PDA

View Full Version : UHF Instal Radio position

flemj
4th June 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi everybody,

I am going to install my UHF radio Sunday and I was wondering were others have put theirs. Mine is a 2011 GU.

Pictures would be great as well if you have any.

John

Finly Owner
4th June 2011, 09:34 PM
If you search dash pod, you should see some ideas

Tim

my third 256
5th June 2011, 05:33 AM
remove double din radio and replace with single din then you can put uhf radio in the other space under radio
thats what i did

Bigrig
5th June 2011, 07:52 AM
If it's a remote handset unit (buttons on the handset for changing channels, volume etc), then you could install it under the passenger seat in the front - conceals the unit away from prying eyes, and makes for not having to change your dash around to suit (cleaner job).

bigG
5th June 2011, 08:31 AM
Hi John
I pit mine in a roof consol, sorry cant post pics but I Live 10 mins away in Sunbury if you wanna come over and have a look

Regards

flemj
5th June 2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks BigG

I was hoping to keep it down low. Thanks for the offer though.

John

fixer982
5th June 2011, 09:16 PM
I have the remote head GME Unit, 3400 I think. I mounted the unit under the steering wheel on the face of the dash near the steering height adjusted (mine is a Ti). I put the skinny remote head on the front of the dash pod so that it sits betwen the speedo and tacho. I used double-sided tape on the bracket and after 3 years it is still there. The mic then mounted to the holding clip which I screwed to the dash below the sub-tank switch. It was easy to do it this way and I can even hear the built-in speaker. If yours is the all in one unit, then I agree with "My Third" that the best spot is under the radio. Mine was broken in to and they damaged the original double DIN radio, so the replacement was a single DIN unit and I have a pocket below it. I would put it there. Third choice would be the side of teh console next to the driver's knee but make sure you have room to move the seat forward if you do.

Eds where?
7th June 2011, 10:39 PM
I've put mine under the steering colum so just the front shows above my left leg and the hand set stays in the compartment next to the gear change. find it works well until you need to mess with it. good job I can work it without looking at it too long!

katwoman
7th June 2011, 11:30 PM
GME 3100
Bit of a pain.. I noticed on w/end, kept hitting channel button and changing channel.

Also fitted external speaker...

Maxhead
8th June 2011, 07:16 AM
If you have an auto then this spot might be ideal. Manuals don't have this little compartment.
The UHF is a GME tx3420 remote head unit

04OFF
8th June 2011, 08:44 AM
That looks neat Nisspat, took me a second or so to spot the UHF as it blends in so nice.

Where did you mount the unit itself ?

flemj
8th June 2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas everybody,

At this stage I am leaning towards mpounting on the passenger side next to gear stick.

John

flemj
9th June 2011, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I changed my mind and mounted the radio to the front of the glovebox. Power comes from one of the cigarette lighter plugs. Joined the wires in at the rear.

John

nowoolies
10th June 2011, 05:08 AM
mine is a gme TX33040
i put the unit behind the concil
and the hand set by the gear stick auto all outta the way

TimE
10th June 2011, 02:23 PM
I have a GME 3420 remote head unit. The main unit is installed under the passengers seat. If you remove the seat you should find a metal frame under the seat squab that you can screw the radio cradle onto. The main body of the radio can be slid in and out of this frame easily with the seat in place.

The head unit is mounted as per pic, the mic. holder is mounted using double sided 3m tape on the passengers side of the stereo unit, allows both the driver and passenger easy access.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/timber93au/DSC04914.jpg

I mounted an external Benelec speaker ($20 at SCA) on the cargo barrier.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/24.jpg

twisty
10th June 2011, 08:25 PM
If you have an auto then this spot might be ideal. Manuals don't have this little compartment.

Thanks NissPat. Nice. VERY NEAT! My GU1 almost has the A/T switch in the way but it'll work! yeah ... that's what I want :-) but how to make the GU1 look as good!

Maxhead
10th June 2011, 09:28 PM
That looks neat Nisspat, took me a second or so to spot the UHF as it blends in so nice.

Where did you mount the unit itself ?

The unit itself it under the dash as high as I could get it just in case I ever flood the truck...LOL

I used a bit of high density foam to make a snug fit in the compartment.

madk1w1
10th June 2011, 11:05 PM
I have a pet hate for putting screws into perfectly good interior panels, so fitted mine using two of the screws on the side of the centre console on left side of radio if that makes sense. No pics as I'm at work and ute back in Perth, and it's a GQ.
Make a bracket and use factory screw positions not to hard with a little thought

flemj
13th June 2011, 07:50 PM
Hi guys,

Just taken my car for its first trip with the radio attached to the glovebox. It is a good place in some respects, easy to reach and doesnt get in the way. Sometimes the sun reflected off the numbers making it hard to read. Mic was easy to get to. Glovebox door shook a bit when going over ruts and rough ground. Wired into the back of the cigarette lighter

John

Jol
17th October 2012, 04:18 PM
Not sure if your head unit takes up the whole slot? My 2008 DX had room for a small Uniden just under the aftermarket headunit. Will grab pics tonight so that makes more sense!

oncedisturbed
17th October 2012, 11:26 PM
I have the GME TX 3100 same as Kat and installed it on the passenger side of the dash tunnel. Nicce and small, out of the way and the missus is happy as she doesn't knock it :)

megatexture
18th October 2012, 12:25 AM
stuck mine gme tx3500 in the sunglasses holder as it never gets used (as nothing will fit in it!)and the handset is on the dash out of the way.

Shaunt
21st October 2012, 08:47 PM
Mounted mine on the passenger side of the console,only place I could think of that didn't block anything

Greengu98
22nd October 2012, 10:19 AM
i have mine where the std stereo was, put an alpine cd player on top and the uhf underneath.. looks sweet!

Irvs
23rd October 2012, 12:29 AM
Got mine in the aftermarket dash pod in the GQ, perfect spot for it along with some battery testers

Lowy44
6th November 2012, 11:36 AM
I plan on using the rear mirror overhead console from a Pathfinder, and where the digital readout for compass and temp is, remove that and install one of those new coloured UHF radios.

jimi_h80
11th November 2012, 05:05 AM
mounted mine in center console, had in built speaker so removed speaker from unit and fixed to in side center console...will get some black screws eventually

threedogs
11th November 2012, 08:06 AM
I put a no drill policy on my 4x4 so everyone has to try and pic up spare screw holes
I have an Icom 440 mounte under dash on drivers side ,and used double sided tape
for mounting mike to dash, passenger can still reach and talk.

billy_b**
11th November 2012, 01:24 PM

thats a very clean install

fezz
14th November 2012, 02:35 PM
I have the remote mic GME the main unit is behind the centre console, removed the rear cover and bolted it out of sight, the mic comes out of the dash near the cig lighter socket