PDA

View Full Version : GU Drive train vibration

1peter
9th June 2011, 05:16 PM
In another post i mentioned a vibration my truck has got when i take off in 1st gear (auto box 4.5 engine). I have since realized that it only does this when turnig as you take off eg: stopped at an intersection waiting to turn, as i take off and turn the corner there is a slight vibration through the drive train somewhere ?? I spoke to a 4X mechanic and before i could say anything he asked me if it did it when i was turning, when i said yes he said it is normal with GU's and it is because of the limited slip diff. Is this true of other Gu owners on this Forum ?? I am going to get the diff oil changed regardless but i am just curious to see if other owners have the same issue ??

AB
9th June 2011, 09:22 PM
In another post i mentioned a vibration my truck has got when i take off in 1st gear (auto box 4.5 engine). I have since realized that it only does this when turnig as you take off eg: stopped at an intersection waiting to turn, as i take off and turn the corner there is a slight vibration through the drive train somewhere ?? I spoke to a 4X mechanic and before i could say anything he asked me if it did it when i was turning, when i said yes he said it is normal with GU's and it is because of the limited slip diff. Is this true of other Gu owners on this Forum ?? I am going to get the diff oil changed regardless but i am just curious to see if other owners have the same issue ??

Hi mate, does it only do it on tight turns or just any type of turn?

YNOT
9th June 2011, 10:09 PM
My first GQ did exactly the same thing. I changed the rear diff oil to Castrol SAFXA (85W140) and never had another problem.

Tony

patch697
9th June 2011, 11:26 PM
My first GQ did exactly the same thing. I changed the rear diff oil to Castrol SAFXA and never had another problem.

Tony

Cheers Tony that just saved me a phone call to ya cos the Mav has just started doing the same thing but only after I've been driving a bit & the Diff has had a chance to warm up..

I recently changed all the box (5spd) & diff oils using fuocs but since then the box is changing like sh!t & the LSD has started getting grabby in the corners when warmed up......

Any recommendations for box, transfer & front diff?

YNOT
10th June 2011, 06:19 AM
I like Castrol oils, a bit more expensive but I've never had a problem when I've been using them.
80W90 for gearbox and transfer, LSX90 for the front diff.
I have seen people use auto trans fluid (like Dexron II) in manuals to improve gearshifts but that was in smaller gearboxes, I don't know that I would like to try that in an older and bigger gearbox like you have.

Tony

1peter
10th June 2011, 07:29 AM
AB, usually when making left or right hand turns going around corners and only after stopping or slowing down to almost a stop. I will try YNOT's advice and change the diff oil then see how she goes. Thanks for the feedback.

1peter
10th June 2011, 04:49 PM
Diff oil is changed and the problem is all but gone.

AB
10th June 2011, 04:51 PM
Cheers for getting back to the post mate, good to hear!

1peter
11th June 2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks AB.