PDA

View Full Version : The GU custom barwork inspiration thread

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 04:51 PM
The idea of this thread is to post up photo's of custom bar work on GU Patrols so when members go looking for ideas it's all in the one thread. If you are making your own barwork please start a seperate build up thread, then post up photo's of the barwork here when you are finished.

Tony

PS. Note the use of Cat mudflaps Kat.

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 04:54 PM
Nice use of round LED lights.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 04:57 PM
2DExtreme bar with LED lights.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 04:58 PM
2DExtreme rear bar with factory Nissan tail lights.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 06:03 PM
Rear tube bar.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 06:08 PM
I like the built in tow points on this bar.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 06:10 PM
Front tube bar.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 06:52 PM
Another front tube bar.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 06:53 PM
Rear tube bar keeping the original alloy step.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 09:08 PM
Front tube bar on comp ute.

Tony

Finly Owner
3rd June 2011, 09:44 PM
Great Thread Tony!

Tim

frenzy
4th June 2011, 08:41 AM
Hey Tony,
Is that rear bar with the round LEDs built by Les?
Workshop looks like his.

Also, where does the bar in the first post come from?
Cheers,
Steve

YNOT
4th June 2011, 08:51 AM
Hey Tony,
Is that rear bar with the round LEDs built by Les?
Workshop looks like his.

Also, where does the bar in the first post come from?
Cheers,
Steve

I'm not sure who made the bars. I've been collecting these photo's for a few years, some are from Patrol4X4 and others from 4WD action forum.

Tony

XLR8
4th June 2011, 01:06 PM
XLR8 Custom Tube bar - Series II
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii231/XLR8777/XLR8%20Fabrications/RGEDC0113.jpg

XLR8 Custom rear bar - Series I-III (no pics available with Slimline LED tail lights)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii231/XLR8777/XLR8%20Fabrications/Tank%204X4/IMGP1316r.jpg

Gert B Frobe
6th June 2011, 08:43 PM
For a rear tube bar, are the original bumper mounting points used? Also is there a big difference between a series 4 and all earlier models, or are the rear quarters the same dimensions? And can the factory tow hitch be retained or are mods needed?

YNOT
6th June 2011, 09:24 PM
For a rear tube bar, are the original bumper mounting points used? Also is there a big difference between a series 4 and all earlier models, or are the rear quarters the same dimensions? And can the factory tow hitch be retained or are mods needed?

Most people choose to use the original bumper mounting points, some add additional points for extra ridgitity.
There is slight differences in the rear quarters especially with the series 4 onwards flares. As this sort of barwork is custom made it's no problem to follow the lines of the bodywork what ever model you have.
If you want your towbar to be legal and insurable then you must use a rated towbar. In most cases this is what people have done, retain the approved towbar and custom make the barwork to fit around it. There are manufactures like Kaymar that make steel rear bars with built in towbars (approved) but expect to pay around $2500 just for the bar, jerry can holders and spare wheel carriers cost extra.

Tony

Gert B Frobe
6th June 2011, 11:56 PM
Cheers for the input,

Not too worried about the flares as im looking at some fibreglass replacements. The flares on the series 4 in my opinion are too chunky.

I have seen some of XLR8's work about the traps and im most impressed. The work is going to be carried out mostly by myself as i have just moved to the fab workshop so will have access to all sorts of goodies mwahahahahahahahahaha.

Was just looking for inputs and advice from anyone who has tackled this on their own and succeeded well.

hekarewe
7th June 2011, 12:24 AM
great pix tony good ideas great thread,,,, but!!! are these rear tube bars air bag compliant???? and do we know of any manufactures that can make these bars comply with the ned for air bags????? I had thought of going to a tube bar on the back but after talking to a few people in the know i was advised that it would be hard to make a tube bar compliant, and to have that wasn't could have the vehicle stickered as unroad worthy etc. please correct me if i am wrong.

