PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new 2010 GU Patrol not starting

stumpy
30th May 2010, 03:13 PM
We purchase a new 2010 Nissan Patrol GU Diesel automatic. It has just complete 9000 km and we are having problems with it starting. Nissan roadside assist has been called out twice. Now the vehcile has been at a Nissan Dealer since last Monday and they can't work out what is wrong with it. Any ideas anyone. We are starting to get a little peeved as we are stuck in a town on holidays with no transport. It is not the switch between park & neutral. You have to keep sliding and wriggling the gear lever to get it started.

AB
30th May 2010, 05:22 PM
Could be so many reasons unfortunately Stumpy.

Have you checked anything yourself for common problems?

I'm sure the dealer has gone through the first initial checks such as...

Checking the Fuel Filter (could also just replace it anyway, never know?)
Checking the Fuses,
Checking the Fuel cutoff solenoid,
Checking Earths on the wiring, etc

CrazyDave
30th May 2010, 05:30 PM
Also check glow plugs for power at the rail, you could also crack an injector line and see if fuel is coming out maybe?

BLACK-GU
30th May 2010, 05:35 PM
Definatly first thing, check for fuel at the injectors.

Also, this is going to sound funny, but have you tried fired it up with the spare key?

stumpy
30th May 2010, 06:01 PM
We are currently on holidays and the spare key is about 2500km away. The Nissan Dealer has had the car since last Monday and they can't seem to find the fault. They have been taking parts from another vehicle and swapping them around.
We have asked that they ring Nissan Techs in Melbourne on Monday. They can get it going and then you go to start it 20minutes later and it want go.

AB
30th May 2010, 06:30 PM
You mentioned above that you have to slide and wiggle the gear lever to get it started.

When it doesn't start does the engine turn over or nothing at all?

stumpy
31st May 2010, 10:16 AM
Nothing at all

AB
31st May 2010, 10:34 AM
Almost sounds like issues with the auto not allowing ignition.

When you mentioned you have to slide and wiggle the gear lever to get it started.

Have the Nissan Techs been called? Would love to see what they say???

Mark
1st June 2010, 07:40 PM
Hey Stumpy....What was the outcome to this mate?

Johnno
3rd June 2010, 12:22 PM
I think Stumpy has paid up the $$$$ and heading home! :)

stumpy
9th June 2010, 05:47 PM
Just a quick update on the Patrol not starting. After 10 days they found it to be the relay switch at the back of the battery.
did not pay a cent vehcile under warranty.
Anyway thankyou for all the suggestions.

AB
9th June 2010, 06:23 PM
That's amazing that it stumped the guru's though.

Just a simple relay switch.

Shame about this happening on a vacation though!

Thanks for letting us know.

Johnno
9th June 2010, 06:28 PM
Stumpy, you made it home!

That sux about your trip mate, sorry to hear but also glad is wasn't major and you didnt have to pay big bucks, it sounded serious.

Glad it all worked out mate.

Timbo
10th June 2010, 12:34 PM
Thank god it wasn't something expensive. Well, I guess it ruined your holiday so that is kind of expensive. :/

Glad your back on the road. Got any pics of your beast!? :D

Chops
2nd October 2010, 09:42 PM
That's amazing that it stumped the guru's though.

Its more amazing it happened on a 2010 model vehicle that's done 9000kms.

YNOT
2nd October 2010, 10:17 PM
Some of those 'simple' faults can take a lot of finding.

Tony

Chops
2nd October 2010, 11:11 PM
I worked in an Auto Transmission Shop in Perth quite a few years ago. Heard a story about a couple of very experienced Transmission Mechanics couldn't work out why the car wouldn't move after replacing the Automatic Transmission. Turns out they missed one vital part, the tailshaft.

Maxhead
3rd October 2010, 07:04 AM
It's unfortunate it happened on your holiday stumpy, but parts fail new and always will. Just a pity it took so long to find.

Hope you can now enjoy the new ride without any dramas mate.

badstarter
15th May 2011, 09:47 PM
I bought a brand new 3.0 Diesel in jan 2010 it doesn't like to start, it has flat spots when overtaking and Nissan have had the top off 3 times now after replacing the common rail for another new one the dealer has damaged the valves and god knows what else as they say the timing belt "slipped" hhhmmm I smell bull dust I reckon. Any way we can only hope they have fixed the problem as i need my car for work and I have clocked up 15000 kms on their loan cars so far. Nissan the manufacturer do not care one bit they reluctantly wanted to give me $50 a day towards renting a 4WD with unlimited Kms what a joke and when I told guy at Nissan he said it was my fault for having a job were I need to travel into the bush hundreds of Kilometres from the city. As I pointed out thats why I bought a new car Nissan Australia doesn't want to take responsibility..........good luck

Clunk
17th April 2015, 06:05 PM
Hey Stumpy....What was the outcome to this mate?

Clunk
17th April 2015, 06:08 PM

I love it when MC stuffs up and randomises quotes

Avo
17th April 2015, 09:43 PM
firkin thread digger