PDA

View Full Version : The Shooters & Gun Owner Thread

patch697
22nd July 2010, 07:48 PM
G/day All I thought I'll start a thread on Firearms.

How many members are Licence Shooters?

What type of gun do you prefer?

Where do you like to go to Shoot?

DX grunt
25th July 2010, 12:31 PM
Not from 'this little black duck' LOL Hunting has it's place in society, but I'm not a gun fan.

patch697
25th July 2010, 01:00 PM
I am a Licence Shooter & avid hunter. I am registered with the DSE foe pest animals & culling.

We mainly hunt bunnys, foxs, ferrule cats, wild dogs, duck, & deer.

I only go out with a select few as this is strictly a no cowboys & alcohol free event for us so everything is strictly by the book but its the only way.

Guns of choice are: 12 gauge .22, 223WSM, 243WSM, 270WSM & 30/06.

The 12 gauge is my gun of choice for most hunting but the 30/06 is by far the best choice for deer & even wild dogs when tracking from a distance IMO although the 270WSM is also well up to the task.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
25th July 2010, 01:23 PM
The people who I have shot with are bordering on anal when it comes to gun safety (ie: cross-checking each others guns to ensure they are inactive prior to transporting or negotiating obstacles on foot, etc).

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY & THE ONLY PPL WHO SHOULD BE ANYWHERE NEAR A FIREARM IMHO.

Love the post Plassy & your 100% right on the money on all accounts.

Cheers
Paul

AB
25th July 2010, 04:16 PM
I don't have a license but been on many deer hunting missions using the 30/06 which IMO is the best for this type of hunting.

Looking at getting my license very soon.

Back in my teens i heard a story that my "old" friends took up and inexperienced shooter and were drinking cans and showing this newbie how to use them.

They handed him an over and under double barrel shotty, he fired the first shot and someone yelled "you have one more shot mate". He turned around pointed the gun towards a crowd of about 10 other people and asked "where" someone yelled "there's another trigger just behind that one you pulled".

The shot fired off and went over everyones heads by about 5 metres.

My sensible friend who was on that trip just packed his gear up and camped behind the biggest tree away from everyone after that and never went away with them again.

Boys and beers and 5 guns getting passed around is a such a dangerous mixture.

Guns kill.

My friend's dad accidently shot and killed his brother when they were only 10 years old when he lived in America so if your also a gun owner, please ensure their always locked up and ammo kept seperatly in another locked compartment.

Finly Owner
25th July 2010, 10:12 PM
Have license papers to fill out now. Need to join shooters assoc. Have a mate who goes down stanthorpe way to private property who says I should be able to get confirmation of permission to shoot there too. Want a sterling .22 magnum with scope eventually. Had one when I was younger would like another one.

patch697
26th July 2010, 11:56 AM
Have license papers to fill out now. Need to join shooters assoc. Have a mate who goes down stanthorpe way to private property who says I should be able to get confirmation of permission to shoot there too. Want a sterling .22 magnum with scope eventually. Had one when I was younger would like another one.

Don't bother with the Sterlings these days, thay not what thay used to be & are now cheap junk. ( one of the cheapest in fact).

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
29th July 2010, 10:54 PM
Nah but if I can get an old one that would be what I am after

45/70
21st March 2012, 05:25 PM
I am a licensed shooter and have been for about 25 yrs.
At the moment I own 4 firearms and love shooting them all but dont get to that often due to work and family commitments.
In my safe at the moment I have the following.

-Marlin 1895 chambered in 45/70.

-Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .223 Rem.

-Sterling mod 1400 chambered in .22lr.

-Boito Coach gun chambered in12g 3" Magnum.

So ive pretty much got everything from Rabbits to Elephants covered.:210:

hekarewe
21st March 2012, 07:50 PM
I am a licienced hunter and also hold a NSW game licience R as well. have been away from the hunting for a long time but have been slowly making my way back to it. now only have 2 rifles a

howa 308
stevens .22 which my daughter uses for punching paper.

my next hunting trip hopefuly will incorperated to the trip i am doing down south over easter bit of roo culling and maybe a crack at a red deer

i am very anal over gun saftey and if anyone wants to go for a shoot or a hunt feel free and drop me a call, when i get back from down south i will be looking at a property near stanthorp supposed to have deer on it.

growler2058
21st March 2012, 08:18 PM
I used to have a few gats from .22 cal pistols, 9mm pistols, Lithgow .303's (love em) .22 rifles variety of shot guns. sold em all and got into archery for a while, let my licence expire, went to renew it a few years later and they say nooooooo, you gotta do a course join a club seperate lock boxes blah blah. SPEWIN!!!!! never shoulda let it expire. Have an indoor pistol range here in Adelaide that ive heard you can do your licence through by doing a log book, may have to suss it out i rekon

Silver
21st March 2012, 11:20 PM
The owner of these tusks was sitting enjoying the early morning sun.

One of his grinders, and a lot of his teeth were pretty decayed.

I reckon he was sitting there thinking 'Hmmmm this sun is nice............. hmmmm my teeth hurt like #$%$%$....... hmmm, must hunt up some breaky soon ' and then he was intantaneously dead courtesy of a steady rest and my 6.5.

I am normally pretty discreet about locations, however this one is a 'pay to shoot' place near St George.

100% behind attention to firearm safety. Multiple layers of safety means that even if one layer goes astray, the rest ensure a safe outcome.

I only shoot ferals, but have no objection to those who take native animals provided they are sensible about it - which covers a lot of ground from using the meat to avoiding locally scarce animals etc. Most shooters in my experience are sensible and have strong ethics - which may or may not be different to mine. I avoid the rest.

45/70
22nd March 2012, 08:20 AM
Nice set of hooks there Silver, and you wont see too many rifles more accurate than the 6.6x55.

270win
22nd March 2012, 11:40 AM
Love em.

Current contents of the safe

• Remington Genesis .177 Air rifle
• Winchester Model 320 .22 Rimfire
• Remington VSSF II 22-250 Rem
• Sako 75 Stainless / Synthetic .270 Win
• 1943 Lee Enfield SMLE No1 Mk3 .303 British (Full wood)
• CZ 550 Safari .375 H&H Magnum
• Lanber 2087 Under / Over 12 Gauge
• IAC Lever action 12 Gauge

hekarewe
22nd March 2012, 05:28 PM
The owner of these tusks was sitting enjoying the early morning sun.

One of his grinders, and a lot of his teeth were pretty decayed.

I reckon he was sitting there thinking 'Hmmmm this sun is nice............. hmmmm my teeth hurt like #$%$%$....... hmmm, must hunt up some breaky soon ' and then he was intantaneously dead courtesy of a steady rest and my 6.5.

I am normally pretty discreet about locations, however this one is a 'pay to shoot' place near St George.

100% behind attention to firearm safety. Multiple layers of safety means that even if one layer goes astray, the rest ensure a safe outcome.

I only shoot ferals, but have no objection to those who take native animals provided they are sensible about it - which covers a lot of ground from using the meat to avoiding locally scarce animals etc. Most shooters in my experience are sensible and have strong ethics - which may or may not be different to mine. I avoid the rest.

good lookingh hooks there mate