PDA

View Full Version : which GQ engine to choose

metrosyd34
20th June 2011, 08:57 PM
Hi

Looking to purchase a gq as first 4wd mainly for camping and touring. May do more serious stuff later.

Not sure which engine to go for?
Have heard the following
the 3L petrol works too hard given the mass of the vehicle
the 4.2L petrol is a better choice but sucks a ridiculous amount of fuel and will need gas conversion or will be too expensive
the 4.2L diesel is more fuel efficient but is pretty slow and could do with an after market turbo
Have not heard much about the 2.8L diesel

It will not be a daily driver mainly for weekends.

Any advice greatly appreciated

growler2058
20th June 2011, 08:59 PM
td42....cause thats what ive got hahahahaha

Woof
20th June 2011, 09:01 PM
Go the 4.2 diesel and whack a turbo on it, it will fly then.
That's what I have.

patch697
20th June 2011, 09:06 PM
Mate hands down the TD42 (4.2 diesel) with a turbo...... will give you more power/ torque then a TB42 (4.2 petrol) & better economy.

Don't even bother with anything else.

I have a TB42 duel fuel which gives me good economy on the open road & not to bad around town but I wish I had have got turbo diesel.

NissanGQ4.2
20th June 2011, 09:15 PM
Buy a 4.2EFI as i know of one that will be on the market very shortly *L*

Looking at ur member name would i be right 2 assume you are from Sydney?

I dare say if i was looking again I would go Td42 with a turbo.

AB
20th June 2011, 09:15 PM
Yep try to find a 4.2 diesel with a turbo.

I have a 4.2 non turbo diesel and they are bit slow off the mark and slowly saving to get aftermarket turbo.

They are a fairly sort after engine so you may have to either wait a while or pay a slightly higher price then normal but well worth every cent mate!

metrosyd34
20th June 2011, 09:25 PM
Yes I am from Sydney

metrosyd34
20th June 2011, 09:25 PM
thanks for the advice

Bigrig
20th June 2011, 09:44 PM
I dunno lads - all good reasons and I hear everyone on the TD42 with a turbo, however, you are looking (in similar condition, age, etc) at paying $3-5K more (at least) for it, and if as you say, you are only using it for a weekend warrior, then what's your return on investment against getting a petrol? That is, even if you did 200klms each and every weekend, you'd be saving (let's say) 7 litres per hundred on diesel over petrol - so 14 litres per weekend at $1.50 (ish) a litre equaling a saving each weekend of $21. Even if you were lucky and got a good one for around $3K more, you'd be driving 143 weekends (nearly 3 years) before getting your initial money's worth so to speak - worse if you aren't doing the milage I'm talking about, and even worse again if you pay more than $3K more for a comparable model turbo diesel ....

Just food for thought is all I'm suggesting - everyone jumps on the diesel for consumption, but sometimes forget the capital expenditure up front in getting one - not to mention servicing every 5000 instead of 10000 (yes, you can change oil an filters yourself, but you can on a petrol also, so either way, up for more maintenance cost). Yep, I'm biased as I have a TB42e and yep, it's thirsty, but that said, I've got mine tuned and maintained well and am now getting under 15lph on the open road unladened. It has all the power I need (not want!! lol) and is reliable as ...

Also would depend on weight on board and if you're towing every weekend - if a lot of towing involved, then a no brainer, go the diesel for the torque. If not, maybe take some time to consider what it is you actually 'will' be doing and go from there ...

Best of luck with it either way mate.

NissanGQ4.2
20th June 2011, 09:52 PM
says the one about 2 do an engine conversion

Bigrig
20th June 2011, 09:56 PM

I did say however it has "all the power I NEED..." ... but not all the power I want - lmao - (towing that big camper will kill it eventually).

growler2058
20th June 2011, 09:57 PM
I dunno lads - all good reasons and I hear everyone on the TD42 with a turbo, however, you are looking (in similar condition, age, etc) at paying $3-5K more (at least) for it, and if as you say, you are only using it for a weekend warrior, then what's your return on investment against getting a petrol? That is, even if you did 200klms each and every weekend, you'd be saving (let's say) 7 litres per hundred on diesel over petrol - so 14 litres per weekend at $1.50 (ish) a litre equaling a saving each weekend of $21. Even if you were lucky and got a good one for around $3K more, you'd be driving 143 weekends (nearly 3 years) before getting your initial money's worth so to speak - worse if you aren't doing the milage I'm talking about, and even worse again if you pay more than $3K more for a comparable model turbo diesel ....

Just food for thought is all I'm suggesting - everyone jumps on the diesel for consumption, but sometimes forget the capital expenditure up front in getting one - not to mention servicing every 5000 instead of 10000 (yes, you can change oil an filters yourself, but you can on a petrol also, so either way, up for more maintenance cost). Yep, I'm biased as I have a TB42e and yep, it's thirsty, but that said, I've got mine tuned and maintained well and am now getting under 15lph on the open road unladened. It has all the power I need (not want!! lol) and is reliable as ...

