PDA

View Full Version : 3.0lt GU Patrols - Grenade Facts

YNOT
28th June 2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks to YNOT for the detailed response on why people call some 3lt diesel motors "Grenades".

There are heaps of threads on other forums on the subject (sounds like you found some of them), but the early ZD30 engines fitted to GU series 2 had reliabillity issues and developed a reputation as a grenade that could go off with out warning at any time. Series 3 onwards are more reliable, but it still pays to take a few precautions to make sure they stay reliable.

Most engine failures seemed to be caused by fouling of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor with crank case ventilation vapours, causing the sensor to send incorrect air flow data to the engine computer. This results usually in over fueling, raising Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT's) to dangerous levels, which melts pistons and damages other engine components. Air flow into the cylinders can also be reduced (by Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) carbon combining with the PCV oil vapours building up in the inlet manifold. Reducing air flow to the cylinders makes the over fueling situation worse.

There is a series of modifications (engine saver mods) that can be done to eliminate the causes of these faults.
As Nisspat said, it's usually the 4.2 owners that call them grenades.

Tony

old briney
28th August 2010, 12:58 PM
What are the mod's ? PLEASE

patch697
28th August 2010, 01:29 PM
What are the mod's ? PLEASE

You'll find lost of info & step by step in this document posted in the DIY section the this forum. Link provided below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?89-Nissan-Patrol-Reference-Document.

Cheers
Paul

nissanjorin
17th April 2011, 07:53 PM
You'll find lost of info & step by step in this document posted in the DIY section the this forum. Link provided below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?89-Nissan-Patrol-Reference-Document.

Cheers
Paul

Have tried to download the above but can't - message says I have to have 25 posts before I can access this document? Any suggestions?

AB
17th April 2011, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, I suggest you get 25 posts under your belt.

Put up an intro in the introductions section, post up your rig in the members ride section, join in some general chats, welcome some other new members and you'll have the manual in no time.

Sir Roofy
17th April 2011, 08:02 PM
Thats correct
sit back join in get to know a few people submitt some pics
your 25 posts will be up in know time
heck you might even want to stay longer

wnicko
27th May 2011, 08:16 PM
Is there anybody out there who is having usual 3.0ltr issues with the Series 3 and onwards. Looking at 2007/2008 model ute.

YNOT
27th May 2011, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forum wnicko, when you get a minute drop by the introductions and tell us a bit about yourself.

Series 3 onwards are very reliable with very few recorded engine failures. As with any make or model there have been isolated failures but they are few and far between. I have read a few reports of the CRD (Common Rail Diesel) engines being a bit heavy on fuel.

Tony

wnicko
30th May 2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that Tony.
A bit about myself, well you wouldn't believe it but (you might) i have always owned LANDROVERS.
Now don't turn off your computer because i am just about to buy a 07-08 cab chassis 3.0Ltr CRD Nissan.
Why, because Landrover stopped making cab chassis in 1998 when they made the TD5. Shame.
Not keen on going back to free wheeling hubs, constant 4 wheel drive (cental diff) is the go. Never had any issues with Landrovers, i've had seven and built a Discovery. There are lemons amongst all makes.
Hope to have as good a reliability record from Nissan as i did from Landrover. Sometimes it's the owner and how they drive and maintain machinery.

teleman
2nd June 2011, 06:05 PM
I was under the impression that the grenading ZD30 problem was fixed in the GU series II. can anyone please confirm??? cause mines has had no issues.

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 07:19 PM
GUII still had issues with a few engine failures, GUIII was when Nissan started to get it right. If I were you I would be fitting boost and pyro guages ASAP if you haven't already. Just because it's given no trouble so far doesn't mean it couldn't fail tomorrow, better safe than sorry.

I have a GUIII and have done all the engine saver mods.

Tony

Dirty Driver
4th September 2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for that Tony.
A bit about myself, well you wouldn't believe it but (you might) i have always owned LANDROVERS.
Now don't turn off your computer because i am just about to buy a 07-08 cab chassis 3.0Ltr CRD Nissan.
Why, because Landrover stopped making cab chassis in 1998 when they made the TD5. Shame.
Not keen on going back to free wheeling hubs, constant 4 wheel drive (cental diff) is the go. Never had any issues with Landrovers, i've had seven and built a Discovery. There are lemons amongst all makes.
Hope to have as good a reliability record from Nissan as i did from Landrover. Sometimes it's the owner and how they drive and maintain machinery.

Wnicko,
I've not heard two truer statements about cars and their reliability than these two!

DD

the godfather
4th September 2011, 10:25 PM
Same. Iseem to have a good run out of all vehicles. Then I sell them (usually to my brother) and they fail quickly. Pretty sure neglect and abuse will kill any vehicle.

beexy
27th October 2011, 08:56 PM
so is there anything i should look for buying a zd30. was looking at a 2001 series 1 walkabout that has about 240000 kms on it. i would assume checking history and getting a good mechanic to check over would be a good start but anything someone useless like me can look for to narrow down

YNOT
27th October 2011, 10:15 PM
Have a close look at the intercooler, look underneath the shroud if you can. If there is any sign of oil on the outside of the intercooler it is probably leaking and warrants further investigation. There is not much else you can check for on the engine apart from the usual oil and coolant stuff.

Tony

beexy
28th October 2011, 05:01 PM
cheers tony. will make sure i do that

turbopsi
4th December 2011, 09:08 PM
Great info, thanks

paulyg
7th January 2012, 11:56 AM
Is the zd30 worth looking at for someone who has never owned patrols before?

patch697
7th January 2012, 12:12 PM
Is the zd30 worth looking at for someone who has never owned patrols before?

The ZD30 is not a point of pride for those of us in the Patrol fraternity & if your on the hunt for a diesel & you can afford it I'd be hunting down a TD42.

However that being said, you can get a good run out of a ZD30 as long as its been well looked after & the necessary mods have been done earlish in it life.

They are an expensive thing to repair & or replace in comparison to the other engine options available though.

Sir Roofy
7th January 2012, 12:14 PM
dont buy the first 3l you see it took me nearly 12months to find the one i wanted
as patch said if its just a diesel your after go the 4.2 if you can strech the budget that far
unless its a gq then you might be lucky

paulyg
7th February 2012, 07:56 PM
Are the zd30s still failing or have most of the bad ones already failed and whats left may be more reliable?

YNOT
7th February 2012, 09:50 PM
Are the zd30s still failing or have most of the bad ones already failed and whats left may be more reliable?

It's much less common these days but it does still happen, I think I saw reports on here of 3 or 4 that failed last year. If you don't do the engine saver mods you are still at risk.

