got a dead set bargain!!! Nice blank canvas to start working on ...

So, what's first on the list?? Having gone the 4" lift, I'd probably suggest going a 5" coil (Lovalls or King) with the EFS Extreme shock .. it will accommodate the 35's better and isn't so big that you'd be screaming "book me" to the boys in blue.

YNOT
28th June 2011, 08:38 AM
Nice blank canvas.
Scott, I'd stay away from EFS Extreme shocks, way too firm in the damping giving a harsh ride-very uncomfortable.

Tony

Bigrig
28th June 2011, 08:41 AM
Nice blank canvas.
Scott, I'd stay away from EFS Extreme shocks, way too firm in the damping giving a harsh ride-very uncomfortable.

Tony

Hmmm ... I rode in a truck with that very setup last Thursday and it was a damn site better than mine ... hmmm ... trouble is, I believe what you're saying, but now I'm torn as I've experienced it first hand and it seemed pretty good ... and did I mention "hmmm"! lol

Thanks mate ... what about the Lovall 5" coil with a tough dog foam cell??

YNOT
28th June 2011, 09:08 AM
I haven't heard anything bad about Lovells coils.
4WD Action mag did a shock absorber comparison recently and the Tough Dog foam cell came out on top. I have Tough Dog adjustables and have been happy with them.
I got the Extremes to try to fix a front end problem in my last GQ and later put them in Whitey. It felt like I had steel rods instead of shocks so I took them out and sold them. EFS may have changed the valving in the Extremes since I got mine a few years ago.

Tony

Russell1974
28th June 2011, 10:45 AM
great startin point cant wait to see the follow ons

Peacemaker
28th June 2011, 11:14 AM
Well I've got a spare $1000 from this really nice man who brought my 33's and there are a set of rear draws up the coast so maybe them, was out side last night stripping the tint from the passenger side and was thinking of getting that done today as well. If i can find one a snorkel this weekend and I think winch bar and winch will be the next thing. Then sliders, then i can do the lift. Looking at the EFS extreme shocks and springs as i have the contacts for them at the right price but apparently will have to go 10mm longer lower, arms drop boxes and pannard rods. Cant go any hire than 4" as the other 1/2 is vertically challenged.

Finly Owner
28th June 2011, 10:26 PM
Nice project, make sure you line up the B4 & RFTR pics

Tim

Peacemaker
29th June 2011, 09:32 AM
Well yesterday I removed the drivers side tint, gets tinted today. Also picked up a new set of rear disks and front pads then replaced the drivers door lower hinge and changed the center console over to a hi-top one out of a 95 RX $50. It's amazing how just a few more inches makes a difference to driving comfort using the lid as an arm rest.

Sir Roofy
29th June 2011, 10:38 AM
well yesterday i removed the drivers side tint, gets tinted today. Also picked up a new set of rear disks and front pads then replaced the drivers door lower hinge and changed the center console over to a hi-top one out of a 95 rx. It's amazing how just a few more inches makes a difference to driving comfort using the lid as an arm rest.

bad move useing the lid creates bad habit and sore back lol

Peacemaker
29th June 2011, 10:01 PM
Thats why I replaced it with the hi top one. Found the standard one just to low and gave a twist in my lower back. $360 later and 18% tint.

Peacemaker
10th July 2011, 06:52 PM
Ok guys, I think the 4.2efi has a cracked head. She uses about 3l of water a week so I'll pressure test it this week. Just chasing people's thoughts on whether I should keep the Tb42 and repair it or....... I have 2 spare v8's. 1 injected 5l and an injected 350 LT1....... Should I fit either of these instead. I mean the 4.2 sucks the juice so the Chev or 308 can't be much worse.

growler2058
10th July 2011, 07:02 PM
Ok guys, I think the 4.2efi has a cracked head. She uses about 3l of water a week so I'll pressure test it this week. Just chasing people's thoughts on whether I should keep the Tb42 and repair it or....... I have 2 spare v8's. 1 injected 5l and an injected 350 LT1....... Should I fit either of these instead. I mean the 4.2 sucks the juice so the Chev or 308 can't be much worse.

Welllllllll I'd be seriously lookin at the v8 option mate specially if ya got a couple just layin around

Nick74
10th July 2011, 08:07 PM
LT1, you'd be mad not to!!!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm V8

Cheers
Nick

Peacemaker
10th July 2011, 08:18 PM
Another option is a BA xr6 motor. I also have one of them spare..... Just for something a bit different.

BenGood
11th July 2011, 05:11 AM
May I move into your garage???

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2011, 10:06 AM
Looking at the EFS extreme shocks and springs as i have the contacts for them at the right price but apparently will have to go 10mm longer lower, arms drop boxes and pannard rods.

Hey mate definitely go the Drop boxes you will love them. Big fan here.

Your being given a bum steer with the 10mm longer lower trailing arms though mate, there has been much debate amongst the educated suspension vendors and most are accepting the a 10mm extension of the lower arms will fix that problem but will create another with your tyres wanting to crash through the back of your guards on full flex cause the axis of travel has been altered.

Stick with standard length HD lower trailing arms and fund some adjustable upper trailing arms for the best result.

Looks sweet mate, enjoy

Peacemaker
19th July 2011, 06:24 PM
Well at a cross Rd. Thinking of selling the GQ as I have found another one with all the " touring" bits on it that I want. Same year model, EFI auto but has everything done except the 4" lift. Oh what to do. I've spent $5k on this one in total so I need to sell it for at least $4k and the other one is $6800. Any one know someone chasing a GQ? Lol

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 06:25 PM
I just whacked it up here too mate - I think it's a scam as the address is George street Brisbane (middle of the cbd!!) ...

I just emailed them to see what comes back ....

Peacemaker
19th July 2011, 06:35 PM
Don't tell every one, no one will buy my old girl. Lol. I just emailed them to, see how I go with the minister for war and finance first though. She's a nice rig though, http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-1992-Nissan-Patrol-W0QQAdIdZ298721370#

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 06:44 PM
Don't tell every one, no one will buy my old girl. Lol. I just emailed them to, see how I go with the minister for war and finance first though. She's a nice rig though, http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-1992-Nissan-Patrol-W0QQAdIdZ298721370#

It's a steal if it is legit mate .. Seems suss though - lockers, dual battery, storage system, custom bar work, roof cage, winch, DVD players,snorkel, rear light/spacer, tinting, maxxis bighorns, alloys, immaculately clean, 241k on the clock and all for less than $7k registered???

Dark 1
19th July 2011, 07:11 PM
It's a steal if it is legit mate .. Seems suss though - lockers, dual battery, storage system, custom bar work, roof cage, winch, DVD players,snorkel, rear light/spacer, tinting, maxxis bighorns, alloys, immaculately clean, 241k on the clock and all for less than $7k registered???

I'd even look at it with all the gear it's got on it.

Peacemaker
19th July 2011, 10:05 PM
Just checked it out again on gumtree and it's not there any more.

Peacemaker
26th July 2011, 09:24 PM
Well it looks like I'm going the "XROX" winch bar as OL has a special on at the moment of a bar and a free set of lightforce 240 blitz. The trade price for the bar is around $900 which makes me a mad man not to. I will have to mod the bar to add some bars over the head lights to the center though. http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/news/XROX%20BAR.pdf