PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol mix fuel... can ya?

YalwalYowie
21st June 2011, 06:36 PM
Just wondering if the EFI TB42 can handle the stuff. Mine is on LPG as well so usually put premium in but with times being so tough wondering if the cheaper stuff is ok

Bigrig
21st June 2011, 06:59 PM
Absolutely no science behind the following answer, and potentially flawed logic also, HOWEVER (lol), I'll offer my two cents worth anyway ....

Absolutely NOT!!! And here's why - it's an older engine designed before sugar cane was even heard of (cough, cough ... ahem) and as such, it would not be considered harmless by anyone BAR the people trying to sell it to you ... and it does say on the side of the bowser, and in the little BP brochure that it shouldn't be used in older engines ...

So there you have it ... my potentially flawed, open to interpretation, opinionated, non scientific, response ... any merit? At all?? lmao

I won't use it in mine mate, but my reasoning is extremely one eyed (my own opinion) and until absolutely proven otherwise, I'd rather pay the price at the pump than pay the ultimate price and stuff the engine (and Murphy's law dictates this will happen at the most unannounced and unwanted time!!).

YalwalYowie
23rd June 2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks Bigrig, I will take your advice regardless of how opinionated it may be lol! I had my doubts about the stuff anyway but with the way the price of juice is going at the moment I am beginning to hurt a little. Even LPG is going up and you really need to shop around to make sure you are not getting ripped off! That is the problem with a fuel becoming popular... just look at how diesel has outpaced unleaded once more cars started getting deisel engines! After the Government subsidised LPG the price has rocketed and now the state is talking about taking its share... rant over

GedB
18th July 2011, 10:53 AM
Noticed the thread late. I've been using Ethanol on & off in my 4.2 efi. I can't get it all the time up here in the alps. Pity. Mine goes far better on the mix than without it.
I used to be a race car engineer in my forma life & the purer the ethanol the better the car went. Including old formula ford engines - which go back .
Used to be a service manager for a very large dealership. Had some problems with Holdens which were blamed on ethanol - I think that it was more dirty fuel than anything.
You pays your money, you takes your pick. I would always use it.

rkinsey
18th July 2011, 04:25 PM
I'm no mechanic but a little research doesnt go astray. Here is some information from the Ethanol Blended manufacturers (Setup by Caltex and Holden) website as well as the FCAI which most websites (RACQ, NRMA, RACV, Carsguide etc) all reference in their information on this subject.

This one is "Ethanol Answers" and gives a lot of very good info on this fuel and its use as well as how it is made. http://www.ethanolanswers.com.au/ethanol/home

Here is the site from the FCAI on "CAN MY VEHICLE OPERATE ON ETHANOL BLEND PETROL?" http://www.fcai.com.au/environment/can-my-vehicle-operate-on-ethanol-blend-petrol-

Hope this shines a light on the subject for some of you.

Cheers,

Rob

yort
1st August 2011, 12:59 PM
good question, I use it, every now and then, seems to help clean out the residue/varnish left behind by regular fuel. and yep she goes better on it, but I have reservations about using it full time with steel tank and lines.

troy