PDA

View Full Version : Buying Nissan Patrol 2002 3lt Turbo Diesel

Trackerbillies
26th June 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi there

We are about to purchase a Nissan Patrol 2002 Turbo Diesel with 194,000 kms on the clock. We are wondering if anyone knows whether this is one of the BLOW UP series? Any information would be of great help! We are a young family and wanting to use the car to travel around australia towing a Jayco Swan Outback Camper. Is this a good reliable engine? What's the fuel economy like?

Thanks

YNOT
26th June 2011, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. 2002 model should have a low likelyhood of failure but at a minimum I would be fitting boost and pyro (exhaust temp gauge) guages to keep an eye on the engine. I have a 2003 model 3lt auto and have done the full list of 'engine saver mods' (and fitted a big exhaust) just to be sure. Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4421-Caring-for-your-diesel&highlight=gren02

My car is just a weekender so I've never bothered to keep track of fuel consumption, it has plenty of power to pull my heavy camper trailer.
It has been reliable but then it does less than 5,000km per year.

Tony

Woof
26th June 2011, 08:20 PM
Hey mate, always good to post up an introduction before asking questions just to get everyone on side.
Being that you are a young family and want to travel around Australia towing a camper...........................personally I would not take the risk with a 2002 3.0litre, not say that anything could go wrong but I would not risk it.

the godfather
26th June 2011, 09:31 PM
Hey Trackerbillies, I have 2001 model that is the blow version. I wouldn't let that stop me buying one. They are an exceptional vehicle. Though in saying that I would take Tonys advise and fit the gauges and do the mods. I have part done mine and should all be done for under $1000 .....
Mine goes country often and gets used a lot off road. Enjoy your trip and take plenty of pics.