Also would depend on weight on board and if you're towing every weekend - if a lot of towing involved, then a no brainer, go the diesel for the torque. If not, maybe take some time to consider what it is you actually 'will' be doing and go from there ...

Best of luck with it either way mate.

Yep agree go the td42t hahahaha

metrosyd34
20th June 2011, 09:59 PM
I guess it looks like the 4.2 petrol is still in the picture, Thanks bigrig.

Bigrig
20th June 2011, 10:07 PM
I guess it looks like the 4.2 petrol is still in the picture, Thanks bigrig.

No worries old mate - it's a tough decision and only made more difficult by everyone coming back with their thoughts, which even more confusingly, are all correct in their own rights!!!

You'll sort it mate and be travelling in your new weapon before you know it!!!

TuffTD42
21st June 2011, 05:59 PM
I've had 4 GQ's over the last 11 years. 2 x td42 n/a 1 x carbie petrol & now a TD42 turbo. The petrol engine is great goes well did notice it didn't have the torque off road like the diesel but still performed well. Only thing was it was sending me broke running it. The n/a td42's great but slow as on hills especially towing. The Td42 turbo wow I'm in love! Bigrig made a good point in that if it's only a w/end toy the petrol's lower purchase cost might go in it's favor. But when you pull up at the bowser nearly 2:1 of the diesel it gets a bit hard on the wallet.

Personally I'd would never touch a 2.8 but thats just me. The RB30's are a brilliant motor. Thro injection on them & a turbo then you have a monster but that's getting into the dollars & once again it'll cost you at the bowser.

See if you can take each one for a drive & see what suits you.

good luck Jono.

metrosyd34
21st June 2011, 09:39 PM
I've had 4 GQ's over the last 11 years. 2 x td42 n/a 1 x carbie petrol & now a TD42 turbo. The petrol engine is great goes well did notice it didn't have the torque off road like the diesel but still performed well. Only thing was it was sending me broke running it. The n/a td42's great but slow as on hills especially towing. The Td42 turbo wow I'm in love! Bigrig made a good point in that if it's only a w/end toy the petrol's lower purchase cost might go in it's favor. But when you pull up at the bowser nearly 2:1 of the diesel it gets a bit hard on the wallet.

Personally I'd would never touch a 2.8 but thats just me. The RB30's are a brilliant motor. Thro injection on them & a turbo then you have a monster but that's getting into the dollars & once again it'll cost you at the bowser.

See if you can take each one for a drive & see what suits you.

good luck Jono.

thanks for sharing your experience Jono

anyone else with similar experience would be appreciated

Mrowka
22nd June 2011, 01:51 AM
Get a TD42. Yup, it is slow. So what?

MQ MAD
22nd June 2011, 09:38 AM
Ive got a 97 GQ TB42E/auto
Standard sheet loads of power
Depending how big the turbo is on a TD42 ,doesnt now or ever assume that the TB42E will be left behind towing
I can pull well over 2 tonne up hills and maintain the road speed limit

Big Rig ,is onto something regarding the $$$ difference
The TB42s are bloody exy on the juice, nearly double that of the TD42
Many go the LPG route,but theres alotta problems
Depending how often youll use it, leave it straight petrol
If ya want a good late model diesel 4.2 GQ , youll be looking for a while and be generally be paying a premium
If ya want something for a few K,thats ruff as hell,a million miles,basically a POS
There everywhere

The earlier carb TB42 are dearer to run than the later EFI TB42

Warnie
22nd June 2011, 11:56 AM

This is true, but as he said it has all the power he needs, NOT wants lol

timbar
22nd June 2011, 01:24 PM
i have a tb42 carbie model in which is used for work and play on gas yes she is a bit heavy on fuel but then again she has enough power to pull my trailer fully loaded every day up and down hills with carpets and timberflooring i towed a car trailer with my previous Patrol which was the td42 and it struggled until it was moving then it was fine .....but with the petrol tb42 i done the same trip with the same car trailer and the same car on board and the petrol didnt know it was there to speak ...........my old troll has done 590000+kms and is showing no signs of dieing mechanically she is still on the original motor and still strong .......thats my bit but end of the day its ur choice go drive some patrols and u decide what is for you.... you will either love it or hate it but its a patrol you gotta love them !!

tracemul7
27th June 2011, 05:56 PM
We have 2.8TD, and are really happy with it.
Used for camping trip and road trips so far, plus weekend drive to the firing range.
Taking it 4wd-ing over october long weekend.

The economy is awesome - usually about 12-14l/100k - but she goes good too. She's a little sluggish on those really long hills when the revs drop . . . . but I would still highly recommend one.
We had no issue keeping up with a friend in their Landcruiser 4.2 petrol, plus they had to fill up waaaaay more than us!

