PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs keep failing

dragonslayer
1st June 2011, 03:55 PM
ok i have replaced the glow plugs on the rd28t gq and also the 2 relays and then the other day the glow plug light came on then stay on flashing till the car is warm about 5 mins what cause this to happen cause has happened twice already also throws heaps of smoke greyish colour and smells of diesel
cheers cris

YNOT
1st June 2011, 05:42 PM
Have you checked with a multimeter to see if there is power getting to the glow plugs?

Tony

dragonslayer
5th June 2011, 09:24 AM
was getting power along bridge i think the problem was that the nuts on the glow plug were not tight enough the second time around but it still blows a bit of grey smome on start up ?

Ben-e-boy
5th June 2011, 10:36 AM
was getting power along bridge i think the problem was that the nuts on the glow plug were not tight enough the second time around but it still blows a bit of grey smome on start up ?

if that is the case mate I would take off the nuts and bus bar and give them a good clean. If the nuts were loose its possible you have a high resistance jiont

Cheers
Benny

Finly Owner
5th June 2011, 09:15 PM
was getting power along bridge i think the problem was that the nuts on the glow plug were not tight enough the second time around but it still blows a bit of grey smome on start up ?Do you have smoke any other time?

Tim

dragonslayer
6th June 2011, 06:12 AM
no only on start up eary morning there is heaps of smoke then when i leave work in the afternoon ther is only a small amount but no smoke any other time it due for a service so i check again after the service

Finly Owner
6th June 2011, 11:45 PM
I'd say either unburnt diesel or valve guide seals are gone.

Tim

vbowste1
22nd June 2011, 09:30 PM
Hi Cris You may find this interesting, I bought a ST 2.8 turbo 1996 model a little while ago and the guy i bought it of showed me all the reciets for what he had done to it over the ten years he had the car.
The most recent thing he had done was put new glow plugs in the car.
About a fortnight after i took it home the glow plugs failed and i burnt out the fuse wire for the glow and the relays and the light on the dash was doing the same as what you have mentioned, so i took it to a good auto electrician i know and he had the car for 4days trying to solve why it had happened and he discovered that the RD28 has a two stage glow system that gets very hot.
he also talked to some other elecs who had come across the same problem and the same result came up every time if the glow plugs are after market you will have nothing but problems, but if you put genuine nissan plugs in the problems go away.
Only problem is the Nissan plugs are not cheep as i recall they where around $560 but well worth it.

Finly Owner
22nd June 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi Cris You may find this interesting, I bought a ST 2.8 turbo 1996 model a little while ago and the guy i bought it of showed me all the reciets for what he had done to it over the ten years he had the car.
The most recent thing he had done was put new glow plugs in the car.
About a fortnight after i took it home the glow plugs failed and i burnt out the fuse wire for the glow and the relays and the light on the dash was doing the same as what you have mentioned, so i took it to a good auto electrician i know and he had the car for 4days trying to solve why it had happened and he discovered that the RD28 has a two stage glow system that gets very hot.
he also talked to some other elecs who had come across the same problem and the same result came up every time if the glow plugs are after market you will have nothing but problems, but if you put genuine nissan plugs in the problems go away.
Only problem is the Nissan plugs are not cheep as i recall they where around $560 but well worth it.

Agreed!

Tim