PDA

View Full Version : help with lcd roof mount install

beansathome
1st June 2011, 12:25 AM
i bought a 11 inch lcd and a double din dvd player for the patroll the other day but not sure on best way to install with least amount of damage to the roof lining but im not sure if where the light mounts in the center of the roof will suport it safley or not.

Clunk
1st June 2011, 12:29 AM
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that where the centre light mounts is where these sorts of consoles are installed, should hold the weight ok.................. I'm sure someone will be along with a bit more advise for you mate.

beansathome
1st June 2011, 12:33 AM
i was thinking it might b ok but i was going to weld up a braket to be sure and get that into the roof

Bigrig
1st June 2011, 10:16 AM
i was thinking it might b ok but i was going to weld up a braket to be sure and get that into the roof

G'day boss!! Long time no speak!!

Yeah mate - I would be rigging something up to hold it - those centre mounts are on with two screws, and the last thing you'd want is the unit to come crashing down when the rig is taking a battering (even something like corrugation would kill it I reckon).

Good luck and throw up some snaps of the process if you can!!

Bob
1st June 2011, 10:18 AM
Ther are some very good metal glue's around today which might do the job. It would be permanent though

TheFlyingBadger
1st June 2011, 10:24 AM
I fitted one to mine a couple of months ago, Found the info here: patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/where-internal-roof-bars-dvd-install-21398/

NOTE: DIRECT LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO PATROL4X4's VIRUS PROBLEMS, ENTERING THE ABOVE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

KIND REGARDS

FORUM MANAGEMENT

katwoman
1st June 2011, 10:28 AM
Mine came like this, so don't know how it's held.
Don't know if this helps.

04OFF
1st June 2011, 12:49 PM
Ha-ha, if thats a 10" version Kat, thats the exact same screen i was going to put in mine, went with portable ones instead ,so mine now lives in a box in the garage.

Another install way if you find you have few options....

If you have no bracing to attach the screen where you want to, you can cut a square out of the roof lining about 10mm smaller than the screen base, then cut a panel of 12mm MDF to fit inside the hole, liquid nails this to the metal roof panel, leave overnight to set, and then screw the screen up into the MDF.(or drop roof lining and do same if you dont want a big hole)

Sounds ruff when you first think about it, and means you sell the screen with the car, but in reality it will never fall down on a kids head, and gives a perfect flat surface to mount to.

Silver
1st June 2011, 06:09 PM
I dunno if this is right or not, but reliable maintenance type mate said they tested liquid nails years ago, and it had a service life of a few years. Must depend on conditions because there would be thousands of square ks of gyprock held on with the stuff!

My GQ roof console attaches to those light screws, and also to the mirror mount GQs have above the screen, It is light ply and vinyl, holds a UHF, 27mg, and an equaliser.

beansathome
1st June 2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the reply guys I think ill have a look at what is under the light when I get the chanvce. If here is bracing there ill weld on a couple of nuts and make a bracket out of 2 mm plate won't need to be 2 big. Won't know till I look. But I'm not looking foward to taking the roof lining out to run cables

molongmick
1st June 2011, 07:45 PM
Hi, I had mine installed by a so called professionsal, but had to fix up the wiring.

It is held on very tightly by two screws, one which lines up with the existing hole from the light, the other is a self tapping screw. None of the screws go through the roof lining. the unit is firm and does not wobble or move. I have driven on some serious corregated road and all is fine with the unit.

I ran a seperate power supply from the second battery to the unit, across the roof lining, and down the passanger pillar, under the door trim through the firwall.

The light supply comes from the wire, but the switch wire is still the existing wire from the genuine light.

A word of caution, the lights when installed would work when the door was closed, but turn off when the door was opened, which I think means that it was positively earthed. There was a switch which reversed the polarity and the lights worked fine. Just something to keep in mind.

But to answer your question, the metal plate screwed into the roof support/beam works fine.

Silver
1st June 2011, 07:47 PM
take it to auto leccie to run cables, they have all sorts of clever ideas, experience and tools

04OFF
1st June 2011, 07:51 PM
I dunno if this is right or not, but reliable maintenance type mate said they tested liquid nails years ago, and it had a service life of a few years. Must depend on conditions because there would be thousands of square ks of gyprock held on with the stuff.

Ive used liquid nails on many things over the years and its amazed me.

One time, i stuck some house bricks together with it and stuck them on the concrete slab (when building my Home Cinema room),later, i found i needed to remove a couple off the slab.

