PDA

View Full Version : Steering damper fitted correctly??

snicko
28th May 2011, 07:22 PM
Just fitted a OME Steering damper and is the gap normal? GU 2006 Wagon.

Also when I took the truck for a test drive it pulls a little to the left so do I need to get an alignment or will it settle in and be OK?

NissanGQ4.2
28th May 2011, 07:54 PM
Sorry i can't help u on this one snicko, but still looks wrong 2 me, is that metal on metal where the gap is???

snicko
28th May 2011, 08:06 PM
Sorry i can't help u on this one snicko, but still looks wrong 2 me, is that metal on metal where the gap is???

No, but the shaft is tapered.

GUtsy ute
28th May 2011, 08:30 PM
Hi again Snicko,
Your damper doesn't affect your alignment.
Try turning the steering full lock either way several times on flat ground.
Sometimes this seems to help if they have been stored on their end for a while.
Is the gap the end of the tapered bolt?
If it is and the taperis nice and tight in the bracket with the nut tightened, it should be ok.
Do you have a mechanic who could take a look for you?

Gavin

snicko
28th May 2011, 08:43 PM
I will try tomorrow the full lock trick and Monday I could take it to the ARB store I bought the damper from and get him to look at it.

Thanks again
Snicko

YNOT
28th May 2011, 09:26 PM
That gap may be normal. The body of the damper looks as though it may touch the bracket if the bush was hard up against the bracket.

Tony

timbar
28th May 2011, 10:43 PM
looks fine to me S N I C K O

snicko
28th May 2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys

Pic of finished fitting. (The gap is the same at each end.)

While I was under there, I found a oil drip again. I asked my mechanic last time I noticed oil dripping and he said it was normal for oil to come out of the hose as it was an over fill hose? Is this what it is?? I have taken a pic so you know what I am talking about.

Snicko

timbar
29th May 2011, 12:48 AM
dont know bout the oil drip but sounds a bit sus to me !!!

snicko
29th May 2011, 12:52 AM
dont know bout the oil drip but sounds a bit sus to me !!!

Thats what I thought. Hope Tony reads this as I know he will know.

YNOT
29th May 2011, 07:32 AM
Thats what I thought. Hope Tony reads this as I know he will know.

I'll have a look at mine this morning to see what is on the other end of that hose/where the oil is coming from.

Tony

YNOT
29th May 2011, 10:50 AM
On ZD30 Patrols the oil filter is directly above the L/H engine mount, meaning that oil would spill all over the mount at every oil change. At least it would had Nissan not put a plastic tray on top of the engine mount to collect the spilled oil. The hose in your photo is connected to that tray and allows the collected oil to drain away where it can be collected easily without making a big mess.
Put some kero in a spray bottle and spray underneath the oil filter (from the top) then hose off with water.

It would also be a good idea to make sure the filter is tight. Firm hand tight only don't over tighten it.

Tony

snicko
29th May 2011, 12:31 PM
On ZD30 Patrols the oil filter is directly above the L/H engine mount, meaning that oil would spill all over the mount at every oil change. At least it would had Nissan not put a plastic tray on top of the engine mount to collect the spilled oil. The hose in your photo is connected to that tray and allows the collected oil to drain away where it can be collected easily without making a big mess.
Put some kero in a spray bottle and spray underneath the oil filter (from the top) then hose off with water.

It would also be a good idea to make sure the filter is tight. Firm hand tight only don't over tighten it.

Tony

Tony, you have explained it much better than my mechanic, so thank you. This means each time the oil is changed then this will drip for a bit - OK
But just need to keep an eye on it in case the filter is not fitted correctly.
(Guys tend not to take females seriously so now I wont need to ask this one again!!)

Thanks Tony for taking the time to check out my question much appreciated.

Snicko

ZORDO
1st June 2011, 06:58 PM
Back to the damper problem.
That gap is normal.Most aftermarket dapers use the same pin & they have the same gap.
Cheers

NissanGQ4.2
1st June 2011, 07:05 PM
looks like a bad design 2 me, but then again it is on a GU *LMAO*