PDA

View Full Version : tb42 turbo 600 horsepower

gus
3rd June 2011, 01:11 AM
hi every one i am loocking to put a turbo kit on my tb42 petrol engine .there is someone in australia ( quick spool ) that is advertising for a turbo kit for 3999$ that will give you 480horsepower or 600 horse power any one have seen or experienced what i am talking about ?

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 05:49 AM
There are a few turbo kits available but attempting to get any more than about 350hp out of an otherwise standard engine will shorten the life of the engine dramatically. I would be factoring in another $10,000 for a complete engine rebuild with stronger internals if 480 to 600hp is your aim.

We have competition Patrols here in Oz with turbo TB48 engines putting out in excess of 600hp but the engines are fully modified not just turboed.

Tony

Timbo
3rd June 2011, 07:54 AM
There are a few turbo kits available but attempting to get any more than about 350hp out of an otherwise standard engine will shorten the life of the engine dramatically. I would be factoring in another $10,000 for a complete engine rebuild with stronger internals if 480 to 600hp is your aim.

We have competition Patrols here in Oz with turbo TB48 engines putting out in excess of 600hp but the engines are fully modified not just turboed.

Tony

As usual, Tony is spot on. I can't see a stock 4.2 petrol making 447kw's or 600hp by simply bolting on a turbo kit, no matter how big. Something will break.

The Nissan RB30DET can make up to (and probably well over) 350kw on a stock motor with a turbo swap and a 3" exhaust. They are just engineered so well. I've seen them run 10 second 1/4mile passes with stock motors with a larger turbo, 3" exhaust, intercooler and aftermarket computer. If you were after power, I'd rather buy an RB30det motor for the GQ.. plenty of people do it, and it'll be cheaper.

Then there's the 4.8 in the GU which is a power house in itself compared to all the other motors.. and then people slap a turbo on them and walk all over lamborgini's.. but I reckon the lambo has twice as good fuel economy.

gus
5th June 2011, 02:19 AM
thks for the reply guys but the guy at quick spool is talking about overhauling the hole engine i now that standard engine wont take the power i am just asking if someone has gone this way.the diesel engine are not allowed here in lebanon ,and the tb48 is a little hard to find and even this engine will be needing upgrade and overhaul they do have kits for it in dubai but i dont want to go in the wiring stuff ,this is the car i am preparing for a customer.

growler2058
5th June 2011, 05:17 AM
Bloody awesome mate that is one mega tuff lookin troll

Bigrig
5th June 2011, 06:47 AM
Bloody awesome mate that is one mega tuff lookin troll

X2. What a unit!!! Amazing what a massive set of boots does!!!

growler2058
5th June 2011, 06:51 AM
Reckon you'd want 600 neddies to get the most outa those bags

Bigrig
5th June 2011, 06:55 AM
Reckon you'd want 600 neddies to get the most outa those bags

Needs em to get it rolling!! LOL

I love Lebanon's leniency regarding lifts already!!! Here we are debating the topic, and they can have that bad boy roaming the city streets .. outstanding!!! lol

Ben-e-boy
5th June 2011, 09:01 AM
hi every one i am loocking to put a turbo kit on my tb42 petrol engine .there is someone in australia ( quick spool ) that is advertising for a turbo kit for 3999$ that will give you 480horsepower or 600 horse power any one have seen or experienced what i am talking about ?

G'day mate If it was me looking for 600hp out of a tb42 I would do the following
Balance the crank
aftermarket conrods
lower compession pistons
heavily port the head
oversize valves
custom intake plenum
match port the intake and exhaust manifolds
aftermarket cam
bigger injectors and fuel rails and fuel pump
big intercooler and radiator

the above mods are big $$$$$
the biggest thing going for the tb42 is that the bolck is the same as the td42 so it can handle lots of pressure (you would decompress yours to about 7 or 8 to 1 and a N/A td42 has a compression ratio of 22.7:1)

I really hope you achieve this kind of power.
it can be done My old flatmate has 4.5L petreol 80 series landcruiser ( i know its a toyota) with 750 hp at the flywheel its a mean machine and all of the above mods (and more) have been done.

good luck with that!!!!
Cheers
Benny

Woof
5th June 2011, 05:10 PM
Do you really want / need that much horsepower, drop a turbo on it (don't wind the boost up too far) and just see what difference it makes.
If you have got money to burn then go all out with mods to the motor first.

Ben-e-boy
5th June 2011, 07:04 PM
G'day mate If it was me looking for 600hp out of a tb42 I would do the following
Balance the crank
aftermarket conrods
lower compession pistons
heavily port the head
oversize valves
custom intake plenum
match port the intake and exhaust manifolds
aftermarket cam
bigger injectors and fuel rails and fuel pump
big intercooler and radiator

the above mods are big $$$$$
the biggest thing going for the tb42 is that the bolck is the same as the td42 so it can handle lots of pressure (you would decompress yours to about 7 or 8 to 1 and a N/A td42 has a compression ratio of 22.7:1)

I really hope you achieve this kind of power.
it can be done My old flatmate has 4.5L petreol 80 series landcruiser ( i know its a toyota) with 750 hp at the flywheel its a mean machine and all of the above mods (and more) have been done.

good luck with that!!!!
Cheers
Benny

would a standard gearbox handle that kind of power???? tony do you know.

refering back to my mates toyota (sorry) once he started making over 550hp the gearbox will regularly poo itself..He is on the 8th gearbox atm

gus
12th June 2011, 03:46 AM
thks guys will think it thru

YNOT
12th June 2011, 07:29 AM
would a standard gearbox handle that kind of power???? tony do you know.

refering back to my mates toyota (sorry) once he started making over 550hp the gearbox will regularly poo itself..He is on the 8th gearbox atm

A standard gearbox in good condition will handle it no problem. If you look at the trucks that competed in the Outback Challenge there were Nissan Patrols with turbo TB48's and supercharged 6 litre chevs putting out in excess of 600hp through Nissan manual gearboxes. In the last OBC some of the teams had switch to modified Nissan auto gearboxes which were also able to handle the power.

Is your mates Toyota a 80 or 100 series Cruiser? If it is I'm not surprised he's going through gearboxes (and probably front diffs as well), they're just not as strong as Nissan Patrols in the driveline.

Tony