PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you run over wildlife?

AB
3rd June 2011, 10:38 AM
I hit a wombat last night with the Patrol and trailer on a tight road and had to spend 15 minutes trying to turn around to check on it and ofcourse put it out of It's misery.

I have made a poll above to see what others would do in this situation. The poll is hidden so no one will know who voted in what section so please answer honestly.

Interested to see what others do in this situation...Please answer honestly.

What do you do when you hit an animal with your car?

Bob
3rd June 2011, 10:48 AM
It is important to check that the animal is ok or not and if necessary put it out of its misery.
Having said that not all people would be able to humanely kill an animal and in that case notify police or
probably more importantly wild life carers. It is not a nice problem to face.

AB
3rd June 2011, 10:58 AM
For sure It's not a nice job but you sleep better knowing you did the right thing rather then leave the animal on the road to die a slow and painful death. Even worse for another person to come along and hit the same animal or swerve to miss it and crash their vehicle and possible hurt/kill them too.

Silver
3rd June 2011, 10:58 AM
only ever hit one roo, checked on it - a buck, and it was dead

Bob
3rd June 2011, 11:01 AM
for sure it's not a nice job but you sleep better knowing you did the right thing rather then leave the animal on the road to die a slow and painful death. Even worse for another person to come along and hit the same animal or swerve to miss it and crash their vehicle and possible hurt/kill them too.

you bring up a good point there andyNEVER SWERVE TO MISS AN ANIMAL AS YOUR LIFE OR OTHERS LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN ANIMAL

hekarewe
3rd June 2011, 11:18 AM
you bring up a good point there andyNEVER SWERVE TO MISS AN ANIMAL AS YOUR LIFE OR OTHERS LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN ANIMAL

a piont i have never been able to enforce into the wife the number of time she has almost had an accident trying avoid,,,,,, (dont laugh) birds cats dogs etc (yes i did say birds first) i have lost count of!
but swerve and suddly brake etc she does:furious: i always get the same answer,, "i dont care i will not run over an animal!!!" after 25 years of interstate trucking i have hit my fare share of roo's wombats on so on and also seen the carnage causeed these animals the olny thing i would try and avoid in the truck was big live stock such as cattle and horses but even then i would only slowling down to lessen the impact and damage to the vehicle. wombats are by far in my appinion one of the worst things to hit in any vehicle. i was almost rolled over once in a truck by wombat he went under every wheel on one side of the rig and lifted that one side right up of the road, scared the sh*T out of me!

to be honest i dont always stop to check on an animal if i have hit it,,,, unless i have any doubts that it did not die instantly then i try to IF IT IS SAFE and NOT ENDANGERING OTHER ROAD USERS.

I will prob get caned for that last comment.

AB
3rd June 2011, 11:22 AM
Nah not if your trucking mate. You can't be expected to turn a monster around. My uncle was trucking for decades and loves animals but he said the same thing. It's just not possible to turn those puppies around all the time so no canning for you...lol

Bigrig
3rd June 2011, 11:23 AM
I eat it ... yum, yum, yum, yum ... lmfao ...

snicko
3rd June 2011, 11:31 AM
Our daughter swerved to miss an animal at night in a capital city last year, hit a sign that was at the start of a medium strip and after the sign were those rails that stand about a meter high made out of steel pipe cemented into the medium strip.

The road was fairly wide until they put the medium strip in (at the edge of the road and in the middle of the road) for people to cross which took it to a tight single lane. She had no time to brake and as she loves animals her natural instinct was to miss it.
Well she did miss the animal but .........................she wrote off her car!!!!!
The rails (x2) went under the car completely demolishing the drive train, gear box and twisting the chassis. She is very lucky she wan't hurt.

I have driven where all this happened and even knowing that swerving is the wrong thing to do, I don't know if I would'nt have done the same thing. The area is not well lit, tight and having "something" run at you from the left, you have less than a split second to make a decision in the dark.

Timbo
3rd June 2011, 11:42 AM
om nom nom nom.. roadkill lmao.

Thankfully I haven't hit anything yet. Been close a few times. Ran over a dog once bit it was small and just went under the car and didn't touch anything, which was a miracle. Then the owners had the gall to have a go at me while their dog was running around the street not on a leash. Fail.

gec
3rd June 2011, 03:43 PM
Ya need to add "Go back an get it for the Barby" on the poll :cheers:

the evil twin
3rd June 2011, 03:53 PM
Up around Nimbin I back up and run over the wildlife a couple more times just to make sure... In Canberra I'd swerve to hit it.

