PDA

View Full Version : How the bleedin heck do you change oil filters?

macca
23rd June 2011, 03:07 PM
Changing the oil filters on a 4.2 diesel has to be the dirtiest bleedin job I have ever done on a vehicle.
There has to be a way to stop oil running all over the side of the engine, starter, diff etc.
Not to mention the driveway.
I put down a sheet of plastic this time, wiped most of it up then degreased the motor before washing it all off.
What a PITA.
Any ideas how to do it would be appreciated as I am making a dogs breakfast of it.
Even thought of letting a mechanic do it, just got to make sure the oil and filters are what I want used though.
Thanks in advance
Macca

timbar
23rd June 2011, 04:47 PM
my oil filter is on the rhs and i put a ramp or jack under the LHS so when i take the filter off it misses the block but always remove sump plug and drain majoity of the oil first

patch697
23rd June 2011, 05:02 PM
Mate its pretty much the same deal with the TB42's & all I can tell ya is, I try to get it on as quick as I can but some spillage is imminent...lol

Sorry but thats al I have for ya..... Might keep an eye on this one to pick up some tips myself.

Gert B Frobe
23rd June 2011, 07:46 PM
Even thought of letting a mechanic do it, just got to make sure the oil and filters are what I want used though.
Thanks in advance
Macca

Any decent mechanic will put what you want in there as long as you are prepared to pay for the items. Either that or purchase the bits you want and provide them at the time of the service and ask to see them installed.

Clunk
23rd June 2011, 11:01 PM
all I know is, you need arms like Mr Tickle (from the Mr Men) to change the oil filter on a TB42E !!!!!!! hahahaha

xtreme patrol
24th June 2011, 01:27 AM
Just put a plastic shopping bag over the oil filter after you get it loose first so once its starts to drip oil the bag collects it.
Works on my TB45

GUte
24th June 2011, 02:51 AM
Im usually more worried about the mud thats caked around the filters!

macca
24th June 2011, 10:35 AM
Yep I tried the rags with some success but dont have Mr Tickle arms which makes it difficult.
Like the plastic bag idea combined with raising the left side.
Got to do another 5000klm to try these ideas but they do have alot of merit, thanks guys.
Keep em coming
Macca

nowoolies
24th June 2011, 10:45 AM
i cheat these days .....i give the bus to a mechanic hahahah
no mess in the drive way now , still got stains on it though from past efforts

Boagie
24th June 2011, 09:47 PM
yeah---i just got my bus serviced(oil and filters)---cost $300 !!!!-sheet--i might be tryin that plastic bag/ ramp scenario next time!!!lol

G-ForceCrew
6th July 2011, 07:48 PM
Hi Guys, For a laugh. I change mine on the neighbours front lawn when he goes out then quickly mow his lawns. He brings over the beers to say thanks and when we have finished the box he looks at me strange because the lawn mower is away and my own lawns have not been mowed. JUST KIDDING lol

Kel

TUR7LE
6th July 2011, 08:17 PM
I will be using the hoist at work but usually just be quick n clean with brake clean afterwards ..( brake clean also will clean the driveway if it's not been sitting there for a week)

MudRunnerTD
9th July 2011, 12:48 AM
There is a guy on another forum that has designed a bolt on catch tray made out of something like a 30 x 30 U channel. It bolts on and has a hose out the bottom to drain the catch to the bucket. It remains fitted to the vehicle permanently and i have a couple on order. Very cool little jigger.

He has gone to a fair bit of trouble and it catches every drop.

I just went o have a look for it but the thread has been removed with the pics as he is going into production and will become a Vendor on that forum with his item, I will encourage him to come here when he releases it and list it here for all to see also. Great item and fixes this problem.

His user name on the other forum is "Chicken"

AB
9th July 2011, 09:54 AM
There is a guy on another forum that has designed a bolt on catch tray made out of something like a 30 x 30 U channel. It bolts on and has a hose out the bottom to drain the catch to the bucket. It remains fitted to the vehicle permanently and i have a couple on order. Very cool little jigger.

He has gone to a fair bit of trouble and it catches every drop.

I just went o have a look for it but the thread has been removed with the pics as he is going into production and will become a Vendor on that forum with his item, I will encourage him to come here when he releases it and list it here for all to see also. Great item and fixes this problem.

His user name on the other forum is "Chicken"

Thanks Dazz, would be good to see that product and himself on here mate.

Gert B Frobe
9th July 2011, 05:55 PM
yeah---i just got my bus serviced(oil and filters)---cost $300 !!!!-sheet--i might be tryin that plastic bag/ ramp scenario next time!!!lol

Unlucky mate,

Even someone paying retail prices and having minor mechanical nouse should be able to do the filter and oil change for around $100 (good quality oil and filter) plus a little bit of change for a couple of amber bevvies.

But the placcy bag suggestion is pretty ace for most backyarders which im sure the majority of us are.

