PDA

View Full Version : What Tyres are best?

Eds where?
18th June 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi guys my tyres on the old patrol are getting low and just wounded what brand and type most of you are happy with. I've got Dunlop AT22 grandtrek 285 65 x 17. My last car was a Jackaroo and I put B F Goodridge 245 75 x 16 these were good but a bit slippy in the wet and took a few chunks out when climbing rocks. Any advice would be greatly apprecate.
Ed

patch697
18th June 2011, 03:37 PM
G/day Ed,

Tyre choice is such a big topic & one that really comes down to what you use your Patrol for & how much you are willing to spend. Here is a link on tyre brand feed back that may help in your final choice. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Tyre-Brands-amp-Feedback

I don't like to recommend tyres as a rule cos its such in individual thing but my personal choice in tyres would have to be Micky Thompson MTZ's but they would have to be one of the pricier ones out there.

growler2058
18th June 2011, 03:44 PM
G/day Ed,

my personal choice in tyres would have to be Micky Thompson MTZ's but they would have to be one of the pricier ones out there.

Yup my favourite so far

Sir Roofy
18th June 2011, 05:12 PM
im still happy with the maxxis bighorns but still comes down to personal choice

Eds where?
18th June 2011, 05:42 PM
Thats the thing most of the time it's for the road but I do go on sand and rocks with the mates. I'm thinking of AT rather than mud. Just dont like Dunlops. My next door has micky T's and I can remembering him saying he would never have them again, need to ask him why!

Clunk
18th June 2011, 07:28 PM
way to much to choose from and said previously everyone has there preferences....... I've currently got 31" BFG AT's on mine, like you said I also find them a tad slippery on a wet road but so far not problems with them off road on sand or rocks, I'll probably be in the market for a new sets of boots myself in a couple of months so will be in the same position.

grimace
24th June 2011, 09:35 PM
g'day Ed, not tryn to sway you either way but i just thought i would put my 2c worth. ok i just today purchased the yokohama geolandar ATS because a fellow at work has them on his surf and loves them, i also run into another bloke at work who has them on a lux and i thought they were fairly new until he told me they had already done 40,000+ks i was gob smacked and for the price they are great value. i have had maxxis ats and they were very poor in the wet and the tyres i just replaced were goodyear wrangler silent armuor and they were worse, they still had about 85% tred left. anyway sorry about writing a novel but i hope this is of some help and good luck with whatever you decide as it is a big decision and a costly one if you get it wrong, cheers.....

_Greg
22nd September 2011, 12:09 PM
The problem that has crept through the market over the last few years has been the change in rubber compound generally used. in most 4WD tyres in the past a hard rubber compound was used which made the tyres more resistent to punctures and wear in general. years ago, i used to run BFG' both the All terrains and the Mud terrains. when they were bought out by Michellin, they changed their rubber compound to a softer compound and the tyres wore so quickly, that i immediately changed over to Cooper. I have run both the ST and STT on the patrol, and currently run the ATR on my Subaru. they have now also become softer over time and start to wear quickly. I now run Mickey Thompson MTZ on the patrol, and after an initial settling in period, they are good (Cooper make them anyway). initially, i put two on the back, and the first 5,000km the car felt like it was steering from the rear end -loose, like a wheel was about to fall off. but this settled down after 5,000kms and now they run and wear very well. they are still a softer rubber compound than what i beleive should be on a 4WD, but you really cant buy any good tyres these days.

We live on a farm and negotiate shaley dirt roads every day, and are always patching the coopers ATR. we also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which i run Pirelli Scorpion ATR. they wear quickly like every tyre these days, but surprisingly, i have not had to patch these tyres yet.

dasemm
22nd September 2011, 02:54 PM
I run Cooper STT's in 33". They have been a good wearing mud terrain, and work well in the rough stuff, but on the tarmac they are pretty noisy.

big_fletch
22nd September 2011, 05:33 PM
its hard to say what tyre you will like and find the best.. I personally run the BFG KM2 mud terrain, awesome tyre in the rough stuff, dead silent on the road with great handling and wearing very well.. Will be wanting to try and MTZ next though

Fletcha

teleman
22nd September 2011, 09:11 PM
G'day. So the general consensus is personal choice. Personally i love my Cooper Discoverer AT's. 28" (i think).
These are maintenance free tyres that i have last in excess of 200,000kms. Can be noisy, and be careful in the wet.
But yeah. Persona; choice man. Whatever floats your boat.

-ET 4wd-
23rd September 2011, 01:07 AM
I love my Toyo Open Country M/T's. (305/75/16....33/12.5/16)
Not real cheap and 10ply rated, never had any issues with them but they are pretty aggresive tyre and chew bigdeep holes quick in sand, but are awesome on rocks,mud and anything else ya wanna throw them at.

Steve.

Rastus
24th September 2011, 05:54 PM
I think without what sort of driving your doing makes it a little hard to give anyone advice on tyres and yes it's definitely a personal choice, I have run Mickey T MTZ's, Goodyear’s Kevlar Wrangler and BFG's KM2's, all muddies and used for everyday driving and out of the three and my off roading the Wranglers come out on top for on road comfort and noise as well as off road, depends on the car/driver and conditions for all of the above. I'm currently running Mickey T ATZ 4 rib in a 35 for on road and find these tyres awesome on the road and they don’t do to bad of road.
Sit down and work out what driving it is you’re planning on doing and buy for those conditions, pointless getting a SImex Jungle Trekker 2 Extreme if you’re going to stick to the blacktop and occasional unsealed road.
This discussion is like Fords V Holden’s, Nissan's V Toyota's and NRL V Aerial ping pong so expect to see a big difference in responses on such limited description of your driving.
Hope this hasn’t confused you too much.

switchgearw66
27th September 2011, 03:59 PM
I run Cooper ATR LT 265/70/17 on the Tractor and have driven over just about every conceivable ground with them. They have now covered 95 000km and havent been patched or plugged in that time. I think they will be good for about another 20 000km and although i like to check out whats on offer i also trust in what works for me..

suvrd28
3rd October 2011, 11:58 AM
I have maxxis big horns lasted about 70 000 ks and i didnt buy them new, a bit slippy in the wet but otherwise ok.

yella88
7th October 2011, 06:04 PM
km2's work great on the 4.8, quite on road (for a muddy), good on wet roads,good turn in considering the large blocks & great off road

snicko
7th October 2011, 07:23 PM
Hi, I have Cooper S/T 265/70 R17's and am very happy with them.

We do mostly black top due to the distances we have to travel to get anywhere. I find them quiet on the black top, great in sand and we have just come back from aggressive outback roads and we had no problems what so ever.

Like what has already been said its all personal choice and for us the Coopers are perfect.