Everywhere else I take the humane path as best I safely can.

Quick war story... a few years ago, well, OK a lot of years ago now, up in Darwin I skittled a beaut looking Staffy. Turned around and went back and there it was laying motionless on the road. Another Car who stopped helped me throw an old blanket over it and wrap up the body.
The critter had a nice Collar but no tags so I was taking it to the tip which was only a few klicks away when at 80 KPH the "bundle" of dead dog and blanket on the back seat sprang to life and scared the bejeezus out of me.
Bloody thing was only unconcious and sprang up and did 20 laps around the interior while licking me to death till I had the composure to pull over. I must have only just clipped him with the car.
Took him to the RSPCA pound instead and went back a couple of days later to check if he was still there.
The Owners claimed him and were probably none the wiser of his adventures to this day. He was a beaut critter and I would have rescued him if noone claimed him (I'd already named him Casper as in the Ghost)

Maxhead
3rd June 2011, 07:20 PM
I would always go back to check what condition the animal is and put it out of it's misery if needed. If it was a roo with a joey I would throw the youngen in the truck for a feed....hmmmm. Best feed ever.

growler2058
3rd June 2011, 07:26 PM
Never knock back a bit of road pizza mmmmmm

Clunk
3rd June 2011, 07:31 PM
yummy yummy yummy there'll be roadkill in me tummy!!!!! Not actually hit anything yet but would have to turn back and work it out from there.

nowoolies
3rd June 2011, 07:32 PM
i come from the bush and have always carryed a firearm just in case, and also for getting tucker
have used it a couple of times, last one was the cow i hit about 17 months ago, glad i had it with me because i smashed her hips to pieces .

Finly Owner
3rd June 2011, 09:28 PM
A couple of stories to tell: Some of the locals will understand my delay in this first story.

I was driving from beenliegh to waterford once, and outside the retirement village "Palm Lake Resort", I noticed a large turtle/tortoise at the last minute and swirved to miss it, while doing 80km/h and no-one beside me. So I decided to take the next turn left and trace my way back around the back through bethania industrial park to come and save him from being road kill. Well I made around just in time to see a LOgan City bus aim from him dead on, and I was so p!ssed with myself I balled my eyes out, at the sight of a magnificent creature smashed by a ignorant B@STARD! He could of missed it easily, but he actually aimed for it.

Next one was a little more funny, I was going to work one morning, when I hit a pidgeon with the right rear view mirror in my commodore. Well I looked back and it was fluttering about, so I go back and pick it up. No blood so take him home to Dia, and tell her what I did with a tear in my eye, so she says she'll keep it quiet for the day. apparently I wouldn't have been 5 mins up the road and it did a burst of flutters and died. Being a bird keeper years ago I should have known to gas him, to be kinder, but I was feeling guilty I s'pose.

Then there was the time I was coming home one winter evening about 2 year ago, and I saw a deer run across in front of me on a left bend at Buccan, it scared the sh!t out of me. I told everyone and they all laughed and said that there was no deer around here! About two weeks later, there was a dead deer right where one ran in front of me. So I took a drive down a side road I'd never been down that afternoon, and found Deer Lane and at the end is a deer farm.

Tim

Tim

patrolpilot
4th March 2012, 01:50 AM
I always go back and finish the job then get it off the road

MudDonk
4th March 2012, 04:21 AM
have done alot of counrty driving with work in qld...hit a few animals always try to avoid but sometimes ya just cant do that safely. Always go back check them put out of misery or ring wildlife if look ok...That said one story i do have scared sh*t outta me lol...

was out the back of nowhere inland from emerald bout 2.5 - 3 hours...had a client (gov rep) in the car with me had to do about 1100klms for the day so was a big day, we were chattin away and they mentioned how i drove slow lmfao i was because they were in car...anyways put the foot in it bout hour later still motoring along came round a blind corner and there is a cow in the middle of the road OH *#@%, swerved just missed it inches at the most...went scrub dunno how but missed trees and everything pulled up about 150m in farmers paddock not a scratch PHEW, made sure gov chick was ok...got out of car lit smoke breathed deep lol

walkal
4th March 2012, 11:45 PM
Never hit anything as of yet, had a few close calls with cows on my way up to the kimberly.