Tony

scrubrat
14th February 2012, 10:22 AM
It's annoying when you spend your hard earnt money on a new vehicle and then have to spend more doing mods to it so that it does'nt grenade.Saying that I love my GU and I'm in the process of doing the NADS because overall they are a great vehicle.

YNOT
14th February 2012, 10:28 AM
It's annoying when you spend your hard earnt money on a new vehicle and then have to spend more doing mods to it so that it does'nt grenade.Saying that I love my GU and I'm in the process of doing the NADS because overall they are a great vehicle.

It's a small price to pay to not have to be seen in a Toyota!

Tony

scrubrat
14th February 2012, 10:42 AM
That is so true Tony

stock patrol
14th February 2012, 07:30 PM

As Ynot said if you don't do the mods you could still be in trouble. I have a series 2 and have had no problems what so ever. When I bought it, it only had 27000 klm on the clock. Now has 167000 and all I've done is put a chip upgrade,catch can,thermo fan on top of intercooler,2 3/4 inch exhaust and that about it apart from running 5w-40 semi synthetic oil in it plus change it every 5000 klm regardless. I have plenty more to do but the finance dept is in poor shape so they have to wait. If you're shopping for one do plenty of homework on what/where it's been.

nullack
18th February 2012, 03:10 PM
Its my understanding that the early gu failures was also caused by poor piston design. I believe that oil flow to the pistons was improved in a later improved design.

aaron
19th February 2012, 02:15 PM
what about the old 2.8td i had 1 true not as much power as a 3lt or 4.2 but went every where with no trubel at all

macca86
19th February 2012, 02:52 PM
Turbo failure is what got me not engine failure and that is not a cheap exercise either. Tony is there anything to do to get better turbo life?

Big Nog
23rd February 2012, 09:08 PM
I just bought a 2001 GU II 3ltr, 15500kms.. hoping to get some tips on how to keep her from going bang.. little worried

Big Nog
23rd February 2012, 09:08 PM
should be 155000 kms..

jash
4th March 2012, 12:26 AM
my 05 3ltr has done over 250k has chip big exhaust bigger intercooler is good on fuel and pulls like better than any 4.2 ive been in. Like the 4.2 had to get 3ltr due to cost but i recon its done me proud!

Rumcajs
4th March 2012, 10:02 PM
my 05 3ltr has done over 250k has chip big exhaust bigger intercooler is good on fuel and pulls like better than any 4.2 ive been in. Like the 4.2 had to get 3ltr due to cost but i recon its done me proud!

One can only hope..... fingers crossed.

cairnsGU
10th April 2012, 06:45 PM
My 3ltr is an 2001 and just went bang.....203000km's

jimmyz
10th April 2012, 07:12 PM
I have a 2003 3.0l with chip and exhaust upgrade. Pulls my 2 tone ski boat like a steam train. 131,000km on the clock. Best 4x4 i have ever had.

Nissoj
16th April 2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Wnicko, I am also a defender freack... they are great cars. IO use them when I have to go to very bad mountain roads. They are not very comfortable but they are very good tools. I also have a coiuple of Patrols. I take them to the deserts and long distance trips... By the way I am a mountain guide based in Bolivia and owner of Andean Summits, an adventure operator. I am surprised and sad to know that Land Rover is not building the double cabs anymore!

Nissoj
18th April 2012, 01:22 PM
You scare me Rumcajs! I have just bought my first zd30 patrol. It is my first diesel patrol and I did not know about the problems. I do not think mine has the mods... I doubt I will find someone over here who knows what to do... Does anyone knows of a document or a link on how to do it oneself?

Bob
18th April 2012, 01:24 PM
You scare me Rumcajs! I have just bought my first zd30 patrol. It is my first diesel patrol and I did not know about the problems. I do not think mine has the mods... I doubt I will find someone over here who knows what to do... Does anyone knows of a document or a link on how to do it oneself?

Try this Mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4421-Caring-for-your-diesel&highlight=gren02

Coogs
14th May 2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks to YNOT for the detailed response on why people call some 3lt diesel motors "Grenades".

There are heaps of threads on other forums on the subject (sounds like you found some of them), but the early ZD30 engines fitted to GU series 2 had reliabillity issues and developed a reputation as a grenade that could go off with out warning at any time. Series 3 onwards are more reliable, but it still pays to take a few precautions to make sure they stay reliable.

Most engine failures seemed to be caused by fouling of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor with crank case ventilation vapours, causing the sensor to send incorrect air flow data to the engine computer. This results usually in over fueling, raising Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT's) to dangerous levels, which melts pistons and damages other engine components. Air flow into the cylinders can also be reduced (by Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) carbon combining with the PCV oil vapours building up in the inlet manifold. Reducing air flow to the cylinders makes the over fueling situation worse.

There is a series of modifications (engine saver mods) that can be done to eliminate the causes of these faults.
As Nisspat said, it's usually the 4.2 owners that call them grenades.

Tony
I'm about to fit a Pyrometer to my 3LTD (CRD) as a precautionary measure. Can you please advise what temp. I should look for before things go wrong!

macca86
14th May 2012, 05:28 PM
I'm about to fit a Pyrometer to my 3LTD (CRD) as a precautionary measure. Can you please advise what temp. I should look for before things go wrong!

550 degrees post turbo is normally getting too hot for a di the crd run a little hotter I believe

Fred Schenck
18th June 2012, 09:34 PM
Cross country 4X4 sell a grenade kit which worthy of aq look. http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/

alexx
5th July 2012, 07:55 PM
On teleman: I'm interested on your driving habits so i may adopt also to avoid the grenade issue. May you discuss also if you have blocked the egr or have been using a modified GU. the type of fuel you use. Thank you.

alexx
9th July 2012, 12:01 AM
That's good to know not all zd30s are bad. Maybe you were using clean fuel all the way.

mudski
9th July 2012, 05:12 PM
Cross country 4X4 sell a grenade kit which worthy of aq look. http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/

Your better off getting all the bits separately.

