PDA

View Full Version : Oily air cleaner element is this normal?

snicko
4th June 2011, 03:49 PM
Is it normal to have "black oily stuff" in the air cleaner element?
GU 2006 with snorkel fitted.

HippoNZ
4th June 2011, 04:22 PM
I've heard that a certain amount comes back up through the air filter and its fine, however I've also heard that it can mean your engine is on the way out. Hopefully some one can tell you and hopefully it's not the second one!

Bob
4th June 2011, 04:43 PM
i've heard that a certain amount comes back up through the air filter and its fine, however i've also heard that it can mean your engine is on the way out. Hopefully some one can tell you and hopefully it's not the second one!

if ynot does not answer this post i would pm him as he is a guru and should be able to help

Yendor
4th June 2011, 04:54 PM
Mine is the same, the black spot always appears near the fresh air inlet (snorkel in your case).

I say normal.

Just think we breath this crud in everyday.

GUtsy ute
4th June 2011, 05:21 PM
Mine is the same, the black spot always appears near the fresh air inlet (snorkel in your case).

I say normal.

Just think we breath this crud in everyday.

X2, mines the same also.
Just changed it today.

YNOT
4th June 2011, 05:21 PM
Yes it is normal. Unfortunately the air box design does not circulate the air around the airbox, intead it just enters and hits one spot on the filter.
And if you think yours is bad check out the filter I pulled out of mine when I first got it!

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000703Medium.jpg

Tony

snicko
4th June 2011, 05:28 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Tony!!! Do you want my "clean one" hahahahahaha

Yendor
4th June 2011, 05:46 PM
Tony, just tap it out, she'll be good for at least another 20,000Km....lol

When checking fluid levels I will also remove the air filter, give it a couple of taps on the ground and reinstall it so the spot is in a different position.

snicko
4th June 2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys, Replaced with a new one but blew the old one out for "just in case" and "you never know when it might come in handy" and put it in the shed with all the other "just in cases" !! hahahaha

macca
4th June 2011, 06:27 PM
Mine does the same and doesn't take many K's either. Had a bit of a look today to see if the source is from the ute. Couldn't see anything but it is a bit strange that it looks like oil.
Put it in the shee'll be right file, and keep on rollin.
On a side bar was out in the bush a while back the snorkel inlet mesh was getting blocked with leaves continuosly over the weekend making a wheesing sound, gasping for air, and the filter was chockers with leaf litter. Emptied that a few time over the weekend as well. Turned out to be the 1200mm fibreglass uhf antenna knocking the leaves off and straight behind over the bonnet was the snorkel sucking them up. A PITA, got a short flexy jobbie for when it happens again.
Macca

the ferret
4th June 2011, 08:23 PM
Yes it is normal. Unfortunately the air box design does not circulate the air around the airbox, intead it just enters and hits one spot on the filter.
And if you think yours is bad check out the filter I pulled out of mine when I first got it!

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000703Medium.jpg

Tony

Blimey, she'd be blowing some black smoke then!

the ferret
4th June 2011, 08:26 PM
Question for Tony: would a catch can help at all? or is the oily ring coming from the atmosphere?
cheers Rod.

YNOT
4th June 2011, 09:07 PM
Blimey, she'd be blowing some black smoke then!

You'd think so but no, the Mass Air Flow sensor must have registered the reduced air flow and cut back the fuel.

Tony

YNOT
4th June 2011, 09:09 PM
Question for Tony: would a catch can help at all? or is the oily ring coming from the atmosphere?
cheers Rod.

Catch can would not help, the dirt is on the atmospheric side of the filter.

Tony

Finly Owner
4th June 2011, 09:23 PM
That filter had it's dollars worht used.

Tim

TCgolfer
19th June 2011, 07:55 PM
Yep that's the go. I give mine a 1/2 turn then a 1/4 turn then a 1/2 turn depending on how it's looking.
Spread the love around I guess.

TC