PDA

View Full Version : GU won't start

GQtdauto
26th October 2019, 11:47 AM
Wife's 2002 GU 3ltr grenade stalled on her way to work yesterday but restarted fine , I followed her home from work it stalled once but again fired up first pop got home no worries .
Put 40 litres fresh diesel in because it was under quarter full took it for a spin and it died but didn't stall so went home and parked up .
Started it this morning ok and went to put it in the shed it stalled three times .
Once in the shed I turned it off and lifted the bonnet and now it won't fire at all , can hand prime pump about half a pump only so not sure if it's fuel but maybe injector shit itself not sure , had alternator changed three weeks ago but that's it .
Going to replace fuel filter in case it's blocked and have some MAF sensor cleaner will give that a go but is this something someone else has come across and if so what was it ?

threedogs
26th October 2019, 12:37 PM
Hi Rob other than those other things we dicussed have you noticed if
that black bulb on the IP was firm.

GQtdauto
26th October 2019, 12:45 PM
No John will check , by the look of the posts looks like I'm not alone with starting problems

threedogs
26th October 2019, 01:07 PM
Ah good you saw that one, might be worth
checking very similar with the alternator swap etc

GQtdauto
26th October 2019, 01:17 PM
Did test battery even though it's a year old and it's good at 12.79 as for alternator I'd have to get it going before I can check that .

jff45
26th October 2019, 04:46 PM
Have you checked the fault codes?

GQtdauto
26th October 2019, 05:59 PM
Have you checked the fault codes?

No mate no reader so will call RACV and get a free reading on Monday , not happy with last mechanic to clean the MAF sensor the barstard coated the seal in what looks like yellow axle grease ,and slapped it on .
Have disconnected the battery and will check again tomorrow but have ruled out Nats as well now .

jff45
26th October 2019, 06:15 PM
You don’t need a reader. You can bridge the plug and record the flashes with your phone.
There was a thread on the forum here that explained the procedure.

GQtdauto
26th October 2019, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that will check it out if nothing goes well tomorrow.

mudski
29th October 2019, 08:22 AM
Any luck with this mate?

GQtdauto
29th October 2019, 10:57 AM
Any luck with this mate?

Yes Mudski , disconnected battery for 12 hours , cleaned the MAF sensor and nothing but pumped the right rear tyre from 29 psi to 35 psi and now it starts and runs like a dream !
Getting a code reader tomorrow from Aldi and see if anything shows ,too scared to go for a drive just in case but my sons mate is an ordained minister so might get him to perform an exorcism on it just to be sure .
Only thing I can think of is it was low on fuel and by putting 40 litres in it somehow it's fixed the problem it just needed time to push the older fuel out of the system , either that or I've discovered a new hack for fixing ZD 30 that won't start just pump up the rear tyre .
I'll post what error messages there are if any tomorrow .
Was suspecting the new alternator and maybe they bumped something while fitting it but now who knows .

jff45
29th October 2019, 11:21 AM
The Aldi code reader is for OBD2 so won’t work with ZD30 DI. You need a Nissan Consult reader like Ecutalk.

GQtdauto
29th October 2019, 11:29 AM
The Aldi code reader is for OBD2 so won’t work with ZD30 DI. You need a Nissan Consult reader like Ecutalk.

Thanks for that , there's a new mechanic just up the road might go for a drive and see what he reckons .

GQtdauto
30th October 2019, 11:00 AM
Just drove the GU to the mechanic just up the road and as soon as the GU seen his workshop it died about four metres from his shed .
Not throwing any fault codes at all according to his equipment so I've had to leave it with him , thankfully he knows his patrols .

mudski
30th October 2019, 12:15 PM
Another member here had very similar issues. He ended up putting clear fuel hose from the filter to the pump. There was small air bubbles in there and under load the motor was dying due to sucking in those air bubbles.

GQtdauto
30th October 2019, 12:18 PM
Cheers mate .

threedogs
30th October 2019, 01:28 PM
Another member here had very similar issues. He ended up putting clear fuel hose from the filter to the pump. There was small air bubbles in there and under load the motor was dying due to sucking in those air bubbles.

Could that also mean the fuel lines are brittle and require immediate replacement
My return line perished a few months back

GQtdauto
30th October 2019, 02:53 PM
Not sure John but I rang him and he said he uses the same method using clear hose .

threedogs
31st October 2019, 09:24 AM
Any up dates Rob??