Dawes from me.
Needle valve from Dependable distributors in Adelaide for $93.50. I'm currently testing numerous, cheaper valves out...
Catch catch from Ebay, Provent 200, DON"T get the kit with the hoses, get them from your local hose place. Much cheaper.
Boost and EGT gauge/s. MUST be done first.
EGR plate, from me..

buzzbro
11th July 2012, 06:38 PM
hi yeah I am a newby here, but i find it interesting to note the "hand grenade theory" No one has mentioned the recall on the early zd30's in patrols, which consisted of oil capacity, service intervals, breathers and from memory the PCV valve. I saw a few failures in the early days and a bit later and some of them could also be contributed to the MAF sensor but these were ussually caused by an aftermarket dry paper filter that did not do it's job very well. they were always covered in dust and threw up codes in the nissan Consult diagnostic tool. But in saying that people got sick of replacing the OEM air filter that would pick up dust from another State and clog up. My one word of advise is if you are going to buy an early ZD 30 patrol have a look in the handbook at the capacities chart and if it has a sticker over it (eng oil and service intervals don't touch it) this is only in Aus I think
yes I was a niss mech when these came out

miller12
1st August 2012, 05:08 PM
Hey Boys

I have just brought a 07 3.0 from a mine it has 40k on the clock and its limited to 25 kmph at the monent would you's recommend that i do the mods on it before i put it on the road

threedogs
1st August 2012, 05:20 PM
Common rail diesels are fine, but fitting boost and EGT guage wouldn't hurt so you can see whats going on,

miller12
1st August 2012, 05:29 PM
Cool thanks threedogs we had a lot of trougble with oil quilitys whislt i was at Holden but once you found the right oils there wasnt a issue with carbon and blow by

bajones
3rd August 2012, 02:32 PM
New to the forum, and looking forward to some great discussions.
I have an '06 GUIV Patrol 3.0.
One thing I would like to know is, out of the major petrol companies, is there one considered the best for diesel>
I was under the impression the Shell was the best for petrol and used it where possible for my old X-Trail, but don't know about diesel.
Thanks in advance.

Coogs
3rd August 2012, 05:46 PM
BP say there diesel is cleaner however I don't think there's any real difference between it and the Caltex/ Shell product. I would however steer clear of 'bio'. I'm no expert here but have done some reading and bio might not burn as clean as real diesel.
As a precaution I wil be fitting a Water Watch separator shortly. It's a bit expensive but cheaper than a blown motor ..... that's just my bit! Incidentally .... great forum!

PS: for the moment, when outback, I fill a Jerry using a Mr Funnel. If there's no residue in the funnel filter I then fill the GU directly from the pump. No problems so far.

Womble13
1st September 2012, 05:18 PM
Hi all im new to 4x4ing and have just purchaced a 2008 patrol ex-britz camper 3.0l turbo diesel 175000kms.
so far i,ve worked out i need a boost controller, a 3in exhaust, and someone mentioned getting a dawes valve
so my question is am i on the right path before i go spending $$$ or do i only need simple mods to keep it reliable???
me and the cook have planned a trip around aussie next year we dont go extreme off roading but will be doing a lot of
dirt tracks any advice would be great.
cheers
Womble

threedogs
1st September 2012, 06:23 PM
Not too bad with the common rail, first mod is pillar pod with boost and EGT , best thing you can do. At least then you'll know whats going on. Dawes is $45 from 3barracing in the states and the needle valve is about $90 from Dependable distributers in Sth Aust.
You'll also need a Provent200 catch can, and EGR blanking plate. PM Ferret for info on that
Do the gauges first as mods like 3" Zorst will increase boost

Peter Richardson
28th September 2012, 03:18 AM
Ok, it sounds like Series 3 is the safest bet to beat the grenading issue. Can someone please suggest what month or year the series 3 were introduced, how is it you can see patrols for sale listed as 2004 while descibed as MY2003.

threedogs
28th September 2012, 07:56 AM
Think mainly early 2000s , 2003 on seemed a tad better but some went boom. NADs if affordable and well worth it.
use the search engine up the top RHS of this page, threads from Chaz Yellowfoot [guru] explain everthing.

Pukie83
12th October 2012, 05:32 PM
this place is awsome!

Bigrig
12th October 2012, 05:34 PM
this place is awsome!

Correct!! lol

Ads88
4th November 2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the comments guys just brought 07crd.

markp90
29th November 2012, 12:23 PM
Hi guys

Just out of interest what is the latest year people have heard of a 3l packing it in?
Ive had a bit of a look around and cant seem to find anything passed an 03 model going bang..
Does this Mean Nissan finally got there S*#t together and fixed it after that?

thanks
Mark

Rumcajs
29th November 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi guys

Just out of interest what is the latest year people have heard of a 3l packing it in?
Ive had a bit of a look around and cant seem to find anything passed an 03 model going bang..

Nope, Nissan didn't get it, ZD30 is still the ticking time bomb (grenade)
In the last couple of months two 2005 GU4 series expired, one with 260,000 km on the clock with all stock engine. Another one was around 180,000 km and NADS put in 20,000 km earlier. According to Nissan dealer/insider anything you get over 140,000 km is a bonus!
Other week it was another 2004 GU4 series apparently.........
There are no safe Di ZD30s, they just last a little bit longer than the earlier ones (2000-2003). On another note; there is this 08 CrD with the same piston melted failure this time its number one piston (EGR entry point is on the front cylinders for ZD30 CrD). Not sure what to think anymore.......
Deal with it.
Cheers

Maxhead
29th November 2012, 08:33 PM
Hi guys

thanks
Mark

You will always hear of a few motors blowing up no matter what brand. There is thousands of Patrols out there cruising around without missing a beat.
I've seen a few on my travels with 300k + towing big caravans and the owners totally oblivious to any issues with them. They just keep going. You will find when something goes wrong people will get on the forum to vent so you see high concentration of owners with problems on forums. I don;t doubt there was an issue with the early GU's but unless we know the actual percentages of failures we will never know how wide spread the issue was.
Stating every 3.0l is a time bomb including the CRD is just ridiculous...lol Any brand vehicle will have failures, that is life.

Find anything recent in you price range and just go and enjoy!

macca86
29th November 2012, 09:06 PM
Like the Toyota v8 td is a bucket of poo. Mates parents are into horses horses and tow floats. Many people bought them and failed. As nisshead said look how many patrols are doing the rounds and how many members here have them and going strong. Not every breakdown is the grenade problem either. Just because a maff fault injector or pump problem or fuel issue has been reported doesn't mean it grenades. Every modern diesel has its problems ask the Mazda and ford boys about cracking heads etc.

BearGUST
29th November 2012, 10:37 PM
Agree with you there, I personally know more people who have had Toyota's with blown up 1HZ's but everyone seems to think ZD30's are the devil. Oh well, mines been pretty good so far!

Someone asked earlier about MY (model years). Manufacturers do updates that are called MY2003 etc, these breakpoints can be made anytime they please which means you can have a MY2003 which was actually built in 2002, or you could have a MY2003 which wasn't registered until 2004 so that's what it will say on the Rego sticker.

