PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal road closures (vic high country info)

Baby Daddy
1st June 2019, 09:14 AM
Has this sent to me and thought it may be useful to knkw78649

PeeBee
1st June 2019, 01:35 PM
I also understand that DNRE have closed the Howitt or tamboritha Rd form the last crossing of the Wellington/end of the bitumen due to unsafe trees yet to be e. This will affect the Licola Meeting as snow access is typically way up past Arbuckle junction. I know this as my brother was in touch with them 2 weeks ago and trying to get up to Kellies lane, but all locked off at the Wellington until November it seems. It would pay to get in touch with DNRE or DSE at Heyfiled for confirmation.

Sprock
1st June 2019, 09:46 PM
Yeah they’ve shut heaps of tracks early up the back here due to either snow of ‘dangerous trees ‘ , usually it’s the Tuesday after the Queens birthday long weekend till the Tuesday after cup weekend but it’s all changed this year

Plasnart
1st June 2019, 10:49 PM
Global warming disaster.

MudRunnerTD
2nd June 2019, 04:29 PM
I also understand that DNRE have closed the Howitt or tamboritha Rd form the last crossing of the Wellington/end of the bitumen due to unsafe trees yet to be e. This will affect the Licola Meeting as snow access is typically way up past Arbuckle junction. I know this as my brother was in touch with them 2 weeks ago and trying to get up to Kellies lane, but all locked off at the Wellington until November it seems. It would pay to get in touch with DNRE or DSE at Heyfiled for confirmation.

Sorry does that mean no access to Arbuckle junction?,if that is closed its assumed snow is way lower but certainly that's our lunch spot.

MudRunnerTD
2nd June 2019, 04:29 PM
Yeah they’ve shut heaps of tracks early up the back here due to either snow of ‘dangerous trees ‘ , usually it’s the Tuesday after the Queens birthday long weekend till the Tuesday after cup weekend but it’s all changed this year

Hey Ads, can you confirm for us that we have no access to Arbuckle please.

MB
2nd June 2019, 04:47 PM
Sprock and or mountain UHF markers should get a hold of him. Failing that, an SMS/MMS of some funny sh#t and back at ya immediately from some wicked working legend mountain peak reception finally [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
2nd June 2019, 05:18 PM
Hey Ads, can you confirm for us that we have no access to Arbuckle please.

As of 2 weeks ago, DSE were not re-opening the roads until Cup weekend, so I would say start looking for another snow location as at 300m there won't be any! The roads are closed due to fires that took place on the east side of the Tamboritha Road from about 450m up past Arbuckle, nothing to do with the snow at lower elevation

Rossco
2nd June 2019, 05:21 PM
Bugger but is what it is if closed. Mt Selma probably closest highest contingency from Licola base camp ? ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Winnie
2nd June 2019, 05:37 PM
Yeah Mt Selma is awesome but a bit of a mission from Licola I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PeeBee
2nd June 2019, 05:38 PM
Bugger but is what it is if closed. Mt Selma probably closest highest contingency from Licola base camp ? ?

Yes I think so Rossco. I have been in snow up at the intersection of the track that branches off westwards from Cheynes Bridge - eventually comes out on the Licola Jamieson Rod. Unsure of elevation though but probably pretty close to where Licola is.

MudRunnerTD
2nd June 2019, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a nice change Arbuckle is kinda lame so winner

Winnie
2nd June 2019, 05:46 PM
Yeah Mt Selma is awesome but a bit of a mission from Licola I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkActually just looked at the maps and it is not bad at all. Probably be a winner actually Rossco!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rossco
2nd June 2019, 05:55 PM
Yeah is pretty close really probably bout the same as Kelly's car park or whatever it's called . .

PeeBee
2nd June 2019, 05:56 PM
Yeah is pretty close really probably bout the same as Kelly's car park or whatever it's called . .

Where you usually get to is called the Gorge carpark, just shy of the seasonal gate closure. Kellys is a lot lower from memory.

MB
2nd June 2019, 08:21 PM
Still some near 4 weeks to go, settle pettles [emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
2nd June 2019, 08:26 PM
Still some near 4 weeks to go, settle pettles [emoji106][emoji106]

Yes the main road may get opened up sooner I would hope, but secondary tracks that typically stay open may not. doesn't hurt to have a plan B.

MB
2nd June 2019, 08:29 PM
Make it up as we go for sures mate [emoji106][emoji106]

matfew
3rd June 2019, 11:35 AM
I can't find anything about Tamboritha Rd closed online. Even the Vicemergency site says its open and its not listed on the track closures site either.

PeeBee
3rd June 2019, 11:52 AM
I can't find anything about Tamboritha Rd closed online. Even the Vicemergency site says its open and its not listed on the track closures site either.

03 5139 7777 - DNRE Heyfield. Roads are open from Licola to the Gorge carpark and seasonal gate. Deep snow in abundance. Seasonal closures from this weekend, kelly's lane and some tracks may be closed earlier due to snow depth. Ice under snow just prior to Arbuckle Junction on off camber section heading downhill has caught a number of vehicles off guard and off road this last weekend. Snow depth at The Gorge carpark is currently 30cm and rising.