Wayne

Finly Owner
5th March 2012, 12:31 AM
You all would be proud. Heading into Logan Village last Wednesday night approx 7:30pm, and passed a huge snake coiled on other side of road. Did a Uey, went back and pulled half of road just beforecrest of hil, protectingsnake. Turned on flashing roof light and hazards. Wentto check what sortof snake and injuies. Found a Carpet Snake as thick as my forearm, uninjured trying to strike passing vehicles. Went back to ute, got the ladder rack, and flicked (her) into the grass.

Anyway, I take off go down the road a bit to chuck another uey, and head back to Logan Village, when blow me down, there's a smaller snake on the road. So I pull over again, protecting the snake with the ute. Hop out and check for injuries, by touching him with the rack and he takes off into the grass.

Feeling good, chuck my uey, head to original destination, looking for more snakes, there and back . Good news, still haven't sen any skittled snake in that section so far. Oh yeah, the 2nd one was aamller carpet snake.

Tim

Silver
5th March 2012, 02:27 AM
You all would be proud. Heading into Logan Village last Wednesday night approx 7:30pm, and passed a huge snake coiled on other side of road. Did a Uey, went back and pulled half of road just beforecrest of hil, protectingsnake. Turned on flashing roof light and hazards. Wentto check what sortof snake and injuies. Found a Carpet Snake as thick as my forearm, uninjured trying to strike passing vehicles. Went back to ute, got the ladder rack, and flicked (her) into the grass.

Anyway, I take off go down the road a bit to chuck another uey, and head back to Logan Village, when blow me down, there's a smaller snake on the road. So I pull over again, protecting the snake with the ute. Hop out and check for injuries, by touching him with the rack and he takes off into the grass.

Feeling good, chuck my uey, head to original destination, looking for more snakes, there and back . Good news, still haven't sen any skittled snake in that section so far. Oh yeah, the 2nd one was aamller carpet snake.

Tim

Place was almost carpeted with them, Tim. Good work on moving them safely.

the ferret
5th March 2012, 03:37 AM
Skin it and chuck it in the camp oven with some spuds!!

(Im gunna regret this) But just got back from the Stevie Wonder concert in Margaret river, what a BLAST.
Cheers, the ferret.

Silver
5th March 2012, 05:22 AM
A mate made a comment to an unsuspected snake lover on Saturday.

Snake lover got very very toey and referred to huge fines for killing protected wild life etc, he apparently has quite a few living around his house including some nasty ones. Kind of got the impression he would be happier if the rest of us did the same.

oncedisturbed
5th March 2012, 11:11 AM

Snake lover got very very toey and referred to huge fines for killing protected wild life etc, he apparently has quite a few living around his house including some nasty ones. Kind of got the impression he would be happier if the rest of us did the same.

The Animal Welfare Act allows anyone to "Humanely euthanise" injured animals where no medical treatment is available. I am a volunteer shooter for DEC in WA and get called out all the time to put down injured roo's etc that have been hit by cars or mongrel's going out "bunny bashing" etc

Finly Owner
5th March 2012, 11:28 PM
Skin it and chuck it in the camp oven with some spuds!!

(Im gunna regret this) But just got back from the Stevie Wonder concert in Margaret river, what a BLAST.
Cheers, the ferret.Was he happy to see you?

Tim

Finly Owner
5th March 2012, 11:30 PM

a big Python in the rafters doe wonders to move visitors quickly!

Tim

Finly Owner
5th March 2012, 11:32 PM
All the more reason to rlax gun laws, so we can have a 22 in the rack and a box of ammo, for emergencies. But, a sharp axe/meschette/tomahawk does a humane job.

Tim

taslucas
6th March 2012, 08:05 AM
When my girlfriend started driving out to my place a couple of years ago, i told her not to ever swerve to miss an animal. We get heaps of wallabies, no big roos, and a cow on the road is very very rare. Slow down for sure, but never swerve.
Back in primary school, a mates mum swerved to miss a wallaby and rolled down a bank and landed in a dam. They had to get out of the car under water, Bugger that!!

On another note, hit a bunny one night, went back to pick him up. Unfortunately he was dead so we took him back to camp and ate him!

BROOZA
13th April 2012, 12:37 AM
I hit a possum not too long ago, 3:00 am in the middle of nowhere, turned around to check on it, and it had a baby in it's pouch.

The mother was all messed up (Missing a leg), so after standing there for a while, I decided to drop a rather large rock on it.

