PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Maxtrax mounting brackets to high lift jack

gazq
8th March 2020, 08:21 PM
So I can't claim this as an original idea. I found some USA company that makes a much neater/prettier version so I adapted it, simplified it and beefed it up. Anyways, I don't run a roof rack and have been annoyed at what a PIA these things are to store. Never-mind trying to get them out with all their knobbly bits getting caught on any interior or other gear stored inside the troll.

So with some 3cm and 2cm angle iron, flat bar I had laying around and 40 bucks worth of maxtrax mounting pins I knocked up my own.

Cut up some metal to make up some brackets with holes drilled and polished ready for welding.

Basic idea is to use the two bits of angle iron welded together with a couple of captured nuts incorporated.

Captured nuts glued on. I'm a pretty shocking welder so you'll have to overlook the ugly booger welds. So far everything I've made has held together.

Yay some heat penetration! That intro to welding Adult Ed class I took like 10 years ago is paying off.

Tacked the smaller 2cm angle iron in place covering the captured nuts.

Bottom bracket test bolted

Both brackets fitted and maxtrax bolt pins in place.

Brackets mounted from the backside of the jack.

Forgot to mention I already had one of those high lift jack holders that bolts to the spare wheel studs.

I now have easily accessible maxtrax....so now i can take the easy way out. :P

FIN.

EDIT: The brackets are currently drying with primer and waiting to be painted. Might post a final pic once thats done, but you get the jist of it from this.