NT09ST
1st December 2012, 10:49 AM
I think car manufacturers brought the MY style of dating in to get rid of the problem of having left over stock of the previous model and then not being able to sell them.

I worked at Holden for 6 yrs and from memory the change over was towards the end of the yr, i think there may be some sort of law that controlls it.

BearGUST
1st December 2012, 10:23 PM
Holden used to always do it from September but now it's just whenever they feel like it. For a while it got out of hand with MY2008, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10. Then they gave the half model year updates the flick (thank god cause it made my job a nightmare).
It's normally done to time a lot of changes that need to be coordinated together. These targeted dates change all the time so it's too hard to make it exactly on the change of calendar year.

ernstleizt
8th January 2013, 03:55 AM
i have a gu zd30 y61 series 2, with 130,000 kms on it, so far i have never experienced any many faults with it. during the 130,000 kms (10 yrs already) i replaced the clutch once, fan belt and tensioner 2x, and replaced the oil gasket just a preventive measure. i got a busted leaking radiator upon reaching 126,000 kms. i also installed a turbo timer, oil catch and a front mount intercooler, bloww off valve. i also have a dtronic chip, im also running on jaos mags 315/75/16. im planning to install a 3 inch exhaust system soon.

GarryMartin
23rd January 2013, 10:21 AM
Nope, Nissan didn't get it, ZD30 is still the ticking time bomb

Is this specific to any particular region/operating conditions or is the non-CRD ZD30 a problem regardless of which country and driving style etc? Just asking as looking to acquire a 2003/04/05 Y61 in the UK...

Rumcajs
28th January 2013, 04:12 PM
It may be more specific to Australia perhaps than UK due to much hotter conditions and it seems the mainly affected are non CrD unit.
There is also a difference to Euro specs to Australian units e.g. EGR is water cooled on European models unlike the AU unit.
It is still a lottery if you ask me but it wouldn't stop me if I really wanted the Patrol.
Choose your poison carefully.
Cheers

threedogs
28th January 2013, 04:48 PM
Also Toyota are having problems with the new Hi lux diesel Blowing up. Very hush hush but blow up they do
due to faulty washers on the injectors. 100s tojos front end snapping off, new V8 diesel drinking way too much oil.
My 4x4 is MAY 04 GU S3 build nearly done 200K only one problem that was my fault, now its nadded so expect
another 200k out of it

GarryMartin
29th January 2013, 08:50 AM
It may be more specific to Australia perhaps than UK due to much hotter conditions

And possibly driving type and distance, and even maybe fuel quality variance?

There is also a difference to Euro specs to Australian units

Yes, just trying to get my head around the various service manuals and which ones are specific to which world territories.

It is still a lottery if you ask me but it wouldn't stop me if I really wanted the Patrol.

And I'm pleased to say it won't stop me either, especially as I feel reasonably well informed on what to look for and what to watch out for, as well as what to change "just in case"... ;-)

Cheers, Garry

4WD DUDE
20th September 2013, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know how much all the precautionary mods cost?

mudski
20th September 2013, 11:20 PM
Does anyone know how much all the precautionary mods cost?

About 4hunge for the lot should be about right. Including gauge/s. Also depending if your doing the work too.

rochjas
21st September 2013, 10:57 PM
I was not going to do the whole NADS thing.... But now it's done.. I cannot believe the difference in performance. My Troll just wants to keep pulling..... about to do a 1500KM run with my camper in tow... cannot wait to see how she performs now..... Take it from me... I am the biggest sceptic when is comes to these things.... Like to leave things as the factory intended, but so glad I done the NADS... You just have to do it.....

Looks like I might need a new intercooler.. but thats on the wish list right now....

threedogs
22nd September 2013, 06:39 AM
You'll be glad you changed your intercooler, its chalk and cheese imo,
EG. How can you maintain boost if its leaking ??????
Your fuel figures will improve as well, check out the Vendor thread for Diesel Smart C/O intercoolers

Limmy
25th September 2013, 08:16 PM
does upgraded intercooler lower EGT's ?

mudski
26th September 2013, 10:22 AM
does upgraded intercooler lower EGT's ?

Yeah. Lower the egt's faster when letting off the gas and also when on the gas they would be slightly lower depending on size and flow rate of the ic.

rookiepatroller
13th February 2014, 07:46 PM
Your better off getting all the bits separately.

Dawes from me.
Needle valve from Dependable distributors in Adelaide for $93.50. I'm currently testing numerous, cheaper valves out...
Catch catch from Ebay, Provent 200, DON"T get the kit with the hoses, get them from your local hose place. Much cheaper.
Boost and EGT gauge/s. MUST be done first.
EGR plate, from me..

Hey mudski, can you explain why the egt and boost guages need to be done first? Cheers mate.

rookiepatroller
13th February 2014, 07:51 PM
BP say there diesel is cleaner however I don't think there's any real difference between it and the Caltex/ Shell product. I would however steer clear of 'bio'. I'm no expert here but have done some reading and bio might not burn as clean as real diesel.
As a precaution I wil be fitting a Water Watch separator shortly. It's a bit expensive but cheaper than a blown motor ..... that's just my bit! Incidentally .... great forum!

PS: for the moment, when outback, I fill a Jerry using a Mr Funnel. If there's no residue in the funnel filter I then fill the GU directly from the pump. No problems so far.

Gday coogs, any idea what the diesel in Darwin is like?

rochjas
14th February 2014, 02:28 PM
You'll be glad you changed your intercooler, its chalk and cheese imo,
EG. How can you maintain boost if its leaking ??????
Your fuel figures will improve as well, check out the Vendor thread for Diesel Smart C/O intercoolers

Contacted DS today and got an email back stating that they don't do them anymore..... Bugger.....
Back to the drawing board

Hodge
21st February 2014, 01:26 PM
Contacted DS today and got an email back stating that they don't do them anymore..... Bugger.....
Back to the drawing board

Just noticed a tiny leak on my IC. Was originally gonna clean it but now think it's time for replacement.
Diesel smart have a common rail one on eBay, was surprised they told you they don't do a CRD one. Considering getting one.

seekers282
27th February 2014, 06:52 PM
Is it true that y61 zd30 engine is not good at high speed which cause blown/crack head?well i got 2 friend that have the same engine as mine its been 10-11years and they aint got any overheating,blown gasket or crack head..because they dont drive over 100km/h ..mine just got top overhaul last week..i think its because i push the car too hard on the highway like 140km/h lately..

threedogs
27th February 2014, 06:58 PM
Hey mudski, can you explain why the egt and boost guages need to be done first? Cheers mate.