GQtdauto
31st October 2019, 08:11 PM
Sorry no internet all day TD, rang this morning finally got a code out of it and it was loss or intermittent connectivity between Injector pump and ECU .
Has rang again tonight and is not so sure it is the pump and wants to try something else first ,I do know the pumps on these are built to fail around the electronics going by comments I've seen .
So will see , clear fuel hose showed no bubbles but he says when hot it won't go but when cold it will and if he keeps the pump cool it keeps going but as soon as it gets hot it dies .

threedogs
1st November 2019, 02:44 PM
Could that possibly mean a bad earth, for what Patrols are renouned for.
Hot and windy up your way so more than the Patrol on your mind

GQtdauto
1st November 2019, 05:46 PM
Ok just picked the GU up ,7 hours labour plus parts $<500 .
Computer says IP and clear plastic hose says no leaks so everything points to IP , mechanic not convinced and investigates further and find an air lock past the point of the plastic hose .
He has done some mods with blanking off and putting in a tee piece and replacing a crap load of perished hose , GU now runs like the ones in the commercial from years ago and I'm happy as a pig in mud .
No longer throwing error codes and I've just given it a thrashing all good .

Hodge
1st November 2019, 06:48 PM
Ok just picked the GU up ,7 hours labour plus parts $<500 .
Computer says IP and clear plastic hose says no leaks so everything points to IP , mechanic not convinced and investigates further and find an air lock past the point of the plastic hose .
He has done some mods with blanking off and putting in a tee piece and replacing a crap load of perished hose , GU now runs like the ones in the commercial from years ago and I'm happy as a pig in mud .
No longer throwing error codes and I've just given it a thrashing all good .Good outcome mate..
I wonder though how many people would have just copped a new IP on the chin , even though it wasn't ....

GQtdauto
1st November 2019, 08:47 PM
Exactly , and what he did I can't quite explain due to meds im on and understanding just what he showed and explained but seems the point of fuel return was most of the problem .
So he has bypassed it with the t piece , genius or hack who knows but I'm happy .
Also another solution if any one else goes searching .

mudski
8th November 2019, 09:48 PM
Yeah great outcome that’s for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
9th November 2019, 10:07 AM
X 2 great outcome
I hope you have enough meds for everyone ha ha
We love our meds, well the older ones who rattle do lol

GQtdauto
9th November 2019, 03:27 PM
Joy didn't last long was back in next day , fuel hand prime pump seal must have shit itself and was intermittent letting air in

Cuppa
10th November 2019, 03:09 PM
Try one of these in addition to a new filter top one. Makes priming so much easier. Not all are diesel compatible. This one is cheap too. Mine, (not this specific one) has been on several years now, but if it ever fails it's easy to take out of the line & rejoin.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hand-Primer-Pump-8mm-Rubber-Bulb-Fit-for-Priming-Diesel-Engines-With-2-Hoses-/162709827636

PeeBee
10th November 2019, 04:18 PM
Try one of these in addition to a new filter top one. Makes priming so much easier. Not all are diesel compatible. This one is cheap too. Mine, (not this specific one) has been on several years now, but if it ever fails it's easy to take out of the line & rejoin.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hand-Primer-Pump-8mm-Rubber-Bulb-Fit-for-Priming-Diesel-Engines-With-2-Hoses-/162709827636

Don't waste the money on one of these if you run a lift pump though as i found out recently. Soon as the ignition is on to open the fuel solenoid, the line pressurises and its impossible to squeeze the bulb. If you can bleed the system without the solenoid being energised, yes they are quicker. I discovered this after changing the IP, injectors and fuel lines. The Chev self primes off the lift pump alone, so I guess if the lift pump dies then I could use this, or just revert to the standard filter top pump.

Baby Daddy
10th November 2019, 04:26 PM
Isnt it ironic... sitting in a broken down gu that wont start whilst im waiting for a towie reading a thread about a gu that wont start

Says to mrs... "See hunni... its not just me"....

Thanks for saving my marriage lol
#notallsuperheroeswearcapes haha

GQtdauto
14th November 2019, 01:48 PM
Still at the shop ,went ok for 20 Kay's then stalled again it's sucking air at the filter housing so replaced filter housing primer with a new one and now the GU has cracked the shits big time .
Seems to be sucking the fuel out of the filter leaving it dry ( empty) so bit of a mystery unless there's problems now (still) further back in the tank maybe .
Mechanic is going to leave it for a few hours restart it and try cracking the injector lines to get whatever air is in it out and go from there .
Just to add insult to injury Bursons who sent the filter housing and pump down from Sydney it went missing from Monday to yesterday grrrrrrr.

GQtdauto
14th November 2019, 02:24 PM

Are thinking of an electronic pump thanks though .