PDA

View Full Version : EOI - Family Reunion in 2013

DX grunt
23rd July 2010, 10:18 AM
I thought I'd start a thread for a 'family reunion' in 2015.

You blokes are family. I haven't laughed this much in a long time.

To celebrate the success of this forum and gaining newly founded friendships, I'd like to propose that we meet 'somewhere in Australia' in 2015 - preferably somewhere warm and sit around the campfire at night and spin a yarn or two, or three. LOL

While you're thinking of a 'spot', we need to decide if it's going to be family orientated and pet friendly. Food for thought.

It's not that far away. I've chosen that year, because it will give most of us time to do mods and save up for a great reunion.

I have to 'request' my holidays 12 months in advance, so I need the extra time to plan.

Things change, I know. Some people may be doing other things in 2015, and I understand that too.

In 2014, I'll ask Andy to put up a Poll - 'What state do you live in?' and that should be a good gauge of where it'll be, but keep the ideas flowing. It's pointless doing a poll now, coz the dynamics will have changed that much, the statistics will be well and truly out of date.

Either way, I believe it'll be east of the WA/SA border, so I'll be taking at least 3 days to drive there, then at least 3 days to drive back - depending on what part of WA I'm transferred to. I have to think logistically. I might even fly and hire a patrol as well as thinking about the wear and tear on the old bod!

If you're keen, start saving now for our family reunion in 2015.
Remember, spend a bit, save a bit.

This thread is in 'draft', so any suggestions would be welcome.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt
Avid Dockers supporter and 'true blue', 'ridgie didge', West Aussie (and a John Williamson fan!)

AB
23rd July 2010, 12:42 PM
Atleast my misses cant say "you never told me about this"...lol

5 years warning should be enough for her!

Sounds good Rossco.

Muzza
23rd July 2010, 12:45 PM
Great idea Ross.

That would be one hell of a catch up mate.

YNOT
23rd July 2010, 01:10 PM
Sounds good to me too. Were spread all over Australia, so somewhere in the middle seems logical.

Tony

patch697
23rd July 2010, 03:28 PM
Rossco you can count on me being there old mate. I wouldn't miss a shin dig like that for quids.....

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
23rd July 2010, 03:54 PM
Rossco you can count on me being there old mate. I wouldn't miss a shin dig like that for quids.....

Cheers
Paul

I think this thing's gunna be bigger than 'Ben Hur'. I'm just gauging interest at this stage, but planning needs to start sometime!

Most of us will probably need to book our leave pass early. Good to see Andy, our administrator, was the first cab off the rank!!!!

Damn this Aussie slang. I can't stop it now!! LOL

DX grunt
23rd July 2010, 04:13 PM
Sounds good to me too. Were spread all over Australia, so somewhere in the middle seems logical.

Tony

Adelaide, somewhere north of Adelaide or Ularoo ???

DX grunt
23rd July 2010, 04:45 PM
My initial thoughts are:

It's most likely going to be held in South Oz or NT somewhere near Ularoo.

Let's not 'reinvent the wheel'. If anybody knows of any 4wd club or a large group of people who has done something similar, can u please give them a call and find out the 'nuts and bolts' of how it worked.

Realistically, we need to find a place that will have plenty of food, showers and toilets. To do that, we'll need to talk to the 'locals' to find out what's available.

This campfire is starting to turn into a bonfire. hahahaha

Everyone of us must remember, not only are we 'on show', but every Nissan Patrol owner in Australia is on show, and every Nissan Patrol Club in Australia is on show - even though they won't be there. I don't expect any trouble, but we will need to self regulate and expect to be 'monitored' by the local constabulary - purely because of the numbers expected.

I don't expect to see, or hear of, one patrol doing 'circle work or hooning around', but if you get caught, expect to get your truck 'seized'. I'm so looking forward to this gathering. Remember we have to decide if it's a family and pet friendly gathering. We may need to think about charging an entry fee too. Another option is to pay somebody to do the lot, including a band, and just pay up. We've got 2 years to think about it and 2 years to organise it. We don't want to be running around in the last few weeks organising things?

