PDA

View Full Version : Reverse camera LEDs turn on but camera won't come onto the screen

Salim
22nd November 2018, 01:52 PM
Hi guys I've installed an Android head unit and run the wiring for the reverse camera and that's all great. But I'm having an issue where the camera isn't coming onto the screen when I put the patrol in reverse but the LEDs on the camera switch on.

I've got the power and earth (black connector) connected to the power and earth on the reverse light at the back and then the yellow connector going from the camera to the stereo and plugged into the correct hole (R CAM). The thing that's got me stumped is there is a red wire sticking out both ends of the yellow connector. Tried to also connect that to the power on the reverse light and it burned a fuse so I removed it.

Would anyone know where I'm going wrong?http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/159.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/160.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Fireblade
22nd November 2018, 03:02 PM
i found when i used the reverse light for my power and earth i had grainy image, i used a chassis earth and the image was heaps better.
also when the earth was on the reverse light the camer would flicker everytime id touch the brake pedal. odd hey.

reason your screen doestn auto go to the camera could be this.
with my head unis i have a reverse trigger wire coming from the head unit, so when in revers this wire got power and would switch the display to the camera input.
the camera is probably working but the screen isnt switching to that input?

with my head unit i can go through the menu and select rear camera even when not in reverse but the way mine is wired the camera only powers in reverse so doesnt work unless i re-do it.
can you put the car in reverse and find an option in your menu to display rear camera?

hope this helps

the evil twin
22nd November 2018, 03:07 PM
The Red wires on the Vid RCA Cable is to trigger the Head Unit so it knows you have selected reverse.

The camera end should be connected to reverse light +ve, the Head unit end should be connected to teh appropriate jack, wire or pin on your Head Unit.

If you want only want to select the Rev Cam on The Head Unit manually then you can leave both ends disconnected ditto if you don't have a trigger jack on the Head Unit.

Fireblade
22nd November 2018, 03:27 PM
salim do you have a wiring picture of your head unit, something that tells you the purpose of each wire from the plug?

mudnut
22nd November 2018, 04:35 PM
Different manufacturers don't follow a common wire colour code. So you really need to find a diagram as Fireblade posted.

the evil twin
22nd November 2018, 05:24 PM
Different manufacturers don't follow a common wire colour code. So you really need to find a diagram as Fireblade posted.

Yep... agree with you and Fireblade

I have found orange, purple and blue/grey at various times but no doubt there are Manuf using others as well... and if it is orange there are usually more than 1 as they use that colour for any combo of memory 12, ACC 12 and Rev Cam Auto On...

Fireblade
22nd November 2018, 05:38 PM
if you do need a reverse signal for the head unit these is a yellow wire in the left hand kick panel that i used to trigger the head unit.
im sure is was a solid yellow wire just use a test light and prob which wire lights up with reverse there should be one in the left hand kick panel
i have a 2008 wagon right hand drive. yours may be different

Salim
22nd November 2018, 09:03 PM
Hey mate, thanks for your reply. Yeah I might give that a go. It's weird nothing happens at all when I shift into reverse. Nah there's nothing to manually do it.

Salim
22nd November 2018, 09:05 PM
The Red wires on the Vid RCA Cable is to trigger the Head Unit so it knows you have selected reverse.

The camera end should be connected to reverse light +ve, the Head unit end should be connected to teh appropriate jack, wire or pin on your Head Unit.

If you want only want to select the Rev Cam on The Head Unit manually then you can leave both ends disconnected ditto if you don't have a trigger jack on the Head Unit.

Yep that's what I've done but what about the other cable do I remove that one from the reverse light wire?

the evil twin
22nd November 2018, 11:23 PM
Yep that's what I've done but what about the other cable do I remove that one from the reverse light wire?

Yes... or at least insulate the Head Unit end.

Personally, I would find out which wire is teh Rev Cam Trigger on the head unit and connect it up.

What brand/model is teh head unit?

Salim
23rd November 2018, 03:46 PM
salim do you have a wiring picture of your head unit, something that tells you the purpose of each wire from the plug?

Hi mate not sure if this is what you mean.

Salim
23rd November 2018, 03:48 PM
if you do need a reverse signal for the head unit these is a yellow wire in the left hand kick panel that i used to trigger the head unit.
im sure is was a solid yellow wire just use a test light and prob which wire lights up with reverse there should be one in the left hand kick panel
i have a 2008 wagon right hand drive. yours may be different

Thanks for this mate sorry but what do you mean by kick panel? Yep same car as yours.

Salim
24th November 2018, 12:57 AM
I'll give it a go thanks mate. No idea it's some chinese eBay unit which is performing quite well for $250 so far hahaha
Yes... or at least insulate the Head Unit end.

Personally, I would find out which wire is teh Rev Cam Trigger on the head unit and connect it up.

What brand/model is teh head unit?

the evil twin
24th November 2018, 01:05 AM
I'll give it a go thanks mate. No idea it's some chinese eBay unit which is performing quite well for $250 so far hahaha

On the pic you posted... Plug A is the plug in question and one of the wires will be labelled Rev Cam or similar.
If you put 12 Volts on that wire it will trigger the Head Unit to display the "R-Cam" video... that is what the red wire is for that is part of the RCA lead.

Salim
24th November 2018, 01:11 AM
Oh well there's my problem I didn't even use that bunch of wire lol. I'll get that sorted and post an update. Thanks a lot mate.
On the pic you posted... Plug A is the plug in question and one of the wires will be labelled Rev Cam or similar.
If you put 12 Volts on that wire it will trigger the Head Unit to display the "R-Cam" video... that is what the red wire is for that is part of the RCA lead.

Fireblade
24th November 2018, 10:10 AM
Sounds like your on a good track now, the kick panel is in the left hand side of the left hand front foot well.
You’ll have the pull up the scuff trim and then pull out the kick trim, there’s a screw holding it in as well.

Salim
25th November 2018, 01:57 AM
Do you mean left side as in the passenger side or just the left side of the foot well in the driver's side?
Sounds like your on a good track now, the kick panel is in the left hand side of the left hand front foot well.
You’ll have the pull up the scuff trim and then pull out the kick trim, there’s a screw holding it in as well.

Fireblade
26th November 2018, 11:35 AM
on a right hand drive car look in the lefts side of the passenger foot well