PDA

View Full Version : New alternator / vac pump ?

Pommy
25th May 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi guys,

i have a 93 GQ patrol 4.2L and i'm upgrading the alternator.
Now my question is do i need to replace the vac pump which is on the back of the alternator?

cheers
Pommy

Bigrig
25th May 2011, 12:25 PM
I didn't on mine mate - I put in a 110amp alternator also [standard is 70amp I think]. That said, don't know if it "should" be done, just know that I didn't do mine ...

Others will have better input than me no doubt mate.

YNOT
25th May 2011, 06:29 PM
I didn't on mine mate - I put in a 110amp alternator also [standard is 70amp I think]. That said, don't know if it "should" be done, just know that I didn't do mine ...

Others will have better input than me no doubt mate.

Your's is a petrol Scotty so it doesn't have a seperate vac pump. Petrol engines generate vacuum in the inlet manifold so manufacturers use that as the vacuum source. Diesels don't generate vacuum so need a seperate vac pump.

I would think the vac pump would be OK to reuse.

Tony

Bigrig
25th May 2011, 06:31 PM
Your's is a petrol Scotty so it doesn't have a seperate vac pump. Petrol engines generate vacuum in the inlet manifold so manufacturers use that as the vacuum source. Diesels don't generate vacuum so need a seperate vac pump.

I would think the vac pump would be OK to reuse.

Tony

Ahhh ... well I'll shut up then!! ....

No I won't!!! lmao

Thanks mate. Always learning!!

big_fletch
25th May 2011, 07:06 PM
Majority of the time you can reuse the vac pump off old altenator, just a good idea to replace the seal (o-ring) between the pump and housing of alt when swapping.. Just check the spline on the gear in the vac pump that the rotor of the alt slides into for damage or major wear, if all good then should be fine to re-use

Pommy
25th May 2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys i'll give it a go.

Pommy

MudRunnerTD
25th May 2011, 11:13 PM
Most of the ones i have seen for sale on the net have a new one bolted to them already mate? what are you buying and from where? how many amps? If your spending teh cash get a bigger one if you can mate.

Standard is 70amp (read RUBBISH) and you can get a 90amp off ebay, there is the odd 120amp floating around and come up occasionally too. Check Patrol-a-part for a 90amp and maybe the bigger ones too.

Cheers