Seeems kinda mean, but better than it being eaten alive by a a fox or starving slowly over a few days.

oncedisturbed
13th April 2012, 05:09 PM
In WA, there is volunteer section from DEC ( environment and conservation) called Wildcare. They receive calls relating to this issue and the pass info to the co-ordinator who calls out volunteer Animal Control Agents who will check the animal and take to a vet / animal rehab centre or if needs be shoot it. Police are only to be used as a last resort over here if shire rangers etc are not available.

I have lost count how many times i have been called out by DEC for these scenarios. In every instance i have had to shoot the animal.

Finly Owner
13th April 2012, 10:48 PM
In WA, there is volunteer section from DEC ( environment and conservation) called Wildcare. They receive calls relating to this issue and the pass info to the co-ordinator who calls out volunteer Animal Control Agents who will check the animal and take to a vet / animal rehab centre or if needs be shoot it. Police are only to be used as a last resort over here if shire rangers etc are not available.

I have lost count how many times i have been called out by DEC for these scenarios. In every instance i have had to shoot the animal.Hence , the reason we should be allowd to own one rifle responsibly cared for, stored and used for hmane putting down injured animals in the bush.

Tim

megatexture
13th April 2012, 11:05 PM
I’ve hit a few roos on road trips 3 in one night was worst record but I’ve ticked the keep driving box only as it depends on the speed of the impact if I hit a animal at 90kmh and chunks fly:oops: I’m not going to turn around assuming its well and truly dead! But if I’ve hit at lower speeds I will go back to see if it’s alive/suffering and check its pouch. One time as the missus was in the car she didn’t want to know about it so i had to drive over its head with the trailer so she wouldn’t feel it! I’m just glad it’s not usually at lower speeds

Rustyboner81
21st August 2012, 04:34 PM
i've had a roo kill itself with my vehicle before.

at work out bush, we were using an old unused pit as our sourse of water for drilling operations.
we had to drive our HINO 4x4 truck down the washed out decline to turn on a generator and pump.
there was always dead goats and roos down there that had just jumped or fallen the 100m down to their doom.

the track was soo washed out we used to drive down it in high range, 1st gear with the exhaust brake on the whole way down.
well one time just before the bottom i came around the bend, really slowly remember when a group of roos got startled and bounded back up the decline.
one of them plowed head first straight into the roo bar.... "are you f**kin serious" i said out loud (i was by myself).
got out the truck and i couldnt belive it, Dead.... i plowed a giant rock into its head and threw it out the way.

i'll never forget that and it was about 6 years ago.

its the funniest thing being behind a road train that cleans up a big roo, head on... they get bashed up and killed but they come the back of it still looks like there running.

Winnie
21st August 2012, 04:50 PM
I've hit a few wallabies and roos, countless rabbits and possums too.

Don't bother to check on rabbits as there is no chance in hell it would survive (and let's be honest... they're just rabbits!), check possums for youngins. Had to put a couple of roos out of their misery and one time a wallaby managed to limp it's way into the scrub before I got to it so I don't know if that survived or not. Luckily none have ever had joeys.

What I cannot stand is people who hit wildlife and leave it in the middle of the road. I've gotta drive through a place called "birds gully" where the amount of wildlife crossing the 100km/h road is down right dangerous! Always at least 1 or 2 wombats or wallabies in the middle of the road that I have to pull off so some other poor driver doesn't hit it. There are a lot of dead foxes along the Strzelecki Highway that people continuously run over into a pulp.

If you kill an animal on the road please do the right thing and at least move it off the road!

MEGOMONSTER
21st August 2012, 04:57 PM
I have only killed a few possums but got really really close to killing a few Roos, the last one literally jumped over the bonnet.

Rustyboner81
21st August 2012, 05:28 PM
goldfields highway, anyone around kalgoorlie area will know,
if you dont pull your roadkill off into the bush you get wedge tailed eagles (wedgies) feeding on them
they get that full and heavy the only way they can take off is buy flying into the wind which alot of the time seems to be towards oncoming vehicles.
windscreens dont always deflect or kill them and the last thing you want is a p**sed off eagle in the cab with you. (or a roo for that matter) ive heard stories of truckies bailin out of movin roadttrains, just getting down as many gears as quick as possible and then jumpin.

can anyone confirm this?
also heard about wedgies exploding as they go through covering the drivers in rotten guts and maggots

threedogs
21st August 2012, 05:36 PM
Should also try to avoid road kill as the bones being green will certainly go through any tyre.

