PDA

View Full Version : engine change

saz64
26th June 2011, 08:28 PM
Hi guys i've got a 2.8lt patrol and it's been a faithfull preformer.But now i'm thinking about giving my gu a heart transplant and i was leaning towards a chev conversion with auto,and i'm asking if any of you have done it or know of any one who has and what are your thoughts.I know it's not cheap and i've spoken to a firm in bris who do these things,but i'm not ready to trade for some thing that is proven to me for more plastic and electronic bells you find in the newer models.

YNOT
26th June 2011, 08:50 PM
Are you thinking Chev petrol or diesel?
Scott (Bigrig) is about to drop a petrol chev into his GQ.

Tony

saz64
26th June 2011, 09:10 PM
Are you thinking Chev petrol or diesel?
Scott (Bigrig) is about to drop a petrol chev into his GQ.

Tony
Diesel, The firm i called only use brand new engines and transmissions straight from the crate chev 6.5 with supercharger they install or duramax 6.6 factory turbo there keeping an eye on how the new duramax 4.5's test

Dark 1
26th June 2011, 09:20 PM
Mate has one in a early model gu ute, took out the 4.2 to put in the chev. His main reason was service costs [cheaper filters, less oil] & feul economy [brunswick quoted him 12lt/100klm]. He now wishes he'd left the 4.2 in, the only thing he likes is the power as for economy & reliability no good. His words not mine.

YNOT
26th June 2011, 09:28 PM
Diesel, The firm i called only use brand new engines and transmissions straight from the crate chev 6.5 with supercharger they install or duramax 6.6 factory turbo there keeping an eye on how the new duramax 4.5's test

There is a fella in our 4WD club who is installing a supercharged 6.5 in his GU at the moment.
Duramax 6.6 (LBZ) is a ball tearer of a motor.
Last I heard the Duramax 4.5 (LMK) had been shelved at the end of its development due to the financial crisis. I'm really hoping they take it off the shelf and put it in production because it sounds like a brilliant motor.

Tony

saz64
26th June 2011, 09:35 PM
Mate has one in a early model gu ute, took out the 4.2 to put in the chev. His main reason was service costs [cheaper filters, less oil] & feul economy [brunswick quoted him 12lt/100klm]. He now wishes he'd left the 4.2 in, the only thing he likes is the power as for economy & reliability no good. His words not mine.

i've read brunswick get old engines and rebuild them ,the firm i've talked to say the newer engines have overcome the design problems of the old, have to do more homework.

YNOT
26th June 2011, 09:37 PM
Check out Bullet cars; http://www.bulletcars.com/parts/engine-parts/chev-diesel-engines.html

Tony

Dark 1
26th June 2011, 09:42 PM
i've read brunswick get old engines and rebuild them ,the firm i've talked to say the newer engines have overcome the design problems of the old, have to do more homework.

Good luck hope it works out for ya.

saz64
26th June 2011, 09:44 PM
There is a fella in our 4WD club who is installing a supercharged 6.5 in his GU at the moment.
Duramax 6.6 (LBZ) is a ball tearer of a motor.
Last I heard the Duramax 4.5 (LMK) had been shelved at the end of its development due to the financial crisis. I'm really hoping they take it off the shelf and put it in production because it sounds like a brilliant motor.

Tony

The financial crisis does play a part but i think the new engines are failing on the test bench and i hope they do overcome the problems because this engine coupled with a six speed auto would make the troll an awesome machine

saz64
26th June 2011, 09:51 PM
Check out Bullet cars; http://www.bulletcars.com/parts/engine-parts/chev-diesel-engines.html

Tony

There the guys i talked to,but i'll sit on the fence for now and see how your mate goes with his project.

PattyWgnOwen
10th July 2011, 10:59 PM
i dont know anything about them but Linquip on the sunny coast appear to do chev conversions as well, using new 6.5 motors.
From what I have gleened, bullet are geared to high performance not general motoring, and consequently are expensive?
If you want fuel economy, the 6.5 chev is good, but you probably wont want to add a turbo or supercharger?
If money is an issue, go back to a 6.2 or 6.0 instead?