You fit the gauges first so any mods you make you can monitor your progress via the gauges ,
otherwise you wont know whats happening with boost or EGTs

apalsson
28th February 2014, 07:19 AM
You fit the gauges first so any mods you make you can monitor your progress via the gauges ,
otherwise you wont know whats happening with boost or EGTs

Is there any concensus on which pillar pods are better than others?
Also - I have seen some comments that mounting gauges higher than the existing cluster might get you into trouble (possibly be illegal). Does anyone know the facts on this?

threedogs
28th February 2014, 09:47 AM
I think they are illegal on cars not 4x4, cant see why as by law now you need the GPS on the right hand side .
anyway sending a PM regarding pillar Pod

threedogs
28th February 2014, 11:17 AM
heres mine others have Autron $$$ good gauges and multi function as well

apalsson
28th February 2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks mate, this looks the goods!!!
Got your PM too re legalities etc. Appreciate the help

paulyg
28th February 2014, 06:04 PM
I have the same ones as threedogs, very happy with mine too.

GU_Mudstar
15th March 2014, 02:14 PM
Hi guys, been looking on alot about the 3.0 as they seem to suit my budget and only the GU series body style appeals to my, so im pretty set on a 3.0 engine, and i guess doin mods is always gonna b part of the plan anyways, regardless of what car/engine lol

So anyways, can someone break down what exactly is needed, or mods to prevent engine failure, i gather that once these preventative mods are done, the engine should last the life time, as it address the major concerns with engine failure, or catch it before it goes bang

From what ive read, so far it is:

-EGR block off
-Oil catch can setup
-Boost/exhaust temp gauges (Where is the temp sensor best location to mount it? Right on the dump pipe or before the cat?)
-Dawes and Needle Valve (This simply a boost control method to stop over boosting?)
-Larger Intercooler

Am i missing anything else?

cheers

paulyg
15th March 2014, 03:25 PM
Go to the manuals and software section and have a look at the Nissan Patrol reference document, it will tell you everything you will need to now.

threedogs
15th March 2014, 03:27 PM
Nah that's about it temp, sensor is about 100-150 after the turbo.
Intercooler should be ok but saying that if its oily its leaking, you could remove the IC and clean it with petrol or similar
make sure its dry before you install it. Pressure test it when it out, don't use compressed air , bike pump ok to see if leaking
For me the jury is out on a larger intercooler, do you get $800 worth of extra cooling[lower EGTs] over a tigged OE one, you decide
I think its $800 I could spend elsewhere, but that's just me

GU_Mudstar
15th March 2014, 03:47 PM
cheers guys, cant access the pdf as not enough post, but if that seems to be all the parts, than GU is the car im gonna end up with along with these mods.

I cant believe how much a off the shelf IC kit is!!! LOL... can prbs make my own kit for 1/3 the price and thermo fan setup, jesus, the guys selling these kits must b laughing with how much they sell em for haha, but agreed, id rather spend the extra money on better tyres or even a save up for a front locker

threedogs
15th March 2014, 03:54 PM
anything after 04 you should be right but plenty here with earlier and going fine just do it.
too many get Paranoid over it, Since Ive been here only 2 have gone boom and one was a Cr.
more talk I think

apalsson
15th March 2014, 05:43 PM
For me the jury is out on a larger intercooler, do you get $800 worth of extra cooling[lower EGTs] over a tigged OE one, you decide
I think its $800 I could spend elsewhere, but that's just me

I agree with 3Dogs on this one. My old Patrol was a 2001 model, bought new and modified for outback work. That car was heavily used for some hard work including towing, first an Ultimate Offroad Camper and later a Supreme Getaway offroad caravan.
I did around $140,000 - 150,000Km in 2 1/2 years, including some 55,000km outback. This car never let me down which I mainly attribute to:
1. Maintenance: I faithfully had the car serviced as per Nissan's maintenance schedule every 10,000Km and if I did any hard outback trips, replaced all oils after 5,000Km
2. Cooling: My Patrol had a Nissan bulbar and a low-mount winch. I always made sure there were no restrictions to airflow in through the front grille. May of the cars that have blown engines have had high-mount winches fitted that partly restrict airflow through the radiator
3. Snorkel: These cars greatly benefit from a well fitted snorkel as it improves the flow of cool fresh air into the engine

Again, I agree with others on fitting the gauges (boost and EGT) to see what is going on inside the engine but have to say I think replacing the Intercooler "just in case" is a heavy handed approach. If there is genuinely nothing wrong with the IC, why replace it.
The $800 - $1,400 a replacement IC can cost you are in my opinion much better spent on other things.

paulyg
15th March 2014, 06:08 PM
imho I think the grenade thing is way over rated, any time something goes wrong on a ZD30 they will say its grenaded even if its something else entirely.

T-roy86
30th April 2014, 10:59 PM
Hi my 3ltr went bang and am looking to convert it to a 4.2td. The GU 4.2TD is way out of my price range so just windering if anyone has put a GQ 4.2TD motor into a GU. I have heard that the GQ motors are great just wondering if its worth putting 1 in my GU though? Any info would be great thanks

mudski
30th April 2014, 11:04 PM
imho I think the grenade thing is way over rated, any time something goes wrong on a ZD30 they will say its grenaded even if its something else entirely.

I agree here mate. Hows this. I got an email from a mechanic who has a 2009 CRD and its holed two pistons!!!! Possibly from an EGR failure. Hows that!!! Block that chit and be done with it.....

growler2058
1st May 2014, 06:31 AM
Hi my 3ltr went bang and am looking to convert it to a 4.2td. The GU 4.2TD is way out of my price range so just windering if anyone has put a GQ 4.2TD motor into a GU. I have heard that the GQ motors are great just wondering if its worth putting 1 in my GU though? Any info would be great thanks

Been done heaps mate as long as it's pre 07

Glennloo
1st May 2014, 07:42 AM
Hi all iv got issues with my zd30 serII engine stops after 1hr I'm looking at cleaning the MAF and go from there full rebuild motor was put in 1500 Km ago grrr it's doing my head in . Chin up tho ;)

paulyg
1st May 2014, 05:05 PM
Hey Mudski what happens when the egr fails?
How did that make the engine blow? and is that something we should look out for?

mudski
1st May 2014, 10:51 PM
Hey Mudski what happens when the egr fails?
How did that make the engine blow? and is that something we should look out for?

From what I was told from the mech that the EGR failed, so it was either an electrical issue or mechanical within the EGR. So I am only assuming that the EGR stayed open too long and increased the cylinder temps way too much and basically melted the piston. Or heated it up so much that it structurally failed. Another reason why we block those bloody stupid things off. Not just because of fouling up the intake alone.
Your EGR is blocked so you don't need to look out for it.
I have wondered if any of these type of threads would exist if EGR's were NOT put on these engines from day dot. There is more than just one factor to a grenading engine, like no egr blocked = high cylinder temps, shitty ECU control of turbo boost = engine having too low a boost level( rather than too high) there for increases cylinder temps again. Mix these two together and you got a big issue I reckon.

rusty_nail
2nd May 2014, 08:52 AM
thanks for all the info guys, im posting in this tread so i can easily find it and refer to it in the future.

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 02:28 PM

Pretty sure legalities of this are not good, you cant put an older engine into a newer car. You can only go the other way around...

Something to look into if going this path.

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 02:29 PM
BTW this was a great read. Especially since im looking to buy a patrol.

threedogs
19th May 2014, 05:47 PM
Pretty sure legalities of this are not good, you cant put an older engine into a newer car. You can only go the other way around...

Something to look into if going this path.
You need to match the year or better, its all to do with pollution

Lexx
21st July 2014, 01:21 PM
Great thread, thanks

Davo65
21st July 2014, 09:28 PM
Looking forward to getting access to this info Bang Head

paulvazo
23rd July 2014, 07:55 AM
Help me plaese I need this mods!!! I am Paul from Honduras i have a 2003 patrol and its going very bad, i blocked the egr but it stills ruining my maf sensor i have bought 7 sensors till now and i dont know what to do please help me

Shaft10
31st July 2014, 11:57 PM
Also Toyota are having problems with the new Hi lux diesel Blowing up. Very hush hush but blow up they do
due to faulty washers on the injectors. 100s tojos front end snapping off, new V8 diesel drinking way too much oil.
My 4x4 is MAY 04 GU S3 build nearly done 200K only one problem that was my fault, now its nadded so expect
another 200k out of it

Very true my 07 hilux blew up at 160k never missed a service they said I hadn't been servicing it. Then after my mates did the same we looked into it and found out heaps had failed they just keeping it quiet. Unbreakable my ass

mudski
1st August 2014, 07:08 PM
Help me plaese I need this mods!!! I am Paul from Honduras i have a 2003 patrol and its going very bad, i blocked the egr but it stills ruining my maf sensor i have bought 7 sensors till now and i dont know what to do please help me

Late reply but anyway.... I will bet all those MAFs are fine..Its just an overboosting issue caused from the blocked EGR. Easily fixed with a Dawes and needle valve mate.

outback
5th August 2014, 12:35 AM
Besides all the normal NADS work I still suspect there are issues with the glow plugs with the ZD30 Di engine.

Besides all other things, e.g. EGR blocks, etc., I still suspect the life of the glow plug has some limiting issues and hence the need with the ZD 30 Di engine to include the extra/additional glow plug timer and also consider physically looking at these somewhere between 50K to 80k with the deliberate intent of replacing them at that point. That is every 50 – 80k have them physically check and if they are crazing toss them and replace.

mullet_hunter
12th February 2015, 04:12 AM
good read..

Dinger
4th March 2015, 08:23 PM
What a great read thanks to all for your knowledge

Bogger
10th April 2015, 11:28 PM
I'm sure the following comments may stir the Hornets nest on an old subject...........however!

Having recently purchased my first PATROL (2011 Wagon) and being a newbie to this forum, I'm must say that I'm horrified at the amount of negativity towards the 3.0ltr Turbo diesel engine.
If I had joined this forum prior to purchasing my first Patrol, I would most likely have purchased something other than a Nissan............

Anyway, the first step is to install NADS right, so down to the local 4 x 4 store I go to enquire about a Catch Can only to be advised that they are illegal?

So I have two questions :

1) I guess different states have different rules, but is fitting NADS actually legal?
2) how does NADS effect new car warranty

I would be very interested in forum readers views as I have always believed that the Nissan Patrol was pretty much bullet proof.
Regardless, we have been very impressed with our new purchase so far.

Bogger

the evil twin
11th April 2015, 12:01 AM
Catch Cans illegal?... Bullshit!
(edit... unless you vent to atmosphere)
If the can is inserted in line so the gases are still directed back to the engine they are legal

In regards your questions...
1) If your vehicle still passes emissions (which it won't if you block EGR) it is legal
2) Tear up your engine warranty (unless all you fit is a catch can, most manuf are OK with them but you need to check)
Dawes, Needle, EGR etc will all void warranty

4bye4
11th April 2015, 12:17 AM
G'day mate - yes you are right about reigniting a hornets nest.
Ok my opinion only;
I think in all states it is against the law to interfere with the pollution control equipment on a vehicle. Therefore blocking the EGR plate makes NADS illegal.
It is also illegal to have a manual boost adjustment in the vehicle so this also makes NADS illegal. Not sure about catch cans but probably illegal. Anyway there are enough points to make the fitting of NADS illegal. But, you must remember that these laws were to prevent people turning street cars into road rockets and not much thought was ever given to the advantages hat may be given to engine longevity. If you are a box ticker, NADS mod are illegal.
New car warranty; Again if you are a boxticker, the vehicle has been illegally modified and therefor the warranty is void.
However, if you want to be a realist, not just a boxticker, IMO doing sensible mods that are good for the reliability and longevity of the motor, and do not turn the vehicle into a weapon are a good and acceptable idea. As for avoiding warranty by using the fact that the vehicle is NADS fitted would only be a means to an end for the particular person/dealer. If avoiding warranty is the aim there are many ways of doing it and that would just be a convenient one.
A couple of other points. Firstly we hear a lot about 3ltrs detonating, but often not the background of how they were used or abused. Secondly, people who do not have problems don't write that on forums. I would have to agree that too high a proportion of the early 3ltrs had issues, but they are over represented on the various forums because as I say people that don't have issues don't write in. Issues often gather their own momentum as they are agreed to in popular media as well. Recently on this forum a member wrote that his dads unmodified 3 ltr had turned over half a mill k. I guess if it blows now everyone will say "there goes another one".
Lastly, if your is a 2011 model, you don't really have to do anything legal or illegal to the motor to keep it safe.
If your Patrol has been treated properly and you continue to treat it properly you should get a good long life from it.
Me, Iv'e got a 2005 GU4 which is just out of the suspect range and going great at nearly 200000k. If it does break well I guess thems the breaks.LOL

outback
11th April 2015, 12:20 AM
You need to match the year or better, its all to do with pollution

Yes and when your 2005 GU IV DZ 30 Di motor goes make sure you replace it will some from that vintage or newer. Too many older recon motors around with their issues.

outback
11th April 2015, 12:27 AM
G'day mate - yes you are right about reigniting a hornets nest.
Ok my opinion only;
Not sure about catch cans but probably illegal.