If off the beaten track I'll use road kill for yabby bait,
Leigh Creek do a great road kill stew its on their menu board'
but suspect its A grade beef

Bullmeister
5th November 2012, 11:58 AM
Be careful checking on injured/dead wildlife I have a great scar on my forearm from a roo that looked dead until I tried to look in it`s pouch!

janderson
5th November 2012, 06:32 PM
The police just shoot them anyway

89gqpatrol4x4
5th November 2012, 10:13 PM
hit roo once or rather it tried to stop my ute! Did a quick uturn and it was lying in the middle of the road with it's head up.. As an animal lover I didn't feel to great so after mustering up the courage I grabbed the pinch bar out or the tool box and walked over to the roo. I got no closer than about 3 meters when it hopped up and bounced off, what a relief!

P4trol
6th November 2012, 01:01 AM
Eagles can do a fair amount of damage.

Cane toads are just sport!

Tipsy-tap

the ferret
6th November 2012, 01:07 AM
Depends what it is and the how much damage, but yeah, straight inta the CAMP OVEN lol......................with some spuds!!
Cheers, the ferret

my third 256
6th November 2012, 09:09 AM
remember the beverly hillbillies granny loved road kill
the bucket hanging off the back of the truck
i hit a sheep at 70 mph on a motorbike broke my ancle

krbrooking
6th November 2012, 11:03 PM
I ticked the turn around and ring wild life only because if they have a chance of recovery ill take it, but depends what it is as well. If you know for sure it won't survive put it out of its misery.

Rayza
7th November 2012, 08:47 AM
A little while back i found a dog on the side of the road in mildura when visiting family. Some one had obviously done a "hit and run". It was pretty gutless, i wouldnt be very happy at all if some one hit my dog and didnt even have a big enough pair to give me a call. Lucky the poor bugger had already given up. Had to call the owner and wait till they got there. needless to say they were pretty upset...

Roos wombats and other things dont bother me too much but not someones dog...

i speed up when i see rabbits and foxes tho HAHA

Winnie
7th November 2012, 08:51 AM
A little while back i found a dog on the side of the road in mildura when visiting family. Some one had obviously done a "hit and run". It was pretty gutless, i wouldnt be very happy at all if some one hit my dog and didnt even have a big enough pair to give me a call. Lucky the poor bugger had already given up. Had to call the owner and wait till they got there. needless to say they were pretty upset...

Roos wombats and other things dont bother me too much but not someones dog...

i speed up when i see rabbits and foxes tho HAHA

That happened to my dog. He had my phone number on his collar too. You're right it is gutless.

DIAL-A-TAP

BigRAWesty
7th November 2012, 09:14 AM
Never nice to hit wildlife but if it's a snake or fox I aim..

From experience, dodge wombats and emus..
Wombats will stop you in your tracks as they are a solid little moving brick pile..
And emus are a big ball of fluffy feathers which will block your radiator up quick as.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Winnie
7th November 2012, 06:16 PM
Two weekends ago I was in a mate's Lancer at night and he hit a wombat, was a big sucker too. Unfortunately didn't kill it so I had to put it out of it's misery. Not a single bit of damage to the Lancer at all.

threedogs
7th November 2012, 06:26 PM
X 2 with Bob never swerve Especially if towing on a dirt road, If unavoidable apply brakes and just before inpact release brakes.
Never ever travel dawn ar Dust unless youre a moron. There are rules for outback driving and they are there for a reason, TOO
SAVE LIVES ,Don't be a hero as NO one Looks at DEAD idiot head stones. Depending on conditions I'd wrap it up and take it to next Wires Clinic

choppie
11th November 2012, 03:33 PM
Have hit quite a bit of wild life in trucks and fortunately they don't survive, except a big wedge tail which flew back into my truck and as there were other truck coming both ways and no shoulder I couldn't pull up and felt sick in the guts because I love the eagles. I also hit a family of Emu's passing a stock truck with 2 trailers, old man emu lead 5 chicks across the road but one decided to go back so they all went, dust and feathers every where, the old man bounced of my bullbar straight into the stock truck and I got all the chicks, no orphans. Know a truck drive who pulled up to help a Koala one night and ended up in hospital with his arms torn to shreds, so you must be careful when trying to help.

Winnie
11th November 2012, 03:49 PM
Funny you mention that just last night my mate got scratched trying to help a possum with a baby.