Just my two cents

MQ MAD
9th July 2011, 06:19 PM
The last oil and filter change i had done by a mechanic
(i was working looooong hours, so i drink beer on time of ,not work on cars)
It was for our GU
A simple oil filter off, old oil out,new oil in and a new filter was $100
That was well over 6 years ago
To buy a new oil filter and new oil for the TB42 costs most of that $100 nowadays and i have to do the job myself

The TB42s are a pain with spilage but its a minimum lately
Wanna try the old SD33 , the oil holds in a canister with a big bolt
Just pull the canister just a whisker of the block ,and its everywhere
Tilt the canister back ,and it can spill out the back

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2011, 10:11 PM
well i had to go looking for this thread but here is a pic of the oil catch tray i talked about above.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/chickenlittle123/IMG_4824.jpg

This guy has just contacted me with a very limited stock which is likely to be gone now but you get the idea and i think a few will be keen on a kit from him.

Here is an extract from an email he sent me.

The drain attachment will come ready to bolt up, with exception of the fitting the rubber hose. Each unit has been physically fitted to an oil cooler to make sure of trouble free fitting.

The kit includes :
- 1 x Filter drain, which will be a steel unit, that has been electro plated.
- 1 x Oil resistant hose
- 1 x Stainless hose clamp
- Instructions
- The price of the kit will also include postage and handling.
Total price of the kit will be $100 inc. P+H.

I will grab 2 of these off him and fit them to each of my TD42s during their next oil changes and let you guys know what i think if you like.

I have also clipped a link to this thread to Chicken and he might come by and say G'day.

Cheers MR

macca
26th July 2011, 07:14 AM
Muddy could you send me his email or post it here if he doesnt mind, I want one of these they look great. Thanks for posting
Macca

paulthekelly
31st July 2011, 11:00 PM
I bought one of these of Chicken about 6 weeks ago, fitted it up ok (the rear bolt is a C U Next Tuesday to get out - you just cannot get any leverage on the bastard and when it does let go you smack your knuckles into the sharp machined edges of the oil filter faces) but once it is in place it looks like it was a factory fit. Schmicko. And it works to boot, just stick a bucket under the hose to catch what drips out of the hose (leave it there for an hour though, the oil will take a while to finish dripping out of the hose.)
I reckon this was good money well spent.
If you've got the time, and a couple of bucks to spend on the right tools, the oil & filter swap is a pinch of piss.
Cheers.
PK

chicken
4th August 2011, 05:15 PM
G'Day Fellas,
Thankyou Mudrunner & paulthekelly for the word of mouth, appreciate it.

Great to see PK that your happy with it, and you feel its a usfull thing to have. Its made my life easier.

As MR sugested i come on here and say hello, so HELLO.

At the moment i have these made to suit the TD42 that have the same 2 oil filters, I'm still trying to get hold of a oil housing that has the 2 different oil filters, and once i have that, i will have them avaliable resonably quickly. (so if anyone has a housing that i'm after please let me know)

I currently have 60 of these nearly ready to go off and be electroplated, so within the next week or 2 i will have these ready to go, and will have them up for sale in the appropiate section

If anyone want to know any more about these feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Chicken

macca
4th August 2011, 05:32 PM
I'll have one, about 500klm till I have to change the oil so might get to fit it this change, you ripper.
Keep an eye out for when youre ready
Macca

chicken
9th August 2011, 11:57 AM
Yep no-worries Macca, I'll PM you when ready.

Cheers, Chicken

sjmjwest
25th April 2017, 07:22 PM
G'Day Fellas,
Thankyou Mudrunner & paulthekelly for the word of mouth, appreciate it.

Great to see PK that your happy with it, and you feel its a usfull thing to have. Its made my life easier.

As MR sugested i come on here and say hello, so HELLO.

At the moment i have these made to suit the TD42 that have the same 2 oil filters, I'm still trying to get hold of a oil housing that has the 2 different oil filters, and once i have that, i will have them avaliable resonably quickly. (so if anyone has a housing that i'm after please let me know)

I currently have 60 of these nearly ready to go off and be electroplated, so within the next week or 2 i will have these ready to go, and will have them up for sale in the appropiate section

If anyone want to know any more about these feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Chicken

Hi Chicken

I know this is an old post but are you still making these?

Thanks

Stephen West

MudRunnerTD
25th April 2017, 07:43 PM
Hi Chicken

I know this is an old post but are you still making these?

Thanks

Stephen West

Hi Steve,

Yes it believe Chicken is still making them but he now works International FIFO, so he doesn't get allot of time. He never really got active here which is a shame but he is about. I have him on Facebook. You will find him there for sure.

He has developed them a little as it turned out the originals ones only fitted the GQ and he had to redesign them for the GU.

Stropp and I were beta testers for his GU units and I have one fitted to both my GQ and my GU. The best bit of kit ever!.