I had to get 12lb sledge hammer to eventually move the bricks, to my surprise, it ripped up half an inch of my concrete slab (still stuck to the bricks), im like WTF !, the liquid nails held that good (the bricks i removed are still stuck just as firm over 12 years later)

I also use Sikaflex a lot, and liquid nails would be even stronger on a metal to timber (MDF) bond, try it ,use it to stick some flat metal plate to a bit of MDF, allow to cure as per instructions, then try get them apart any way you can, i bet the liquid nails will be the last of the three components to break ,bend or let go !

04OFF
1st June 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm not looking foward to taking the roof lining out to run cables

Don't remove hood lining , remove the vertical side panel (the long plastic trim that hides the drivers seat belt retractor) then when you remove the interior light, the roof lining will allow enough room (with aid of a straightend out coat hanger) to feed all the wires over to the side (where you now have a gap) above the seat belt area, from there its easy as.

beansathome
1st June 2011, 08:10 PM
I like sikaflex glues everything I love the stuff.

I would love to take it to a auto elect but I'm a right arse and do it on my own.
Just like my dvd headunit no way was I paying 80 for something that took me 40 mins 2 install lol 10th mins of that was installing the headunit

beansathome
1st June 2011, 08:16 PM
I was hoping there was enough room in the lining to pass the cables threw so don't wana pull the. roof down

molongmick
1st June 2011, 08:24 PM
I was hoping there was enough room in the lining to pass the cables threw so don't wana pull the. roof down

I just pushed a stiff wire through with a sting attached from the light to the pillar, which I then used to pull the power supply cable through.

The roof lining does not need to be taken off to install the mounting plate.

TheFlyingBadger
1st June 2011, 11:52 PM
i've got one of those bendy plastic pole things that the sparkies use in cavity walls, i just taped the wire onto the end then fed it through from the top of the A pillar through to the hole in the roof.

Silver
2nd June 2011, 11:26 PM
i've got one of those bendy plastic pole things that the sparkies use in cavity walls, i just taped the wire onto the end then fed it through from the top of the A pillar through to the hole in the roof.

In bigger spaces the tongue in yellow tongue flooring makes a nice sneaky pete to get wires here and there, not sure it would go into the A pillar :-)

The auto leccie supplied Bob (of Bob and Doreen fame from LCMP thread) with three core wire to run up to the roof, an earth, an always on, and an ignition on. Neat.

beansathome
3rd June 2011, 10:14 PM
ok wireing is in used a wire coat hanger to pull it threw. going to get some 10 mm steel bar and make a 2 braces that runn along the back of the screen held on by 6 self tappers. will end up being prety stable when im finished. thanks for the ideas. im suprised at the amount of steel thats round the light will b a good fittng point

molongmick
4th June 2011, 08:01 AM
ok wireing is in used a wire coat hanger to pull it threw. going to get some 10 mm steel bar and make a 2 braces that runn along the back of the screen held on by 6 self tappers. will end up being prety stable when im finished. thanks for the ideas. im suprised at the amount of steel thats round the light will b a good fittng point

Hey Mate, I've got the exact same unit as yours, two screws into the metal bracket in the roof space where the light sits is enough. The unit is as solid as, doesn't wobble or move. Just a word of advice, wrap some thin cloth or foam around the RCA plugs when leaving them in the unit, as it will rattle and anoy the sh!t out you.

beansathome
5th June 2011, 03:26 PM
ok an update all installed i secured with 3 screws there is alot of soled mounting area up there just used some self tappers but found that i neede some more suport because i mounted it towards the front of the screen so as the screen was further towards the front just seems like its easwer 2 watch so that made some flex towards the back instead.

the sulotion i cam up with was to weld up a squar outa some flat bar i have luying round to make the frame more ridged and stop the back from saging. works great but i just gota get some sorta black trim to fill the gap between the screen and the roof also swaped the video in and the vidio out around so as the plugs that lead to the roof are the ones that recive video rather then send.

i have managed to not have 2 put any screws there the roof so i can remove with out leaving any damage to the roof lining.

no i gota find the handbrake line and reverse light line so i can hook in the reverse camera and hand break switch for the headunit.

Hey Mate, I've got the exact same unit as yours, two screws into the metal bracket in the roof space where the light sits is enough. The unit is as solid as, doesn't wobble or move. Just a word of advice, wrap some thin cloth or foam around the RCA plugs when leaving them in the unit, as it will rattle and anoy the sh!t out you.

did u fing the mounting screwws for the screen to the mounting plate where miles 2 long ? i havent put anything in to stop the viabration yet i supose ill find out soon and might pull it down and do it lol

ckhoile
24th April 2012, 02:00 PM
great tips thanks