PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tail lights conversion..

madrider70
17th June 2011, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Contemplating changing the rear tail lights to work, but after talking to a Nissan Spare parts dealer in Victoria he informed me that it was illegal to have more than 3 brake lights working . After reading other threads, some owners suggested that it was OK to have the rr tail lights operational as long as the bottom ones was still working.

Can anyone please clarify this. I live in Victoria and the Patrol will be 2011 model.

Thanks

patch697
17th June 2011, 05:55 PM
Well thats interesting to here.... only 3 thay say?????

How would they explain trucks then...... they have heaps of Them, if your following one at night & they hit the brakes its enough to blind you with some of them & they are aloud to have that many they must be cos the cops don't need much of an excuse to pull them over & I could hardy see them giving the cops a reason could you?

hekarewe
17th June 2011, 06:13 PM
mad rider i would not read to much into what nissan says,,,,, if you want to convert your lights i did it through carsrus.com.au they are pritty much a plug n play set up and very cheap. if you are concerned about legality then speek to the roads and traffic office in your state Vicroads they should have a tech department that will tell you if you can or not but it is news to me as patch said if that was the case then us truckers would be getting defected on it every night

YNOT
17th June 2011, 07:01 PM
Toyota Prado's and Holden Jackaroo's have 5 brake lights from factory, just about all vehicles related to mining have additional high brake lights fitted, so I find it very hard to believe all those vehicles are illegal and I've never heard of anyone getting booked for having too many brake lights.

Tony

big_fletch
17th June 2011, 07:58 PM
It's not illegal as I have asked local police station about it for a customer at work.. The Stop lights from factory (bumper and top of rear window) must not be removed though..
So as far as I'm aware shouldn't be a problem.. If anything its adding to safety

scotty83
17th June 2011, 08:28 PM
mad rider i would not read to much into what nissan says,,,,, if you want to convert your lights i did it through carsrus.com.au they are pritty much a plug n play set up and very cheap. if you are concerned about legality then speek to the roads and traffic office in your state Vicroads they should have a tech department that will tell you if you can or not but it is news to me as patch said if that was the case then us truckers would be getting defected on it every night

I have used the same company with my GU with great success. Looks great and if someone can't see me break they shouldn't have a license

scotty83
17th June 2011, 08:33 PM
My understanding is though that there is some concern about the ADR fact that the righthand lights can't be seen from some ridiculous angle like 40 degrees due to the spare tyre. But I can't see a cop pulling you over for it and it is not going to cause an accident so insurance company's shouldn't care either.

Nick74
7th July 2011, 07:46 PM
My understanding is though that there is some concern about the ADR fact that the righthand lights can't be seen from some ridiculous angle like 40 degrees due to the spare tyre. But I can't see a cop pulling you over for it and it is not going to cause an accident so insurance company's shouldn't care either.

That wouldn't be an issue if the ones in the bumper were working though would it?

Cheers