PDA

View Full Version : Annoying noise that comes and goes

KBOOBI
28th July 2010, 06:25 PM
I have a 2003 3lt GU with 125000 kms on the clock.
I have developed a noise that sounds a bit like a disc brake pad squealing / rubbing on a disc, but it is not there all of the time. I have had the rear axles removed and bearings checked and re-greased, front bearings repacked, disc pads changed.

The noise can come at any time, could be when the car is cold or hot, just driving down the road the noise will start, I slow down to about 5 - 10 kms and it stops and I can drive on. I have driven the car for 3 hours only to have it happen again. I have jacked up the car and all of the wheels turn properly with no undue noise. The noise seems to happen when driving in a straight line as well as going around a round about.

I thought that maybe my auto lockers on the front wheels were playing up, so I have fitted manual locking ones , all to no avail.

Can anyone suggest any ideas as to what it could be.

:icon_bonk:

Maxhead
28th July 2010, 08:54 PM
Is the noise from front or back.
You could try applying the brakes a bit when the noise is happening to see if its around the brake area.
Try swerving when the noise happens ,try accelerating/ decelerating, etc to give you some idea where its coming from

You might have already tried these but the idea is to narrow it down to a certain area

patch697
28th July 2010, 09:57 PM
Auto or manual mate?

Cheers
Paul

Michael
29th July 2010, 07:35 AM
I have a 92 GQ 4.0l diesel and had the exact same irritating squealing noise and for the life of me couldn’t find it. I went down the same road a you and checked everything I could think of and then remembered something I was taught during my trade training the acronym K.I.S.S which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. I knew it was coming from the front somewhere so I started with the obvious and sure enough there it was an idler pulley bearing a $10.00 fix. Might not be your problem but hey might be worth a look.
Cheers

KBOOBI
29th July 2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks Guys,

It is a manual, with ABS.
The idler pulley was replaced last year and I can't hear any noise coming from it.

I do remember hitting a pot hole with the left rear wheel which made the squeal happen. But since then it will happen on a flat straight road, could the ABS be activating one of the wheels and slightly applying the brakes. Although saying that I cannot feel that the car is braking when the squeal is happening.

Maybe the best solution is to drive it until something breaks, then I will know what the problem is.

patch697
29th July 2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks Guys,

It is a manual, with ABS.
The idler pulley was replaced last year and I can't hear any noise coming from it.

I do remember hitting a pot hole with the left rear wheel which made the squeal happen. But since then it will happen on a flat straight road, could the ABS be activating one of the wheels and slightly applying the brakes. Although saying that I cannot feel that the car is braking when the squeal is happening.

Maybe the best solution is to drive it until something breaks, then I will know what the problem is.

I think you would notice it if the abs was doing that mate.

This may sound strange but hows your thrust race bearing??? thay can have a squeal from time to time like that (That's why I asked the auto manual question before) My clutch was only 60,000k old when it started doing this with no foot on the peddle & for all the world you would have said it was in my front left wheel somewhere.

Something to have a look at anyway

Cheers
Paul

KBOOBI
22nd August 2010, 05:13 PM
Well it finally happened, I managed to track down the mysterious noise.
It turned out to be the metal cover over the drive pinion oil seal on the back diff,
you know where the drive shaft goes into the diff housing.
Fairly simple job to change it and put a new oil seal and cover in.
Back to being a Happy Camper again

Finly Owner
22nd August 2010, 08:16 PM
good to hear. or not in your case hahahah

patch697
22nd August 2010, 08:21 PM
Glad you found it & what a sh!t to pic ..... I'll be chucking that one in the old memory bank for sure, Thanks for coming back & telling us what you found.

Cheers
Paul

Ruby
2nd April 2011, 10:49 PM
When you were hearing this noise, did it appear to be coming from a particular wheel or just from the back of the car. I can here a intermittant squeal from my rear driver side wheel (can hear it as I walk along side the car). Yep I've pulled it apart looking for a rouge stone.

Ghost
3rd April 2011, 12:00 AM
i have a noise that comes and goes as well usually it goes when i buy here something nice like jewelry

nowoolies
3rd April 2011, 12:03 AM
i have a noise that comes and goes as well usually it goes when i buy here something nice like jewelry

she reads this comment you gunna be up for more then jewelry lmfao