Catch cans on their own don't change much if anything at all re pollution controls nor change the performance of the motor. So I would doubt they are illegal unless its called a motor modification by the various government transport bodies.

the evil twin
11th April 2015, 12:33 AM
Catch cans on their own don't change much if anything at all re pollution controls nor change the performance of the motor. So I would doubt they are illegal unless its called a motor modification by the various government transport bodies.

Agree,
Catch Can in line (as 99% are) = legal
Catch Can to atmosphere = illegal

outback
11th April 2015, 12:41 AM
Agree,
Catch Can in line (as 99% are) = legal
Catch Can to atmosphere = illegal

Why bother with a catch can if it is going to atmosphere??

outback
11th April 2015, 01:03 AM
Ok some thoughts:
My ZD30 Di had a cracked head and lost coolant so I slightly scoured the cylinder walls. The engine still pulled me along with no noticeable performance loss in a 400Km trip. Day temp 42 deg C. Ok motor 168K km and I don’t know what its prior life was before I bought the patrol, (2005 GU IV).

Anyway after all that took in to my mechanic shop.
After some to and fro with our wonderful Nissan got one of the very few new motors.

New motor in vehicle.
Reinstalled:
EGR block, Dawes valve, Catch can.

Added
Glow plug timer set to 15 sec
Single mass flywheel
Heavy-duty clutch
Full metal radiator

Nissan knew what was going to be added. Seemed to be no drama with warranty. Anyway if it has issues some things will vanish.

After looking at the old motor I will say that unless you do the following:
Physically check glow plugs about 50 – 80,000 kms and if slightly crazed/chewed – change
At least at 100,000km physically check injectors.
Clean MAF about every 10,000km.
Recommend oil and filters change every 5,000 km

Also if you don’t have a snorkel, get one.
You will be surprised what will get in to the air box and put a hole in that paper filter.

mudski
11th April 2015, 01:47 AM
I'm sure the following comments may stir the Hornets nest on an old subject...........however!

Having recently purchased my first PATROL (2011 Wagon) and being a newbie to this forum, I'm must say that I'm horrified at the amount of negativity towards the 3.0ltr Turbo diesel engine.
If I had joined this forum prior to purchasing my first Patrol, I would most likely have purchased something other than a Nissan............

Anyway, the first step is to install NADS right, so down to the local 4 x 4 store I go to enquire about a Catch Can only to be advised that they are illegal?

So I have two questions :

1) I guess different states have different rules, but is fitting NADS actually legal?
2) how does NADS effect new car warranty

I would be very interested in forum readers views as I have always believed that the Nissan Patrol was pretty much bullet proof.
Regardless, we have been very impressed with our new purchase so far.

Bogger
The Nissan Patrols are bullet proof mate. Just not grenade proof. Lol.

My Direct Injection goes well. Really well. I'm just trying to save a much coin as I can for a TD42 conversion before the pin drops. Although it doesn't seem like its going to happen anytime soon. Which is good... Its the Di motors that cop the grief, not the Common Rails... Well not so much.

jd1566
26th June 2015, 05:47 AM
Hello All,
I'm fairly new on the forum but I managed to get my hand on the Nissan Patrol Reference Document.. and I've read it twice! I'll soon be getting (about a month to go) a 2008 GL 3lt diesel patrol wagon. It's done 100k and the previous owner has just done a major service on it, changing the tensioner on the belts (+ belts), a steering damper, and an electric window, rear shocks and a bunch of other small odds and ends and filters and oils. What I seemed to understand from the reference doc is that newer Patrols have had issues ironed out that perhaps plagues older models and are the main points of discussion in than reference doc.

So my feeling is that some of the supposed "fixes" that are suggested in the reference doc may be unnecessary or out of date for my 2008 model, and besides fitting a snorkel and an oil catch-can there's not really much else I should be doing (at this stage). Just a note I'll be doing moderate 4x4ing, a lot of city driving, little or no towing and moderate highway driving. Any other experiences with 2008 model Patrols that I should know about? And which mods are really necessary/recommended.

Thanks

4bye4
26th June 2015, 09:30 AM
Hello All,
I'm fairly new on the forum but I managed to get my hand on the Nissan Patrol Reference Document.. and I've read it twice! I'll soon be getting (about a month to go) a 2008 GL 3lt diesel patrol wagon. It's done 100k and the previous owner has just done a major service on it, changing the tensioner on the belts (+ belts), a steering damper, and an electric window, rear shocks and a bunch of other small odds and ends and filters and oils. What I seemed to understand from the reference doc is that newer Patrols have had issues ironed out that perhaps plagues older models and are the main points of discussion in than reference doc.

So my feeling is that some of the supposed "fixes" that are suggested in the reference doc may be unnecessary or out of date for my 2008 model, and besides fitting a snorkel and an oil catch-can there's not really much else I should be doing (at this stage). Just a note I'll be doing moderate 4x4ing, a lot of city driving, little or no towing and moderate highway driving. Any other experiences with 2008 model Patrols that I should know about? And which mods are really necessary/recommended.

Thanks

2008 is a Common rail Diesel and does not have grenade issues. Catchj can is always a good idea on any diesel.

Rock Trol
26th June 2015, 11:51 AM
A friend of mine in the RAA told me that the early Di's (2000-2002) did have the hand grenade issue but it got better with each revision. By 2006 the Di's where much more reliable. Since the CRD's where introduced the failure rate of the 3.0 litre is the same as for other manufacturers. This is based on call outs to tow cars and workshop info from associated RAA approved repairers etc.
He even mentioned that if you call the RAA and ask them for advise on cars they do not suggest you buy a Di for towing but CRD's are alright. I haven't called to verify this though.

Stevelb21
26th June 2015, 09:36 PM
I have just read this entire thread and found it very interesting to say the lest.

One point I'd like to bring up is.... if this was an inherent problem, why have Nissan not done a recall on the motor to address the issues, or do Nissan totally reject that there is a fault with said motors.

Are the motors a Renault motor as ive been told this

Rock Trol
27th June 2015, 12:41 AM
I have just read this entire thread and found it very interesting to say the lest.

One point I'd like to bring up is.... if this was an inherent problem, why have Nissan not done a recall on the motor to address the issues, or do Nissan totally reject that there is a fault with said motors.