GUIV
7th June 2011, 03:55 AM
rear bar airbag compliant?? your airbag will NOT depoly if someone hit you from the back, even with the factory plastic bumper... So there should not be any issue with that.

Front bar is different, most of the tube one is not compliant. The only one that is complaint is XROX one as far as I know.

YNOT
7th June 2011, 06:23 AM
rear bar airbag compliant?? your airbag will NOT depoly if someone hit you from the back, even with the factory plastic bumper... So there should not be any issue with that.

Front bar is different, most of the tube one is not compliant. The only one that is complaint is XROX one as far as I know.

Got it in one!

Tony

Timbo
7th June 2011, 08:44 AM
I didnt think any front tube bars were compliant? Thats interesting!

nowoolies
7th June 2011, 10:06 AM
top thread Tony
some good looking additions there

hekarewe
7th June 2011, 10:13 AM

looks like i might have been led up the garden path on that one hmmmm will have to do some more digging and see what else i can find out about it i must admit when iwas told that the rear bar had to be air bag compiant i did ask the same question,,, the answer i was given is that if your hit hard enough for the rear you could still be thrown forward and injurring yourself. question questions:1087:

Dark 1
7th June 2011, 03:11 PM
Another front tube bar.

Tony

I likey alot.

warey
1st October 2011, 12:53 PM
Nice use of round LED lights.

Tony

i know its a big ask but im chasing some dimensions to knock up a rear bar simlar to this be greatfull if any one can help out.
cheers warey

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 01:03 AM
The idea of this thread is to post up photo's of custom bar work on GU Patrols so when members go looking for ideas it's all in the one thread. If you are making your own barwork please start a seperate build up thread, then post up photo's of the barwork here when you are finished.

Tony

I love this bar! Looks fantastic.

Timbo
21st February 2012, 05:13 PM
I've been looking around for a rear bar/wheel carrier.

Looking closely at Millweld bars. Unfortunately they moved to Mansfield.. they were in Bayswater near where I work. :(

MILLWELD BARS (http://www.millweld.com/a/Rear_Bars)

I haven't made a decision on which style, but I'm leaning toward the squarer, more solid looking designs rather than just tube.

Also wouldn't mind getting steel side steps with checkerplate infills at the same time.

davejones
23rd February 2012, 12:50 AM
The Millweld bars look interesting. Anyone running them? How practical are their swing aways'. Great thread

Dave

Rick111
24th April 2012, 07:19 PM
Love this thread, has given me some great ideas. This bar in particular as it doesn't look that difficult to manufacture, also it looks a lot lighter than the other bars. Thanks again.
Cheers Rick PS love the Cat flaps.

Tony

Rick111
24th April 2012, 07:24 PM
Sorry bud I forgot to ask in my previous reply, do you have any photos of the wheel carriers as well, also, can you tell me the weight of the bar & diameter & the wall thickness of the pipe you used
Cheers, Rick.

Tony

jh5187
25th April 2012, 12:08 AM
that is a good lookin bar rick 111, i think i need some closer images and maby with the doors open too,

Astro
25th April 2012, 08:53 AM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii184/Astro_56_dub/4WD/2011-08-21_16-24-58_224.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii184/Astro_56_dub/4WD/2011-08-21_16-25-58_633.jpg

num_301
26th April 2012, 05:07 PM
Original started cracking, was alloy/weak and looked aweful, so it had to go.
So I made a steel one with brackets to hold spotties.
No big downbars to the tray as I have to still be able to carry motorbikes.
Also cross bar will soon have a plate welded so it can hold a spare when the canopy isn't on

ansaha
28th April 2012, 08:56 AM
some great ideas guys and look good as well.
Cheers Andrew

davejones
14th September 2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone considering a rear bar for a series 4, I've got one I'm looking to sell. I bought it off a mate but don't think it will fit my series III. Dual wheel carrier. I think Protector 4x4 or similar was the brand. I'm in Lakes Entrance in Vic.

Dave