Keep those thoughts coming, people

AB
23rd July 2010, 06:30 PM
Lets just keep this thread and throw ideas around.

Jeez Rossco, you got us excited now!

YNOT
23rd July 2010, 09:41 PM
I think that's a great suggestion Plas.

Tony

AB
24th July 2010, 12:21 AM
That is a great idea plassy, lets see how it pans out.

I also know of a great station on the murray near Wentworth which could house everyone so lets see who and how many are keen and work from there.

Rossco, 2015 may have to be changed to 2013...lol

DX grunt
24th July 2010, 12:33 AM
That is a great idea plassy, lets see how it pans out.

I also know of a great station on the murray near Wentworth which could house everyone so lets see who and how many are keen and work from there.

Rossco, 2015 may have to be changed to 2013...lol

Totally agree Andy. I was lying in bed thinking about this thread! 2015 is too far away. Too much can happen between now and then. I'm happy to make the initial enquiries unless somebody knows the station owner's personally.

Throw a couple of station names at me and I'll check it out. Would 100-200 be a fair guestimate of attendees?? Do U guys have a long weekend in October or somewhere around there?? What about the Easter Break??

I'm flying blind here guys. I don't know your part of Oz at all. Make up a list of questions for me to ask
Are we going to be family friendly?
Are pets allowed?
What are we going to stay in? Vehicles, tents, swags, camper trailers, on site accommodation???
Etc.....

Andy... can u change the date on the top of the post to 2013? Thanks in advance.

AB
24th July 2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah 2015 is a long way away.

I'm only just throwing Wentworth out there as It's literally on the border but as you said, lets poll it later on to see what the majority says.

I do the know the owners on that station and went there last Easter and with out a word of a lie.......GREAT TIMES!

The Murray is flowing. It has a massive homestead with power (cost them 20k to get it...lol) but its right on the bank.

See how it pans out though.

Good to see some offers from people though.

Anything goes at this place too.

DX grunt
28th July 2010, 09:44 PM
Hey Minxy.

Here 'tis.

Andy suggested, and I recommended it be brought back to 2013. Too much can happen between now and 2015. What do ya reckon? Ya happy with 2013?

PS. You couldn't find it coz it was a page back. We gas bag too much. LOL

Rossco

Minx
29th July 2010, 07:46 AM
Ok great, thanks Rossco.

2013 is a good idea but that will come quickly too.

Looking forward to it guys!!!

We'll have to end up doing a couple of polls like is it just for the boys or family, etc.

I'm happy either way, more the merrier and all that jazz.

AB
29th July 2010, 06:11 PM
Firewood is a big thing that needs consideration too. We're likely to needs quite a bit of it.

I have drafted up a checklist to help evaluate potential locations. I can't attach it tonight but will zip scan it tomorrow and post it up. Hopefully it will come in handy when considering the potential for a proposed location.

Love your work!

patch697
29th July 2010, 10:12 PM
Firewood is a big thing that needs consideration too. We're likely to needs quite a bit of it.

I have drafted up a checklist to help evaluate potential locations. I can't attach it tonight but will zip scan it tomorrow and post it up. Hopefully it will come in handy when considering the potential for a proposed location.

Where I go my chainsaw go's so count me in on the wood collection

Cheers
Paul

AB
30th July 2010, 09:42 PM
Great form, 1000% top marks on creating it. You know your stuff, impressed...lol

Do we, or should we have anyone central to the organisation of this event?

good point, it depends on where the majority want to go and how far I guess.

Do we want a general all round mission to get to our destination and kick back and enjoy the "seranity" or a central place to have creature comforts and enjoy the company.

We could start a thread using your form for willing members to fill out and email to us and poll the suggestions maybe?

Minx
30th July 2010, 09:56 PM
Nice work Plassy. I would be keen on a destination that's not a nightmare to get to. I mean, lets not meet up at Alice Springs area...haha. It would need to be accesible and as close as possible to the majority but still be in an area that had good tracks or something special about it me thinks.

patch697
30th July 2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Minxy. I agree with what you're saying, however this is a big country and if there's a lot of WA members showing interest then I think we need to consider all locations that are equitable for everyone.

