PDA

View Full Version : anyone got anything to add about towing in 5th???????????????????????

Boagie
25th May 2011, 10:01 PM
re my other posts on this subject,i have heard all the stories of guys stripping 5th gear in their older gu models,the question i need answered is --i have a 99 gu 4.2 n/a ute,that i want to take up north in about a month.i will be towing a pop top camper that weighs approx 600kg,and probably have about 250kgs in tray maybe a bit more with fuel etc.now i have replaced the oil in gearbox with redline,and the box is very quiet.i drive very sensibly--eg back to fourth on a hill,and on declines etc.i am pretty sure sitting in 4th gear on the long flats is doable--but the economy will probably go out the window eh?---surely if i drive to the conditions and take it easy with this load --it should be fine???---i am very paranoid of it going bang!!!!!----please give me info???:biggrin::jawdrop:

the ferret
25th May 2011, 11:04 PM
Your 99 will probably have the early fifth gear unless it's been modified, but having said that, I'm also not sure if the 4.2 box had the same probs as the 2.8's.
"Lugging" is what stresses the overdrive, but if you drive it as you say, you should be fine. Strong headwinds also contribute to failure of 5th gear when towing.
Cheers.

YNOT
25th May 2011, 11:06 PM
There is no external way of knowing if 5th gear in your gearbox has been upgraded so all you can do is drop it back to 4th at the slightest sign of a hill and hope for the best. Sorry but can't say 100% that you will be fine.

Tony