PDA

View Full Version : Registration Exempt trailer with a slide on camper

rusty_nail
12th March 2019, 06:10 PM
Hi guys,

Has anyone had experience with using a registration exempt trailer with a slide on camper on it?

I currently have a trailer that classifies for rego exemption and I have a slide on/bolt on camper which can be fitted to the top.

I have had a look on Vic roads website and the only restrictions are as follows:

trailers (other than trailers specifically built to carry a boat) that are not used in the course of trade and:

weigh less than 200 kilograms empty

are not wider than the vehicle towing it

are not more than 3 metres long including the drawbar and any load on the trailer

My trailer unladen does not weigh 200kgs, but when I attach the camper to it, it would exceed this amount. Because the camper is mounted on would this technically become part of the unladen weight? Or could it be classified as a load on the trailer.

Any thoughts and experience on this would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clunk
12th March 2019, 06:32 PM
Suck it up and pay the rego you tight arse [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji39]

rusty_nail
12th March 2019, 06:34 PM
Suck it up and pay the rego you tight arse [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji39]Come one mate! I'm a poor apprentice! Can't afford it lol

PeeBee
12th March 2019, 06:37 PM
Nic, I dont know the answer however by default would get a determination from Vicroads as interpretation incorrectly may leave you exposed from an insurance perspective also if the trailer is unregistered.

rusty_nail
12th March 2019, 06:43 PM
Thanks mate I'll look into it. Looks like rego cost is only $59 which isn't so bad, I guess I would need to get it over the pits and just go through the process

PeeBee
12th March 2019, 06:51 PM
I registered a home made trailer with Vicroads and its not a big deal. They check the normal roadworthy stuff like lights, mudguards, tyres and it must have a VIN or whatever the corresponding number is for a trailer. They gave me the number first, them I had to get it stamped onto the frame, then represented it, rubber stamp job really. Long as its looks safe and isnt a bucket of rust you should be ok, remember it will need a number plate most likely so make sure the number plate light works - they check!

rusty_nail
12th March 2019, 07:00 PM
It's currently registered in NSW, but is in my dad's name. Not a big deal to leave it in his name either, I can just continue to pay the rego

mudnut
12th March 2019, 07:53 PM
If it weighs over 750kgs loaded it will need to have brakes too.

MB
12th March 2019, 08:00 PM
Towing very similar, yet same same, is a bad once off fee in convoy idea :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
12th March 2019, 08:20 PM

You've done it again! WTF does this really mean?

rusty_nail
12th March 2019, 08:21 PM

You've done it again! WTF does this really mean?

I concur. i have no idea what this is meant to mean lol

MB
12th March 2019, 08:30 PM
Spare plates are relatively cheap, just don’t do it within Cooee Rup township:-(

Ben-e-boy
12th March 2019, 08:54 PM
Come one mate! I'm a poor apprentice! Can't afford it lol

What are apprenticing as?

PeeBee
12th March 2019, 09:03 PM
Spare plates are relatively cheap, just don’t do it within Cooee Rup township:-(

Asparagus soup is fine also but not with tangerine tablecloth ::/);?(/-@))

MB
12th March 2019, 09:07 PM
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/new-registration/register-a-trailer-or-caravan

rusty_nail
12th March 2019, 09:09 PM
What are apprenticing as?Changed career a few years ago mate, I'm currently a second year apprentice joiner. Changed jobs today to actually get taught the trade properly, to an $8 pay cut for it but amongst other things I'll be home alot more to see my daughter grow up.