So I reckon Andy should first of all start a thread asking for members to nominate their interst in attending this event. When we know who's keen, then we could ask those members for ideas about where they reckon would be good locations. We could then grade those locations against the checklist and see what place comes up as the best location.

Just my thoughts after a couple of reds!!

x2 Your right on the mark Plassy.....

DX grunt
6th August 2010, 01:03 AM
The above suggestions are by no means exhaustive, but just a few I found in a quick google search.

Out of these suggestions, I have only been to two. Warraweena and Eldee Station.

I have to say, Warraweena is a spectacular place and would suit this reunion "hands down" IMHO. It has several bush campsites which are far removed from each other so we wouldn't be anywhere near any other campers. It has plentiful fire wood. It has multiple 4x4 tracks ranging from easy to very technical/challenging, and would be enough to keep everyone having fun for days and days. It has very nice drop toilets at all camp sites (very well maintained and very clean). It has hot showers at the homestead. Would be camping only though as there's no accommodation in buildings there and there would be no pets allowed either.

I would welcome alternative suggestions from others too.

Thinking aloud. It has to be somewhere central. I've done a bit of homework and we're going to have the same fun in SA than travel extra to NT and have fun

Thinking aloud.....It's about 5,500km round trip from Perth to Warraweena and about 6,800km round trip from Newman, plus play time, plus food/drinks & accommodation. Need time off to travel (2-4 weeks ???? to enjoy myself & look around while I'm there). Do I fly/hire or drive/share driving & costs?

A large group, but pay individually, may get us cheaper rates.

Sounds good. Just got to work my logistics out and start saving..now. LOL

Can we start throwing around a few dates, coz I need to give 12 months notice in advance for hols?

I'm open to suggestions for other places too. The closer to Perth the better. lol

AB
8th August 2010, 12:22 AM
Agreed, would better for everyone in SA.

And teaming up to save on fuel would work well for all states.

We'll have to get NissanKid and those guys on to it when the time comes.

Just throwing September out there for a thoughts.

patch697
8th August 2010, 12:29 AM
I agree that SA is probably the most central for all of us. It would be my preference that we find a place that isn't too close to home as the trip is also a really enjoyable part of it I reckon. Members could team up and travel together to the designated meeting place and have fun along the way and back home.

Warraweena would definately be my first choice. I was there 12 months ago and it was the best place we stayed in the whole Flinders Ranges.

If we start to look at SA, perhaps the SA boys could recommend the best time of year for that region. I'd say exclude Summer definately as it'll be too hot. Probably anywhere between May to October would be best?

We might like to avoid school holiday season too (not that there'll be crowds at Warraweena, but less is best in this instance).

Im hearing Plassy & I agree with the hole concept Top idea.

& the fact that you could pick me up on the way seen as your cruising right past my front door......lol

DX grunt
8th August 2010, 12:55 AM
How many nights are we staying there? I would suggest 2. Obviously I'm not gunna drive 4-5,000k's for 2 nights, I'll be having a look around for a few days or even a week.

We also need to think of activities to do.

How about a fancy dress night? Plasssy, Paul and me might be the judges?

No way for me. I'm gunna be part of it. I'm just getting warmed up!!! LOL

patch697
8th August 2010, 12:58 AM
And if ya wearing ya dress I'll keep cruising past too!!

Hay you gotta keep yours old mate cos you have to put it on again at the reunion... We all do

p.s don't forget your duster....

patch697
8th August 2010, 01:02 AM
How many nights are we staying there? I would suggest 2. Obviously I'm not gunna drive 4-5,000k's for 2 nights, I'll be having a look around for a few days or even a week.

We also need to think of activities to do.

How about a fancy dress night? Plasssy, Paul and me might be the judges?

No way for me. I'm gunna be part of it. I'm just getting warmed up!!! LOL

Hmmmmm & the theme can be: Men as ladies & ladies as Men..........