If you are going to be towing, then I would agree to go for something with more power . . . but for driving, camping etc, i wouldnt turn it down :)

MC97GQ
28th June 2011, 05:59 AM
Hi metrosyd34,

Forget going the LPG route on a petrol motor, you will have to make a bucket load of compromises,

Smaller Fuel tank(Petrol) to accomodate the gas tank, so range will go out the window, although I believe you can buy replacement tanks to help sort this.

Lack of performance from both types of fuel, wont run as well on either petrol or gas.

Cost wont come into it soon, as the Govt intends to add extra taxes to LPG which are not there now.And I believe that using gas you use about 2 x Litres to petrol for KM travelled,
so at 90c per Litre in the bush for gas(I pay this for my LPG BF Falcon) as opposed to $1.60 for petrol it's actually going to cost you money.

So I would either get Turbo Diesel or dedicated petrol as has been mentioned before here.

But others far more enlightened than me(I'm only a new Patrol Owner myself, will point you in the right direction.

Mark

G-ForceCrew
28th June 2011, 10:59 PM
Mate you have to go the TD42 sliver top (rocker cover) if you can find a good one and turbo

Kel

metrosyd34
29th June 2011, 11:01 PM
Mate you have to go the TD42 sliver top (rocker cover) if you can find a good one and turbo

Kel

Kel

what is the significance of the silver rocker cover?

Is rust an issue does any one know?

Is lpg a viable option?

Bob
30th June 2011, 07:59 AM
I have a 4.5L Gu which is on Gas Has a 105 Litre Useable Gas Tank and 35 Litre Petrol
On a trip I use 18/19 Litres of Gas per Hundred
Petrol I use 14/15 Litres per Hundred
Gas in Bendigo is 65c Per Litre and Petrol $1.35 so it is more economical for me to be on Gas

Comparison
400 Km's on Gas would use 76 Litres @ 65c = $49.40
400 Km's on Petrol would use 60 Litres @ $1.35 =$81 which is a Saving of 39%
I usually only travel in Victoria and Southern NSW where Gas is readily available and at a reasonable Price

YNOT
30th June 2011, 08:16 AM
Kel

what is the significance of the silver rocker cover?

Is rust an issue does any one know?

Is lpg a viable option?

The earlier silver top TD42 had heavier pistons so is preferred by many as being a sturdier engine and better suited to turbo charging. The later black top engines which started right at the end of GQ were smoother because of the lighter pistons and properly maintained have no reliabillity issues.

Rust can be an issue on GQ along the roof rails and sills, and around the windscreen.

I have had 2 LPG GQ Patrols (both EFI engines) and I believe LPG is a viable option except if you want to do long distances away from civilisation where fuel supplies are limited.

My last GQ had LPG vapour sequential injection (I fitted the system). The VSI systems do not have any affect on petrol running as they do not put a restriction in the inlet air flow like the older systems. The power drop when running on LPG was minimal, fuel consumption was similar to what Bob is reporting in post #25.

Tony

patch697
30th June 2011, 10:10 AM
I have a 1990 GQ TB42 (carby model) on duel fuel with 105ltr useable LPG & a 120ltr long range fuel tank. Im getting the same economy figures as Bob (post #25) with the only exception being I have a much bigger fuel tank for those times when LPG is not readily available which seems to keep me out of trouble.

metrosyd34
3rd July 2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice and opinions.

It seems most people think diesel is the way to go if fuel consumption is the major factor when buying.

Does anyone know why there are so few diesel patrols available for sale.

For such a heavy vehicle I would of thought there would be far more diesels sold compared to petrol?

YNOT
3rd July 2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice and opinions.

It seems most people think diesel is the way to go if fuel consumption is the major factor when buying.

Does anyone know why there are so few diesel patrols available for sale.

For such a heavy vehicle I would of thought there would be far more diesels sold compared to petrol?

There are plenty of diesel Patrols out there, just they have owners who don't want to part with them.

Tony

growler2058
3rd July 2011, 06:57 PM
There are plenty of diesel Patrols out there, just they have owners who don't want to part with them.

Tony

X2 It was pot luck when I found my diesel for a reeeeel good price!!! Not turbod so a bit underpowered but I can definitely live with that

Clunk
3rd July 2011, 07:05 PM
yep would have preferred a TD42 but definitely more than happy with the TB42E, even though it's a little thirsty lol

GUtsy ute
3rd July 2011, 07:16 PM

Tony

X3, I keep getting crazy offers for my 06 TD4.2 ute, 60.000 K's, but I dont want to sell it.
What's as good to replace it with?

Patrol Tico
4th September 2011, 10:38 AM
That was one of my concerns when I was buying my trol, then I found this topic and went for the TD42, love that engine man! and hopefully will be fitting the turbo some time soon.