DIAL-A-TAP

P4trol
15th November 2012, 01:39 AM
Never ever travel dawn ar Dust
The amount of wildlife on the road seems to change with season, amount of rain, and moon phase. And tiredness levels. Totally didn't see a donkey right beside the road one night.

Tipsy-tap

The BigFella
15th November 2012, 06:30 AM
I learnt very early in my driving career never swerve or deviate for an animal on the road if by doing do places YOU in an accident of incident.
With the amount of k's I drive it's inevitable I'm going to encounter live stock or native animals on the road.
I have hit sheep, roo's, wombats, pigs, emu's and the odd bird here and there and although I hate myself for not stopping, its just not practical.
Most if not all are dead moments after you hit them, I have never grazed one they always seem to be lined up dead middle of the bullbar for some reason.
How many times have you started to steer away (not swerve) from an animal to have to dopey mongrel turn around and head straight back the way it came,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last month I was travelling down through Qld around 2.00am and a truck driver called me up and told to be careful of a "White Bull" on the side of the road,,,,,,,,,,,,wtf I thought.
This guy must be on some serious drugs, sure enough around the bend and there standing on the left side verge was a huge Brahman Bull, as white as snow!
Just standing there watching the traffic pass bye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when the truckie called me up and asked if he was still there, I said "what bull' your dreaming dude!

Cant be too careful, however you need to evaluate the possible harm to you and yours before moving that steering wheel.
Youre initial response should always be slowing the vehicle down, regardless of what your driving, in a safe manner.

Stay safe dudes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The BigFella
15th November 2012, 06:31 AM
I learnt very early in my driving career never swerve or deviate for an animal on the road if by doing do places YOU in an accident of incident.
With the amount of k's I drive it's inevitable I'm going to encounter live stock or native animals on the road.
I have hit sheep, roo's, wombats, pigs, emu's and the odd bird here and there and although I hate myself for not stopping, its just not practical.
Most if not all are dead moments after you hit them, I have never grazed one they always seem to be lined up dead middle of the bullbar for some reason.
How many times have you started to steer away (not swerve) from an animal to have to dopey mongrel turn around and head straight back the way it came,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last month I was travelling down through Qld around 2.00am and a truck driver called me up and told to be careful of a "White Bull" on the side of the road,,,,,,,,,,,,wtf I thought.
This guy must be on some serious drugs, sure enough around the bend and there standing on the left side verge was a huge Brahman Bull, as white as snow!
Just standing there watching the traffic pass bye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when the truckie called me up and asked if he was still there, I said "what bull' your dreaming dude!

Cant be too careful, however you need to evaluate the possible harm to you and yours before moving that steering wheel.
Youre initial response should always be slowing the vehicle down, regardless of what your driving, in a safe manner.

Stay safe dudes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

brisz
28th December 2012, 10:30 PM
Depends what it is, I would be upset if I got a wombat, but not so much a roo, only ever had to dispatch a rabbit. :P

93patrol
29th December 2012, 12:08 AM
I always go back and finish the job then get it off the road

I carry a hammer in my car for this reason. I have hit a few roos. If they have a broken leg you pick up their tail so they don't try to stand stick your foot on their throat and a nice hard whack to the base of the skull normally does the trick. Then drag them off the road.

What gives me the sh!ts is people who hit them and just drive off and let someone else deal with it.

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

93patrol
29th December 2012, 12:10 AM
I have seen an emu get hit by a common door and its head went clean through the bonnet. Neck acted like a whip. It was quite a site and to be honest a little bit funny.

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Jacket_1985
5th January 2013, 11:42 PM
I live in the sticks. . . so often see animals hit, or hit them myself.

I assume we arent talking about magpies here. for them i just keep driving. if its a wombat/roo/wallabie/deer etc, different story.
Being a country boy, I jump out and shoot it or knife it, and throw it in the boot as food for the dog. or if its a deer, eat it myself.
Dog loves eating roo's/wallabie's. if its a deer thats hit, they often break their pelvis, and its a long slow death from there. ill always shoot a deer thats been hit, regardless if it "looks OK"

Rip'n'Shred
6th January 2013, 12:27 AM
Agree with jacket, unfortunately not enough deer around here though. Nothing like fresh venison.

leadsled
6th May 2013, 01:41 AM
Hit a dog one night coming along the western freeway(Brisbane). The mess left on my patrol was massive . Police had a fairly good look when they came past.