Im gonna get Andy in a dress if it kills me.............lolololol

DX grunt
8th August 2010, 02:57 PM
OK you South Oz blokes (and ladies), time to showcase your state.

The general consensus is we have our 'Family Reunion" in your state.

Tell us where your best spot would be - an include an internet link, so we can all have a gander.

It is going to be a bit of a task, coz we all live in different parts of oz, and it'll be here before we know it.

Please have your submissions into this thread by 01 September, 2010.

Don't forget to nominate the preferred and alternate time of year you want

Any questions, ring 1800 ANDY..... lolol (just kidding)

my third 256
8th August 2010, 08:36 PM
hi from south oz have you herd of loveday its fantastic was also used for the 4x4 extreme weekend this year
google it its by the murrey up loxton way plenty of 4x4 tracks and a big bar with a large mud puddle out the front
they have the machinery to pull you out
also a 4x4 site up near mildura dont know the name but will ask a friend and post tomorrow
stephen

DX grunt
8th August 2010, 08:54 PM
hi from south oz have you herd of loveday its fantastic was also used for the 4x4 extreme weekend this year
google it its by the murrey up loxton way plenty of 4x4 tracks and a big bar with a large mud puddle out the front
they have the machinery to pull you out
also a 4x4 site up near mildura dont know the name but will ask a friend and post tomorrow
stephen

Great stuff. Make sure you post a link to the website. We need to suss it out.

Thanks Stephen.

Ross

my third 256
8th August 2010, 09:04 PM
heres the link to loveday http://www.loveday4x4adventures.com/
regards stephen

AB
9th August 2010, 07:43 AM
Cheers for that Stephen.

patch697
12th August 2010, 01:12 PM
That looks like a place I'd to take myself away to for a w/end.... Not bad Stephen not bad at all....

Have you been there yourself yet?

my third 256
13th August 2010, 01:38 AM
yes i have had a good time on the tracks the owner said if you do all the tracks he will go out and make some more

patch697
13th August 2010, 08:47 AM
yes i have had a good time on the tracks the owner said if you do all the tracks he will go out and make some more

Cheers Mate I might talk to some mates & see if it cold be a good weekender.

Paul

RustyNails
13th August 2010, 11:34 AM
All sounds good (except for the un-natural obsession with wearing dresses) so may be a possible.
Will need to see the dates as I have kids and kids have school and sport so if it is in school holidays and outside basketball season I could be in.
Love SA so any excuse to make the trip from Perth.

Paul

patch697
13th August 2010, 11:39 AM
All sounds good (except for the un-natural obsession with wearing dresses) so may be a possible.
Will need to see the dates as I have kids and kids have school and sport so if it is in school holidays and outside basketball season I could be in.
Love SA so any excuse to make the trip from Perth.

Paul

Don't panic mate, you wont be expected to wear one unless your like us silly buggers & loose a bet with AB.....lol

DX grunt
10th October 2010, 11:28 AM
bump

This was the initial thread.

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 12:14 PM
I've only been on the forum for a month (if that) and I think it's a bloody awesome idea ... have to admit though, with the way I drink and smoke, I usually am a bit more spontaneous regarding my holidays, but what they hey ... if I'm still around, I'm in wherever it's at!!!! LOL ... Top job Ross in suggesting it.

DX grunt
10th October 2010, 12:35 PM
The reunion is now 2012.

We're still deciding on a time, date and location.

Chops
10th October 2010, 06:45 PM
Sounds good to me too. Were spread all over Australia, so somewhere in the middle seems logical.Tony

So Alice Springs it is then :p

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 09:58 PM
Love Alice Springs ... would be perfect for everyone (as in everyone gets to hit the outback, it's most definitely central, and most would get a good dose of dirt roads etc on the way there and back) - awesome!!

Maxhead
11th October 2010, 06:34 AM
I'll be watching this thread closely to keep an eye on the dates.
I've got a Darwin trip planned in 2012 . woooohooooo Long service leave!!

patch697
11th October 2010, 10:44 AM
lots to see & do there so this maybe the ideal location of the meet.

Finly Owner
23rd October 2010, 09:21 PM
Just get permit to camp in desert.