PDA

View Full Version : GU factory fog light install - SUCCESS!

DaveyC
11th August 2019, 02:16 PM
Hey guys,

For any of you wondering if the GU factory fog light wiring is able to be used, the result is a resounding YES!

I did this mod on my son's '08 D40 Navara and assumed the same could be done on my '15 GU ST ute. The Nissan brochure makes no mention of fog lights as a factory option, however when I spotted the loom tucked up behind the bull bar, I figured I'd give it a go.

First step was to chop out the ugly plastic blanks in the ARB bull bar and install a set of new ARB LED fog lights. This was an easy one, as they were designed to fit. I had to chop off the factory connector and crimp the ARB connector to the factory wiring. Then I could plug the new lights straight in.

Next was to flick through the electrical wiring diagrams (generously provided by this site) to see how they are wired. The 15A fog light fuse was already installed, so that was easy.

Next was the relay. My ute had no relay in the "FR FOG LAMP" socket but I spotted one in the "RAD FAN" socket. As there was no radiator fan in sight, the quick solution was to move the fan relay into the fog light spot. The "RAD FAN" relay socket had only two terminals connected, so I knew for sure that it was not being used. Of course, if yours has a radiator fan, then a new relay would be needed.

Next was the switch in the cabin. After removing the steering column plastic covers, I spotted a lonely white connector with two wires. Bridging these terminals (with the headlights on) lit up the new fogs - perfect!

Next was a trip to my local Nissan dealer to get a new indicator stalk. This was the biggest hassle, as they ordered one to suit my VIN, which of course, was the exact one I already had. So after some searching by the Nissan parts man, he ordered the correct one. It was not an Australian stock item, so it had to come from Japan - took 2 weeks.

Two screws and 30 seconds later, the new indicator stalk was installed and "let there be light"

An extra bonus is the instrument cluster indicator, which only works using the factory wiring.

Now I have "factory" fog lights - yay!

Not sure if all other models have this factory loom installed, but given the small amount of extra components, my guess would be highly likely. It would be a very simple dealer fitted option (even though not available here in OZ), so it would make sense for Nissan to include most of the wiring ready to go.

Overall it was a super easy job. Not that fog lights are particularly effective but I reckon they look pretty neat compared to those ugly plastic blanking caps. The ARB lamps were about $120 and the switch was about $240. Yeah it's a bit expensive but when the missus is watching "The Bachelor" on the telly, I'm in the garage playing with the truck, so it was worth every cent!

MudRunnerTD
11th August 2019, 03:47 PM
Bloody legend mate. Did you document the wiring colours at the bar?? The part number for the stalk is a bonus. Thank you.

What about daylight running lights? Is that part of the loom too by chance?

Great thread mate. I have the lights fitted but not wired.

DaveyC
12th August 2019, 05:41 PM
Ah yeah - why didn't I think of that. Bang Head

Cables to both lamps had only two wires: red/blue and black
Cable to switch connector also only two wires: red and blue/black

Definitely no other wiring there for daytime running lights, so that would be some custom wiring for you to do.

Enjoy!

0-TJ-0
13th August 2019, 11:56 AM
Brilliant thread. I have no interest in fog lights but good to know there's easy pre-installed loom with a dash indicator.. will be useful for something!

BrazilianY60
25th October 2022, 10:39 AM
An extra bonus is the instrument cluster indicator, which only works using the factory wiring.

Oh, I shouldn't have seen this, LOL.

I have the factory fogs on the proper stalk but have no instrument cluster indicator. And I was happy... Now I will have to find the whereabouts of my cluster indicator!

:bigthumbup: