PDA

View Full Version : swap my 2.8 for 4.2 or do i keep it

scottyshams
21st June 2011, 04:45 PM
hey guys just wondering i currnetly have 2.8td in my 97 gq. have possibilty of 4.2td but no idea condition of engine and gear box is it worth swap or is there things i can do to my 2.8 to get it going a tad better???????? ur thoughts would be greatly apreciated

YNOT
21st June 2011, 05:00 PM
You really need to find out the condition of the 4.2 before you can make a decision.
You also need to consider what you plan to use the car for. 4.2TD are great for heavy towing and off road work, but if most of your driving will be on the road then keeping and modifying the 2.8 may do everything you need.
If your GQ 2.8 is standard there are things like bigger exhausts, more boost and tuning the fuel system that will get it going a good bit better. Fitting an intercooler will also help.

Tony

Timbo
22nd June 2011, 03:06 PM
From a 2.8 owner here's my opinion.

If you're using it to drive to the shops or take kids around to basketball or something, 2.8 is fine. You can save big dollars buying a 2.8 versus a 4.2.

For anything else, Buy a 4.2!

2.8's are a great little motor, love to rev and sound wicked when a 3" exhaust is on them.. but they are slow on the road and require too much clutch to get them moving off the line for my liking. Plus, you can't really modify them too much past putting a chip and exhaust package on them.

With the 4.2td, lots of low down torque, more options for turbo replacement, old reliable motor, no ECU to worry about and they leave PLENTY of room in the engine bay for dual batteries etc.. the 2.8td has a lot of crap inside the engine bay! Great for towing too in case you get a caravan one day or something.

My next big decision in terms of 4wd will be;

1. Trade my wagon in on a 4.2 Ute
2. Replace my 2.8 with a 4.2td engine
3. Trade my 2.8 wagon for a 4.2 wagon

Still tossing up between a wagon or ute, but whatever way I go, it'll be a 4.2td.

Cheers

scottyshams
22nd June 2011, 05:44 PM
yeh cheers guys and i will mostly use it as a daily runin around the streets but its gets to hit the dirt alot to mates and i are always goin bush and tryin to find new places to go 4x4in