PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Water Temperature Senders - How To Test Folks?

MB
8th October 2019, 10:34 PM
G’day NP.com.au Team,

Electrically challenged skills I do have and are hoping for some guidance on a possible NPT Yanky water temperature sender issue believed found for a custom aftermarket nuffy need.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/47.jpg
As best as I can find tonight the additional silly Yanky dual fan module appears to be powered up yet still no action even on the old trucks first 90C Craig Davies Fans historical settings as always before!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/48.jpg
All roads nuff nuff logically (I think) point back to the Yanky sender, is there kindly anyway to mechanically/electrically test its funkationality?
Many thanks!
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
9th October 2019, 12:54 PM
Mark is the sensor two wire or single wire mate? If single it should just be a simple switch, on (at the set temp) and off. So if you heat some water to the set temp, attach a DMM to the thread and then to the wire, if the switch is working it should trigger at the set temp. Should. Lol.

MB
9th October 2019, 01:42 PM
Thanks Mark mate, appreciated!
Think it is single wire so I’ll give that a go tonight[emoji106][emoji106] matfew sparky is in the hills later this evening too so might be able to handball this task to him [emoji23][emoji106]

mudski
9th October 2019, 05:15 PM
Thanks Mark mate, appreciated!
Think it is single wire so I’ll give that a go tonight[emoji106][emoji106] matfew sparky is in the hills later this evening too so might be able to handball this task to him [emoji23][emoji106]

Yeah should work in theory. It works on the similar principle to an oil pressure switch, but is activated by heat. The switch is just an earth contact for the fan.

mudski
11th October 2019, 09:38 AM
Any luck mate?

MB
11th October 2019, 01:51 PM
Haven’t had a crack myself yet mate and poor old Matfew has been flat out like a lizard drinking, 4:00am starts the poor bugger!

mudski
11th October 2019, 02:06 PM
Haven’t had a crack myself yet mate and poor old Matfew has been flat out like a lizard drinking, 4:00am starts the poor bugger!

I have to drop off parts to a customer in Yarra Glen in the morning. I can drop past and take a look if you like.

MB
11th October 2019, 02:14 PM
That’d be awesome, thanks mate [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

mudski
11th October 2019, 03:02 PM
That’d be awesome, thanks mate [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

No worries. I'll call you in the morning.

MudRunnerTD
11th October 2019, 08:39 PM
Yeah you would test that the same way as a thermostat in a pot. Test to boil.

MB
11th October 2019, 10:27 PM
Cheers Gents, was briefly chatting with Rusty_Nail mate today about possibilities and there could potentially be an issue with the Derale module and its chip thingies that do their smart farenheit on/off caper!
Must say I did get a bit McGoogle excited buying it off a USA race mob years ago IIRC and wondered if its somewhat open improperly sealed undercarriage would survive completely different Bogan down under centigrades :-)

MB
13th October 2019, 03:09 PM
Thanks heaps mudski mate for taking the time to kindly assist on site, greatly appreciated!
We’re both in agreeance I think that I should have never bought the fandangle Derale unit in the first place dusty down under :-)
Would anybody kindly know a best place to buy simple old school water sender switches from so I can make it more reliable?
Trying to have fan #1 activate at 90C and then backup fan #2 at 95C for the heavier hill climbing summer stuff.

PeeBee
13th October 2019, 06:15 PM
Thanks heaps mudski mate for taking the time to kindly assist on site, greatly appreciated!
We’re both in agreeance I think that I should have never bought the fandangle Derale unit in the first place dusty down under :-)
Would anybody kindly know a best place to buy simple old school water sender switches from so I can make it more reliable?
Trying to have fan #1 activate at 90C and then backup fan #2 at 95C for the heavier hill climbing summer stuff.

Is that what the Derale unit did or are you looking for a different functionality MB? Have you confirmed the unit is unservicable? In hindsight maybe it should have been mounted in an IP rated box, but then again, a unit like this should be up to the typical duty its expected to be located within. I would drop the mob you bought it from and see if they can help with a switched module.

MB
13th October 2019, 06:26 PM
Cheers Philstar, I honestly just don’t trust this prick anymore mate!
It does also, when previously working, have a spazzy both fans don’t shut off until circa 85C IIRC. That function smashes my alternator when not needed and I have to manually (like river crossings) flick off all power to reset its brain for some 120 secs.
I’m over it, have achieved I believe the most stable running 6.5Chev certainly in Victorian mountains and some Yanky microMcChip is giving my nuffy noggin grief, fark it off I thinks :-)

MB
16th October 2019, 12:04 AM
Good old Tridon, never knew they had several hundred products throughout many catalogues for most blokes needs [emoji106][emoji106]
https://tridon.com.au/flipbook/65969

Cremulator
19th October 2019, 09:26 PM
Hey @MB, did you sort this out?
I was just reading through the operating instructions for the redarc G52-BET and thought you could use the optional temp warning level on your redarc gauge to trigger the relay output and power on your second fan when it hits 95°.
You should only have to buy a relay to test this out.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/168.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/10/169.jpg