PDA

View Full Version : Mapping using Google and converting to GPS.

Muzza
27th July 2010, 04:45 PM
Had a look around at what things Google can offer after reading these threads and I'm amazed. Understand that most of you already know this but I only just found it the other day.

Did you know that you can use Google Maps to plan your trip, change the route, add stops and then send that exact route to your GPS?

It's a lot easier then trying to plan and navigate on the little GPS screen and using the computer just makes it more user friendly.

Heres a picture and instructions of what I mean in case anyone here has never tried it:driving2:

Step 1
Connect your GPS device to your computer.

Step 2
Navigate to Google Maps (see Resources).

Step 3
Enter the destination or driving directions you would like to export to your GPS device. You can enter this information in the search box or select "Driving Directions" and input destinations.

Step 4
In the upper-right corner, select "Send."

Step 5
Select "GPS."

Step 6
Select from the drop-down menu the brand of GPS device you own.

Step 7
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the export process. Some GPS devices will automatically connect to Google Maps to download the data, while others will redirect you to another website where additional information may be required to complete the export.

Woods
27th July 2010, 08:27 PM
About to finally get a GPS, thanks Muzza that will be handy to plot out trips and that.

Nicko11
13th August 2010, 10:59 AM
Nice trick thanks for sharing Muzza!

Muzza
24th August 2010, 08:52 PM
No woriies guys. I'm sure most of you already know about this function but recently bought a GPS and sllowly learning all the tricks.

Old dogs can learn new tricks after all. :)

Woof
24th August 2010, 09:18 PM
No woriies guys. I'm sure most of you already know about this function but recently bought a GPS and sllowly learning all the tricks.

Not this OLD DOG Muzza, still have not worked out how to used OziExplorer on my GPS.

Muzza
24th August 2010, 09:27 PM
Another old dog, glad theres a few more here. Well this must show my age "What the hell is OziExplorer?" haha

Danny
25th August 2010, 08:36 PM
G'day Muzza, Oziexplorer is a GPS mapping software. Heres some info and their site to have a look at if you wanna learn more.

OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software which runs on your PC or laptop and will work with Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance, Eagle, Brunton/Silva and MLR GPS receivers for the upload/download of waypoints, routes and tracks and most brand of GPS receivers for real time tracking of GPS position (Moving Map).
OziExplorer allows you to work with maps on the computer screen that you create from scanned or digital maps. Ideal for planning trips for boating, 4 wheel driving, flying, hiking etc and as a real time navigation aid.

http://www.oziexplorer.com

dil1014u
26th August 2010, 03:37 PM
ahh thx a bunch

DX grunt
27th August 2010, 09:33 AM

See Wayne. You have one avid supporter! lolol

Thanks Muzza. Your advice is gunna be of great assistance. I'm looking at a GPS as one of my next few mods.

hurtinit
15th March 2011, 06:40 PM
I would reccommend a garmin.. I used one when we drove from london to east russia... took 8 months

They are great and easy to use.

Now if someone jsut needs to bring out a cross between a tomtom and a garmin !!!!

damianovdd
15th March 2011, 07:27 PM
I would reccommend a garmin.. I used one when we drove from london to east russia... took 8 months

They are great and easy to use.

Now if someone jsut needs to bring out a cross between a tomtom and a garmin !!!!

Hi hurtinit.
I think that Garmin is not known is Aus but known in Europe and US.
I am also using Garmin and its really "great and easy to use".

Muzza,
Thanks for the info.

katwoman
16th March 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi hurtinit.
I think that Garmin is not known is Aus but known in Europe and US.
I am also using Garmin and its really "great and easy to use".

Muzza,
Thanks for the info.
Hey Damianovdd,
I've had a Garmin 'nuvi' for a couple of years but maybe the brand is not as popular as the rest?
But is annoying it is $200 to update maps !!
Kat

the evil twin
17th March 2011, 01:19 PM
Garmin and Magellan are the two leading Brands in Recreational GPS sales in Aus and have about equal market share. My personal prefernce is for Garmin in the low end units IE Explorists etc and Magellan in the high end / crossover's.
Having said that each company is as bad as each other for anything other than handheld walkabout use due to proprietary software, mapping costs, infrequent updates etc etc.

For vehicle applications I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole but I am into "mapping and GPS" so for others who aren't they are OK I s'pose. A 2 or 3 hundred dollar 7 inch display GPS off E'bay will slaughter them for versatility, map currency and pretty much zero cost to update maps.