PDA

View Full Version : Mav and GQ Differences.

Woods
27th July 2010, 08:34 PM
Sorry if you guys have talked about this but is there any difference at all with Mav's and GQ's.

Everyone around the internet and my mates say there is no difference apart from badge swapping but does anyone know of any significant difference?

Another newbie question, who used the design from who?

Did Nissan take it off Ford or visa versa?

Would'nt mind some info for ammo next time I catch up with my mates...hehe

Cheers.

Maxhead
27th July 2010, 08:55 PM
Mav was definitely a re-badged Nissan Patrol, and as far as I know there was no difference except the badge and some optional gear.
The Mav was a fill in for Ford as they had nothing in the line up

Something to do with the australian government forcing all the manufacturers into it in an attempt to support the struggling australian car industry

see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan

Pitbull
8th August 2010, 10:13 AM
Mav was definitely a re-badged Nissan Patrol, and as far as I know there was no difference except the badge and some optional gear.
The Mav was a fill in for Ford as they had nothing in the line up

Something to do with the australian government forcing all the manufacturers into it in an attempt to support the struggling australian car industry

see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan

Correct and in 92 when Nissan introduced EFI to the TB42 the Maverick retained the carby , i think the Maverick stopped in late 94 or early 95 and it never had as many options as the Patrol
I dont know details but Ford rebadged the Patrol to a Maverick when for some reason stopped bringing the Ford Bronco and F100 etc in Australia

RustyNails
12th August 2010, 11:08 PM
Mavs have a Ford badge so breakdown, GQ's don't so don't.

Paul

Sorry could not resist.
I think there was only some minor interior details.

Pootrazza
4th September 2010, 03:21 AM
The mav has rear disc's, and i think the patrol kept the drums?

YNOT
4th September 2010, 08:36 AM
Only early model base spec GQ Patrols had rear drum brakes.
As some one said earlier, only badges and trim levels differed between Patrol and Mav.

Tony

89GQ
4th September 2010, 11:25 PM
The Mav badge has nissan stamped on the back!!

patch697
5th September 2010, 02:10 AM
The Mav badge has nissan stamped on the back!!

& a Nissan part number to.......... What a laugh, Fords own badge holder is still a Nissan part....lol

89GQ
5th September 2010, 02:23 AM
And there are some who get soooo upset when you mension its a nissan lol. I had a mate who got a mav and i kept asking how his ford patrol is going.
He's a real ford man and swore black and blue it was a ford,Then i showed him the nissan markings on the windows,the indicator lenses, Then the final
straw was the nissan on the brake master cylinder, He nearly had tears in his eyes. Poor bugger. But he still has it and loves it!!!!

89GQ
5th September 2010, 02:26 AM
Only early model base spec GQ Patrols had rear drum brakes.
As some one said earlier, only badges and trim levels differed between Patrol and Mav.

Tony Thats what i have the base model with the drums,Im'e really looking hard for a disk to disk complete with axles,with or without centre if anyone knows of one.

patch697
5th September 2010, 02:35 AM
Thats what i have the base model with the drums,Im'e really looking hard for a disk to disk complete with axles,with or without centre if anyone knows of one.

Maybe put a post in the wanted section, you may find someone has one & will offer it to you.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
5th September 2010, 02:28 PM
Maybe put a post in the wanted section, you may find someone has one & will offer it to you.

Cheers
PaulHad one in for a while so i bumped it. Cheers