pascal1
13th June 2013, 04:50 PM
I drove thousands of kms in central Australia this month and saw lots of killed kangaroos, some foxes and a cat, even some big stock in remote areas. Nobody seems to care for retrieving them from the road or track, so they remain dangerous obstacles for a while until flatten out enough. They also attract big eagles which are pretty picturesques. I think small vehicule owners may stop and move the corpse out of the way (that I would do), so they just decay on the edge, but big trucks won't afford that and would keep rolling or if they manage to stop hundreds of meters further, it would be to check their mechanics only.

threedogs
13th June 2013, 06:19 PM
Driving up Ivanhoe way we hit I kid you not 20 owls, 12 foxes, 2 roo and 2 sheep on the space of 2 hrs.
The owls were sitting on the white posts, startled mice /rabbits ran on road when we approached
Owls swooped to get them POW. Same with FoXes, Sheep in wrong place at wrong time

Cuppa
13th June 2013, 06:43 PM
I always stop to check on the welbeing or otherwise of the animal.
The one occasion I didn't was when I had hit somethng without realising, when driving our bus between Tenterfield & Casino. We had stopped for a cuppa by the side of the road a few kms before Casino & I noticed fresh blood & flesh splattered underneath the bus for virtually it's full length. It had even sprayed up through an air vent on the step, through to the interior. As we were discussing what had happened & how it could have happened without us being aware of it, a cop car passed, stopped a few hundred metres down the road & did a 'U'ey. As he did so, my wife, quick witted as ever, commented 'maybe it was a person & the cops are looking for you'. Within moments the cop car had passed us again & disappeared up the road, but she had me going briefly! Took a lot of dollar coins at the wash bay in Casino to get rid of the 'evidence, which by then was getting a bit 'on the nose.

Cuppa

Bloodyaussie
13th June 2013, 06:47 PM
I always stop to check on the welbeing or otherwise of the animal.
The one occasion I didn't was when I had hit somethng without realising, when driving our bus between Tenterfield & Casino. We had stopped for a cuppa by the side of the road a few kms before Casino & I noticed fresh blood & flesh splattered underneath the bus for virtually it's full length. It had even sprayed up through an air vent on the step, through to the interior. As we were discussing what had happened & how it could have happened without us being aware of it, a cop car passed, stopped a few hundred metres down the road & did a 'U'ey. As he did so, my wife, quick witted as ever, commented 'maybe it was a person & the cops are looking for you'. Within moments the cop car had passed us again & disappeared up the road, but she had me going briefly! Took a lot of dollar coins at the wash bay in Casino to get rid of the 'evidence, which by then was getting a bit 'on the nose.

Cuppa

That would have been funny!!!!!!! great sense of humour your wife has Ian.

fracster
21st June 2013, 12:17 AM
Depends what it is, if edible, I skin it, gut it ,butcher it and take it home.

TPC
21st June 2013, 12:24 AM
Depends what it is, if edible, I skin it, gut it ,butcher it and take it home.

You should move over here, endless supply of Roo road kill and they are great eating.

Alitis007
21st June 2013, 12:46 AM
I wish them all the best with their recovery ;)

krbrooking
21st June 2013, 03:30 AM
I wish them all the best with their recovery ;)

Now was he in the process of taking that to his mate when you ran him down?????

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Alitis007
21st June 2013, 08:23 AM
Now was he in the process of taking that to his mate when you ran him down?????

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Nah, it was after he thought he was superman i went to the shops and got him that and some chocolates but i ate the chocolates on the way back :)

patrolmq
21st June 2013, 04:04 PM
I haven't hit anything yet and as I mostly drive my Falcon I hope not to. But when the ring road is bad, I do sometimes go through the country around the top of Melbourne Airport. So, with the stuff you usually have inside a commuter car (wheel brace?), how would you suggest I humanely kill the animal? Also it would no doubt be in front of other road users going past, am I going to get reported?

BigRAWesty
21st June 2013, 06:08 PM
Reported??? I doubt it.. most city people (non of you guys obviously) drive around with there head so far up their ..... you'll be lucky if you don't get hit... :rolleyes:

But you do bring a good point? I wouldn't call flogging it with a tire lever humane.. so what do you do?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

graeme1969
21st June 2013, 06:16 PM
It is something that could be an difficult situation if the wrong person saw it. I have no doubt that there are alot of people out there who would think that the correct thing to do was to seek assistance for the injured animal e.g. vet. I think the action you take would need to be suited to the location and circumstances.

