PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drawers

Reece
20th June 2011, 10:36 AM
Hey lads

i am looking at getting a rear drawer system for the GU, but want one that i can remove from the car when not using them. Have been looking at the Boab ones.
Would you guys recommend them or are there better ones around?

Bigrig
20th June 2011, 11:16 AM
Depends mainly on budget and needs mate - heaps of options out there, but are you just after straight drawers, fridge slide, compartments, mounting of compressor in back, etc, etc ...

Black Widow, Boab, Ironman, etc all do 'decent' product in varying configurations for various amounts ...

If just after plain drawers that are easy in and out, you're probably better off having a lash yourself and doing something in an alloy frame that specifically suits your needs ...

Sorry that I can't offer more, but plenty of others on here who've purchased or built some themselves and no doubt they'll have some good advice also!

Good luck with it!!

macca
20th June 2011, 06:26 PM
I made a set of drawers from the plans on this site

http://4wdstuff.davejones.com.au/subdomain/4wdstuff/Other/construction_of_drawers.pdf

Cost about $400 carpeted and lockable latches

I've got tools and reckon I can use them, now theres a laugh.

Recently sold them on eBay for $458 so I was stoked and the new owner very happy. They were 4.5 years old and still worked like new.

If you have access to a workshop they are a good plan to use

Macca

outbackjack
21st June 2011, 10:30 PM
only thing to consider with home made draws and some commercially made draws is they are not ADR compliant

Bigrig
21st June 2011, 10:35 PM
only thing to consider with home made draws and some commercially made draws is they are not ADR compliant

That's true mate - one of those things where a bit of "she'll be right" comes into it for a lot of people ... not saying that's a good thing either, but if installed with decent strength and number of points to existing tie downs, it'd be hard pressed to go wrong - until you're rolling over your lid multiple times and in that case, the whole vehicle will come under scrutiny ...

Good point though!

macca
22nd June 2011, 12:16 PM
Didnt know about ADR compliance, is it because its supposed to be fixed?

What about a toolbox or fridge or the shopping?

Stuff is loose in the back of lots of vehicles.

I am having trouble seeing the logic of drawers being complient, not that logic comes into alot of stuff beauracrats throw at us.

Macca

timbar
22nd June 2011, 12:27 PM
Didnt know about ADR compliance, is it because its supposed to be fixed?

What about a toolbox or fridge or the shopping?

Stuff is loose in the back of lots of vehicles.

I am having trouble seeing the logic of drawers being complient, not that logic comes into alot of stuff beauracrats throw at us.

Macca

My response .............Bolt it down then it aint going any where.................

damianovdd
22nd June 2011, 04:54 PM
Can you tell me how (and where) are this drawers attached to the troll? I thought that they are free to remove...

kingy
22nd June 2011, 07:32 PM

Is this an issue ? Have not heard of this before anyone got any facts on this ?????

Bigrig
22nd June 2011, 07:59 PM
Not sure on the ADR aspect here - ADR is more related, as I understand it, to design (safety, form and function), and meeting standards of engineering, construction, products used, etc of the actual unit ... any info would be grand.

outbackjack
1st July 2011, 08:15 PM
Not a expert. Just know becuase I have just fitted a set of draws which where commercially made. Part of the install required to drill out existing nuts and put in larger bolts etc. The instructions stated it was for ADR compliance. Also cargo barrier is ADR compliant.

The following ADR`s are relevant
Roller Drawers Compliant to ADR42/03
Child Restraint Anchorages Compliant to ADR3/02 & 34/01
Cargo Barriers Compliant to AS/NZS/4034.2:2001

Some info here http://www.bwidow.com.au/safety_standards_flip/safety_standards.htm

nowoolies
1st July 2011, 09:38 PM
Not a expert. Just know becuase I have just fitted a set of draws which where commercially made. Part of the install required to drill out existing nuts and put in larger bolts etc. The instructions stated it was for ADR compliance. Also cargo barrier is ADR compliant.

The following ADR`s are relevant
Roller Drawers Compliant to ADR42/03
Child Restraint Anchorages Compliant to ADR3/02 & 34/01
Cargo Barriers Compliant to AS/NZS/4034.2:2001

Some info here http://www.bwidow.com.au/safety_standards_flip/safety_standards.htm

thanks for that info mate ...excelent

outbackjack
6th July 2011, 02:15 PM
No Problems.......

I didnt get black widow draws, got outback ones.

Great qaulity and as mentioned it complies with ADR as well.