PDA

View Full Version : To GAS or not to GAS???

Kwakka73
23rd June 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi All

I have a '91 GQ 4.2 Petrol and I am looking for greater fuel efficieny (as you would know the 4.2's are a bit of a guzzler) and the only option I can think of is GAS? Just not sure if I want to go that way so keen to hear +'s vs -'s and any other options (maybe cheaper??) to consider. Truck is mainly driven on road and to tow the dirt bike on weekends (And it's an Auto).

Cheers!

Bob
23rd June 2011, 10:44 AM
Hi Mate and welcome. It is the usual practice on the Forum to Post up an Introduction in the Introduction Thread before asking questions however no harm done and I am sure that you will get some input ftom the Members.

Bigrig
23rd June 2011, 11:12 AM
Hey mate - LPG is a good option if you aren't planning on any outback stuff where supply is limited, but for general run around, carrying the bikes etc, then a good thing - I'm actually getting rid of mine as it doesn't suit my purposes (have an auto also), but I guess the biggest decision to make is whether you'll actually be saving in the long run - if you're forking out (after rebate) a couple of thousand and are only saving (let's say) $20 a week on fuel costs post the installation, then you are at least 50 weeks away from getting any return on investment (nearly 2 years!!).

Good luck with it, welcome aboard and as said, slip over to the introductions section and post up a bit about yourself and your rig - just a courtesy thing and let's people on here know who you are and who they're yapping with!!!

All the best!

timbar
23rd June 2011, 02:45 PM
for me gas conversion is a good option i do atleast 1000kms a week on minimum towing a trailer i dont find much loss in power which is good but the lpg does run litre for litre against petrol so work ur calculations from that look at fuel prices and conversion price work out how long it willtake before you start saving money and how long you plan on keeping the patrol and that all added up should give the risk factop to give you your answer to the question you just asked

Good Luck Mate
for me its a go but what suits you ???

patch697
23rd June 2011, 05:35 PM
Im in the same model Patrol as you & when I got mine it had duel fuel on it so no outlay to recover but I do MEGA ks & if I didn't have LPG it would be parked up at home & I would be driving something else.

With the setup I have its cutting my fuel bill by around 50% so yeah im more than happy to have it. I also have an after market 120ltr long range fuel tank so when I know im not going to be near a servo with Gas I fill it up with petrol & I've got about 6 to700 ks on the black stuff & around 5, 550ish off road so I think im pretty muck covered