Not all motors blow up so Nissan can deny its a problem. No one really knows the exact percentage of grenades. While you hear most of the horror stories, you don't always hear of the ones doing big km's without problems as a lot of owners don't get on the web to research their cars if there are no problems. The danger is that if you read too much you start worrying constantly. I am not sure if ignorance is bliss in this situation.

Rumcajs
27th June 2015, 03:07 PM

These ZD30s are not Renault motors, if they were they'd be fixed long time ago! In any case no European engineer (except Bosch cretins) would put his name to such abomination. It is standard Japanese engineering afterthoughts!

Nissan just follows established standards of Japanese culture; "never admit failure to risk loosing your face" aka shame!

When you look at any Japanese manufacturers the tendency is to deny/lie/avoid/obfuscate anything but admit fail until they're cornered like the filthy rats and exposed! Toyota, Mitsubishi, Takata, Sony, Panasonic, Nintendo ..... the list is endless. Heck, look at the successive conservative Japanese governments, to this day they will not admit to the crimes committed in WW2. No apologies, no souls searching, no public admissions like Germans for example.

Regards

Stevelb21
27th June 2015, 06:07 PM
I thought I'd ask the question about it being Renault, I either read it or heard someone say it , just wanted to be sure

Rock Trol
27th June 2015, 07:35 PM
I read somewhere that the ZD30 is the first diesel engine that Nissan has designed. All the other diesels (TD42 etc) where designed by UD which was part of Nissan. When they had their financial difficulties in the late 90's the truck division was sold off and Nissan went to Renault. That's when they designed the engine and why Renault gets the blame. I think the ZD30 is also used by Renault in some of their trucks/vans.

The YD25 is Nissans second effort at diesel and I think is much better. The 3.0 litre V6 is Renault through and through. That's why they where only installed in the Navara which is also built in Spain(?).

Stevelb21
27th June 2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks Rock Trol for shedding some light on it for me... cheers

milsomr
2nd July 2015, 06:06 PM
sorry, i got a quick question - having looked around for a bit i bought a 2002 pre crd engine and now a 2006 model has come up. which yer did they go to crd?

Rumcajs
2nd July 2015, 06:17 PM
around mid 2007 onwards.....

milsomr
2nd July 2015, 06:28 PM
yep. thought so. thanks for the quick bit of advice... faster than Mr Google

S.A_Stu
27th July 2015, 12:23 AM
Hey guys interesting and useful thread but i am in the position to get a patrol round the 02-04 vintage im looking at the 3.0ltr but getting concerened with all the conflicted reviews. What if any differences are there between the 02-04 year models? And obviously the 4.2ltr is the favoured heart in the troll but does that stand for the whole range right back to 99? Are the older 4.2's all good?
thanks in advance

Peanut WA
30th July 2015, 10:07 PM
Interesting read and some good points made. I am in the market for a Patrol with a budget of about $10000. This means I am looking at a 1999 - 2003 model. I was leaning towards a 2.8l due to the grenade reputation. I have seen a 2001 3.0 with 450000km on it so cant all be bad.

Hodge
31st July 2015, 07:45 AM
There are many out there mate with very high KMs . But then again , I believe all the grenade candidate ones have already popped. Although even the new CRDs are going bang.
You can always score a 3L and the NADs it and hope for the best.

nethergate
7th April 2017, 12:18 PM
hey guys. just after a bit of advice. im looking at a 03 navara d22 zd30 with 400,000 on the clock, its $4000, is it safe to say that if it was going to grinade it would of done it by now, secondly how many kms are people getting out of a zd30? after all they arent a td42.

thanks. James

4bye4
7th April 2017, 02:07 PM
hey guys. just after a bit of advice. im looking at a 03 navara d22 zd30 with 400,000 on the clock, its $4000, is it safe to say that if it was going to grinade it would of done it by now,
No, it would appear to have lasted so far but grenades can happen at any time.

secondly how many kms are people getting out of a zd30? after all they arent a td42.
It varies, I have 230,000ish on mine and another club member over here has 300,000ish with no issues. Plenty of peeps have had failures below that number of ks even on td42s.
A Navara with 400,000 on the clock will have some wear and tear, not only in the motor. It depends on the individual vehicle. Maybe you should try a Navara forum, I think there is one.

nethergate
7th April 2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks mate. Been a member for ages so thought I'd try the clowns I know lol. Thanks for or help

Seyko
29th April 2017, 01:40 AM
Hey guys new here my intro in the intro forum, but I own a 2010 GU Patrol ZD30CRD and I stand by my car and defend when I can. A lot of people who debate about these engines really​ don't know much about them just state the same negative issues over and over again without knowing what is really going on. I have owned my truck for 3 years going on 4 and have not had any "common" 3ltr issues as people state. For a good 2.5 years I didn't have the EGR blocked and ran a 2.5" exhaust, I didn't want 3" as a lot of people experience boost spikes. It has been through heaps with me, had good times and bad times. At one stage the engine bay caught on fire from the turbo getting hot! And when it was hot I mean hot, fire was sparked from the fabric on the back of the engine bay, we were able too put it out haha. This all happened on Bribie Island beach and I had a bad spilt on my dump pipe so not only did I have a bad leak I also had a lot of the heat escaping and not getting out the back. But she's still kicking and going better than ever, it has since had EGR blocked but that's about it. These engines are strong, they produce power and can be modded for more power. You can't say bad things about a motor unless you have actually owned one, as they say you can't judge a book by it's cover and the same goes here you can't judge a motor just by what other people have said! Overall I'm very happy with my truck!

Oh no Al
10th May 2017, 09:15 PM
Does anyone know a mechanic in Adelaide that can do the nads mods?

bjcresswell
12th August 2019, 03:30 PM
Thinking about getting a 2003 ST 3L but reading a lot about the "grenade" issue. Will have a read through this forum but if anyone has any sage advice that would be very welcome :) Cheers. Ben

mudski
12th August 2019, 09:00 PM
Thinking about getting a 2003 ST 3L but reading a lot about the "grenade" issue. Will have a read through this forum but if anyone has any sage advice that would be very welcome :) Cheers. Ben

Its no denying that this is a real issue. There is plenty still going around with 300plus thou on the clock and not using a drop of oil.

Try and buy something that has already been rebuilt, or as low as possible k's on it. Even a rebuild is no guarantee you are safe. I bought mine with a 40k old motor, 50ísh though later the IP died. I ended up doing a TD swap, removed the head on the ZD and number 4 piston was cracked and ready to go. I have said to other people if you buy a 3Ltr, expect it to drop the pin, if it doesn't then great! They are a good little zippy motor. Good if you will be driving it as a daily and your living in the burbs with traffic. You can get them going pretty good to with some mods.