Stropp
25th April 2017, 11:07 PM
Hi Steve,

Yes it believe Chicken is still making them but he now works International FIFO, so he doesn't get allot of time. He never really got active here which is a shame but he is about. I have him on Facebook. You will find him there for sure.

He has developed them a little as it turned out the originals ones only fitted the GQ and he had to redesign them for the GU.

Stropp and I were beta testers for his GU units and I have one fitted to both my GQ and my GU. The best bit of kit ever!.

Yes they are good however they don't work on some aftermarket starter motors

Tip12345
26th June 2017, 09:25 AM
thats the easy bit how do you get the oil filter out after you have un done it there is no room I think unbolting the inter cooler ! surely not .

Cuppa
26th June 2017, 09:52 AM
thats the easy bit how do you get the oil filter out after you have un done it there is no room I think unbolting the inter cooler ! surely not .

Probably depends how big your hands are. I unbolt the fuel filter bracket & unclip & move a couple of vacuum lines out of the way & can then just have sufficient rom to lift the old filters out.

MudRunnerTD
26th June 2017, 10:07 AM

As Cuppa said, assuming you have a GU then unbolt the top of the Fuel filter bracket and move it out of the way and you will have a heap of room. I generally change the fuel filter while I'm there too. To remove the fuel filter unbolt the bracket, invert it and bolt it on upside down and you can lessen the full filter with ease ;)

Josh Bowler
12th October 2017, 11:02 PM
As Cuppa said, assuming you have a GU then unbolt the top of the Fuel filter bracket and move it out of the way and you will have a heap of room. I generally change the fuel filter while I'm there too. To remove the fuel filter unbolt the bracket, invert more (https://vogueplay.com/au) and bolt it on upside down and you can lessen the full filter with ease ;)

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification!

Avo
13th October 2017, 01:28 AM
That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification!

are you happy now

bazzaboy
13th October 2017, 07:27 AM
Park with one side on gutter, bricks, or something to have filters slightly downhill. Drain engine and then drive a large "stumpy" screwdriver into the filters. Drain and then remove.

Hodge
13th October 2017, 08:56 AM
Park with one side on gutter, bricks, or something to have filters slightly downhill. Drain engine and then drive a large "stumpy" screwdriver into the filters. Drain and then remove.
This is exactly what i do.
Dump the oil . And then jack the passengers side right up as much as possible so oil in the filter stays in the filters due to created anti-spill angle. Then stuff a few rags under the filters.
Take fuel filter assembly off and tuck to the side . Take oil filters off. Minimum mess.

If changing fuel filter . Hoses off. Unbolt the unit. Drain excess diesel out of it.
Then bolt it back on upside down and unscrew.
Bobs your aunty !

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

GeeYou8
8th June 2018, 08:11 AM
I just found this, I haven't owned a TD42 for a long time.
OMG this has been made difficult, a 2 litre ice cream container wedges in under the filters perfectly & catches almost all of the oil.
Graham

mudski
8th June 2018, 08:31 AM
I just found this, I haven't owned a TD42 for a long time.
OMG this has been made difficult, a 2 litre ice cream container wedges in under the filters perfectly & catches almost all of the oil.
Graham

I just buy a spray can of engine degreaser everytime I buy the filters. Let the oil run its path then use the entire can of degreaser on the affected area. Lol.

Cuppa
8th June 2018, 09:04 AM
The method I seem to have adopted is

1. Use a chain type filter wrench
2. Unbolt fuel filter & tie off to one side
3. move vacuum hoses out of the way
4. Loosen each filter, one at a time, when loose enough to undo by hand place a plastic bag over the filter (supermarket shopping bag) & as soon as the filter is free tip it upright.
5.Still doesn't catch every drop, but it does result in less spillage.

Whoever thought horizontally mounted filters in a spot requiring 'rubber' arms to remove them was a good idea obviously didn't have to change them.

the evil twin
8th June 2018, 10:50 AM
Whoever thought horizontally mounted filters in a spot requiring 'rubber' arms to remove them obviously didn't have to change them.

Or still holds a grudge and is getting even after the Grandparents got nuked back in '45

jack
8th June 2018, 12:43 PM
Or still holds a grudge and is getting even after the Grandparents got nuked back in '45

Thankfully age hasn’t dulled your wit ET, always entertaining hearing from you.

Canigetanamen
23rd March 2020, 06:09 AM
Anyway to find out if Chicken has at least one of these unit available for me to buy?
Thanks.

Hodge
23rd March 2020, 08:24 AM
Anyway to find out if Chicken has at least one of these unit available for me to buy?
Thanks.

Just message him direct. I think he roams around on the other Patrol forum.

geoffayres
25th March 2020, 10:18 PM
I pull the sump plug and let it drain overnight, then remove the filters the next morning.
Most of the oil in the filters runs back into the sump (anti-drain back valves don't work very well).
I slip a shopping bag over the filters before spinning them off.
It doesn't stop all of the mess, but it does greatly reduce it. A couple of rags up under the filters catches any dregs