Having said that I can't help think of the scene from the movie Me, Myself and Irene where Jim Carey makes several attempts to bump off a cow which was laying injured on the road.

P4trol
21st June 2013, 06:22 PM
I drove thousands of kms in central Australia this month and saw lots of killed kangaroos, some foxes and a cat, even some big stock in remote areas. Nobody seems to care for retrieving them from the road or track, so they remain dangerous obstacles for a while until flatten out enough. They also attract big eagles which are pretty picturesques. I think small vehicule owners may stop and move the corpse out of the way (that I would do), so they just decay on the edge, but big trucks won't afford that and would keep rolling or if they manage to stop hundreds of meters further, it would be to check their mechanics only.

Depending where it is, they decay/get eaten pretty quick.

I can pledge a photo a day, starting with a fresh wallaby, new photo each day for the next 7. Your choice if you want him left on the road or dragged onto the side to eliminate being run over again.

I don't mean to be 'disgusting', but it isn't that people don't care. It is just way too much work to move and bury. each and every dead animal.

ChrisN
21st June 2013, 06:27 PM
In near-forty years of driving I've hit and killed three 'roos. The first was dead from the impact. The second needed to be dispatched with a shovel (and the hairless joey was given the same). The third was sitting in the middle of the track with a broken leg, and that sad confused look on its face when I walked back to it (my imagination of course). That one was killed with a solid blow to the head with a mattock handle (probably the best tool for the job, and best done quickly while the animal is in shock).

I now have a set of Shu-Roo on the car, and haven't hit an animal since. There have been a few close calls though, so I'm not suggesting they are the perfect solution.

gmoneeeee
26th June 2013, 08:15 PM
Snuff the poor thing out if it isn't going to make it. If its an animal that is tastey table fair and it isn't too mangled throw it in the back and take it home and butcher that thing up for a fine meal.

TheLocksmith
26th June 2013, 09:14 PM
I stop for every dead animal. Will roll it over and check pouch. If its suffering will cuts it throat.

Saved 1 wombat one day, took it to the vets but the young wombat had a broken front leg do they put it down.

Xfactor
27th June 2013, 08:00 PM
going from Cooma to Bombala to Caan river hit a roo at 80kmh, no chance to miss, up embankment and down centre of lane doing 115 kmh ... brakes hard, bang bump and knocks under car, wife looks back and states its moving, reverse gear over said animal and drag off road down embankment = short amount of suffering with multiple broken bones "compound" fractures = all in space of 1 minute ... lived in "snowies" for 20yrs and first animal hit, had to dispatch numerous "road kill" but not dead over the years.
usually carry a 14lb hammer handle in car for such events and a big sharp "bowie" too
Cheers

AB
27th June 2013, 08:04 PM
As bad as this sounds I keep a big wrench in the car which does work a treat for instant miseryputerouterar tool....lol

Barndillo
30th November 2013, 03:10 PM
Back over it and make sure it's dead!!!

FNQGU
30th November 2013, 03:47 PM
Ran over a very large Western Taipan one trip out near Georgetown. Felt like driving over a 6" water pipe. Anyway, I stopped 50 meters down the road and very cautiously walked back when the dust had cleared, with the .22 in hand. Couldn't see it anywhere. The grass on the verge was reasonably short, but I made the assumption it had bolted into the grass in the direction it was originally travelling, and was closer to. I was getting closer to the area where I thought it had been when my mate yelled out that it was coming out of the grass behind me (other side of the road). Got the fright of my life! It was pissed off big time and ready to have a go. I decided it was fine to continue with life and backed off rather hastily. No shots fired…and probably wouldn't have been able to hit a thing the way my heart was going.

Stopping to check on snakes (or wombats, roo's, etc.) can be a hazardous business.

threedogs
30th November 2013, 03:56 PM
Most times when you run over snakes they get hooked up in your running gear under the car/4x4.
Was a passenger in a ute heading back to Alice when a large king brown wiggled in front of us.
The driver being a local stomped on the brakes and cut snake in 2. he jumped out of the drivers
side to whack it on the head with a shovel when the front half started to attack him lmfao big time
safe inside the cabin.

BeK similar thing happened at cape York with a13ft python in the night, mate was
looking for it with a 4/10 when we turned the lights off RLMARO big time, still chuckle now. snake lived mate shat lol