PDA

View Full Version : Forward fold campers

0-TJ-0
29th January 2020, 02:42 PM
Hi all, didnt know whether its better etiquette to start a new thread or dredge an old one but here we are.

After a brilliant long weekend away at the river me and the mrs have decided we're back in the market for a camper. I've had a reasonable think about it and like the look and pros of a forward fold camper trailer. Anyone had any experience with them? Ive had a soft floor camper in the past but sold it because it was never really what i wanted when I purchased it, so its gone.

In the market between 10 - 15k. Preferably the lower side of that.

Ive looked at the jayco poptop style van as well but looking at a bit of extra coin for the ones that appeal to me, so that might be for future upgrade plans.

Mc4by
29th January 2020, 04:16 PM
I have a forward fold and love it.
If we are stopping overnight only, we don't even unhook it.
Stay for a few days and out comes the annex.

0-TJ-0
29th January 2020, 05:18 PM
That looks like the business. I like that they normally have the little lounge area/second bed. I suppose the trade off is storage space? How do you find yours? Plenty of storage?

mudski
29th January 2020, 05:19 PM
I had a soft floor and got rid of it. Best move ever. I now have an old 95 Off Road Jayco Swan and love it. Literally 5 minutes and its done. Longer if I want the full annex, but I have only used that once.

Mc4by
30th January 2020, 11:17 AM
Storage can be an issue, depending how much you want to take with you.
Some limited space under the bench seats in the trailer. Some space under the folded table and floor space.
Some space in the front storage compartments.
I have a 40 litre fridge in one side and either the annex or a couple of storage boxes.
That leaves more room in the wagon for even more stuff.
There is a folding rack on top of the wagon that you can attach stuff to as well.

BillsGU
30th January 2020, 11:27 AM
Daughter and son in law had one. It worked well but was time consuming and a pain to set up and pull down. Lots of poles to connect and bits to zipper on - and some up fairly high so you need to carry a small step ladder. One of our Club members has an Opus and it is impressive. If I bought one it would be an Opus.

Flick a switch and it sets itself up.

https://www.opuscamper.com.au/

Mc4by
30th January 2020, 12:56 PM
BillsGU
I agree there is a bit of setup required if you want the full annexe as well.
The sleeping and dining part is up in less than 10 minutes as all the poles are inside the fold down.
Extend them and you are done.
You can lower the poles to attach the zip on bits then extend them again after.
All up the full thing takes us approximately 30 minutes, longer if I listen to my wife's instructions :)

0-TJ-0
30th January 2020, 01:55 PM
BillsGU
I agree there is a bit of setup required if you want the full annexe as well.
The sleeping and dining part is up in less than 10 minutes as all the poles are inside the fold down.
Extend them and you are done.
You can lower the poles to attach the zip on bits then extend them again after.
All up the full thing takes us approximately 30 minutes, longer if I listen to my wife's instructions :)

Yep sounds similar to the soft floor I had. I don't want to be finding poles for the initial setup, but I don't mind a bit extra for the annex.

I think I'll be happy if there's enough storage inside for clothes and luggage and enough storage outside to get the fridge and cooking gear out of the car.

0-TJ-0
31st January 2020, 09:45 PM
Well turns out the Adelaide caravan and camping show is on in the next couple of weeks. I feel like its going to be an expensive day trip.

rusty_nail
31st January 2020, 10:01 PM
Well turns out the Adelaide caravan and camping show is on in the next couple of weeks. I feel like its going to be an expensive day trip.Don't do it mate! Or at least be extremely bloody picky. Until recently I worked in expos, and did the caravan and camping stand for Dometic. My personal experience is the van companies up their prices to accommodate them being there.

Sent from my Armor 5S using Tapatalk

0-TJ-0
31st January 2020, 10:15 PM
Don't do it mate! Or at least be extremely bloody picky. Until recently I worked in expos, and did the caravan and camping stand for Dometic. My personal experience is the van companies up their prices to accommodate them being there.

Sent from my Armor 5S using Tapatalk

Yeah I'd prefer a second hand one anyway. I'm not too keen on paying the premium for a new one. Not to mention the fella before normally works out all the kinks and adds a few bits and pieces.

I am looking forward to opening and closing every door and fridge slide in the joint looking for what I like though haha. Thanks for the advice!

Mc4by
31st January 2020, 10:35 PM
There are a lot of variations out there with a wide variety of options.
We are only 2 and that made our choice a bit easier. We didn't need extensions or extra large anything.

0-TJ-0
10th February 2020, 08:59 AM
About to put an offer on a 2016 ezytrail forward fold later today I think. Looks pretty well decked out and looked after. Had a few hot suppers/corrugations but nothing too extreme. Suspension has some pretty good sand blasting but no big rock crawling gouges.

I've been over it pretty thoroughly and haven't found anything too alarming, second hand so most bugs have been worked out I think. I'll service the bearings straight up but anyone have anything that I should check before I hand over my hard earned?

0-TJ-0
10th February 2020, 11:32 PM
Came with literally everything.. Throw in some food and beer, make the bed and head out.
See what broken bits I can find in the days to come.

MB
10th February 2020, 11:48 PM
Go for GOLD TJ Mate! Waste not one more minute, Congratulations [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mc4by
11th February 2020, 12:00 AM
You will love it. Not much can go wrong with them other than wearable parts.

10G
11th February 2020, 12:06 PM
Congratulations mate, looks like a beauty.

Hodge
11th February 2020, 06:28 PM
Nice forward camper there!
mudski Aren't those your wheels on the trailer?

mudski
11th February 2020, 06:36 PM
Nice forward camper there!
mudski Aren't those your wheels on the trailer?

Look the same. But I haven’t got them anymore. Back to steelies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk