PDA

View Full Version : Installing Roadsafe recovery points. Any help appreciated!!

troll'n
17th December 2019, 07:21 PM
Hi guys,

I have recently bought a pair of roadsafe recovery points for the front of my 2010 GU coil cab. About to begin installation but i'm a little unsure what the nuts on wires are for (see attached picture). From the research ive done already, i'm thinking they are the nuts which go inside the chassis rail on the passenger side, the purpose of the wires is purely to guide the nuts into place. Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Has anyone here installed these recovery points before? Any pics of installation, tips, tricks or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

D.

Plasnart
17th December 2019, 08:42 PM
Yes mate they go inside the chassis where you don't have captive nuts to use, then somehow snap the wire off. I didn't use them though. The outlet I bought my recovery points from gave me a plate with 2 nuts welded to it that I slid inside the chassis above the bolt holes. In my circumstance though, the nuts were slightly too close together to line up with the chassis holes so I just cut the plate in half and aligned each nut above their respective holes. IMO you need a decent backing plate below the nuts, not just the nut inside the chassis. Spring washer under the bolt head and some blue thread lock.

Plasnart
17th December 2019, 08:46 PM
Woops just looked at your pic and saw the plates attached. I'd just pull the wire off and push them in above the holes. I had doubts I could bolt up into the loose nuts but they went in just fine.

troll'n
17th December 2019, 09:24 PM
Thanks mate! think ive gotten lucky, theres already some nuts tacked to the inside of the passenger-side chassis rail, thats why i was a little confused!
cheers for your advice, much appreciated.

Plasnart
17th December 2019, 10:15 PM
You're in luck then. No need for those nuts, bolt straight up into the captives. Too easy!

rusty_nail
18th December 2019, 06:09 PM
Plassys problem was he never had nuts to start with... He was never going to recover.

Oh sorry, that was off topic, congrats on finding your spare nuts. Throw up a pic when it's finished if you can mate, might help someone down the line?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Plasnart
18th December 2019, 10:22 PM
Back to your Emu Bitter mate!

Mark's thread is a good reference.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14223-Fitting-GU-Recovery-plates