PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Simpson Desert trip

Sundance
15th November 2018, 07:04 PM
I have a 2014 ex Telstra GU 3lt CRD, doing the Simpson desert in 2019, just wondering about ideas on how to make it easier and more reliable.
I already have 2” Dobinson lift and remote shocks, Beaudesert exhaust, catch can, better fuel filters(I forget the brand) having the intercooler upgraded to a bigger HPD, dual batteries plus a 120amp lead crystal battery under the tray, 160 watts of solar, redarc manager 30, redarc 2000 watt inverter, redarc water temp and oil temp, boost and egr and twin volt gauge.
It has a factory diff lock, 33 inch tyres.
I want it to be a memorable trip, not a trip I want to forget so any advice is very welcome.
I have the usual recovery gear, winch, maxtrax shovel and tyre repair kit.
Thanks for all suggestions

GQtdauto
15th November 2018, 07:29 PM
Looks like you have it covered , will be doing the Simmo next year and fuel will be my biggest problem but looking around now for a belly tank and or bigger main tank .

MB
15th November 2018, 09:15 PM
Agreed with Rob above, does sound like you’re all over it Sundance mate, enjoy!
Our old man used to take us across as kids with ‘Tyre Pliers’ and spare tubes too. They packed heaps smaller than a second spare carried although can only be used on good old steelie rims. Plenty of water always too just in case back then before regular traffic nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
15th November 2018, 09:22 PM
You'll be fine, the Simpson is a pretty popular place nowadays so if anything happens you'll only be a few hours off someone else coming through in popular times.

The only advice I can give is don't rush through it as it goes quickly, enjoy the time there, ensure an extra 20 litres of fuel on top of what you estimate and call out on uhf on each dune as your biggest risk would be hitting another oncoming on the top of a dune.

Enjoy!

gaddy
15th November 2018, 09:35 PM
Well ya got all the "bling" 😉
Spare belt / belts
Spare hoses
Water , and lots of it ! In sept this year the Birdsville recovery truck was out of action , it was a 3 day wait if you needed recovery ! We had as flash Britsh 4wd come into camp one arvo , the ubute hydrolic suspension had collapsed , and can't be dodgied easily , we got there details to Birdsville 2 days later , and the copper wasn't going out to get them untill the next day ! Car was to be left out there until the truck could be repaired.
I carried 80 lt of water .
Fuel . I carreid 4x 10 lt drums, and finished with half a main tank .
We spent 5 days between Mt Dare and Birdsville , we took the Rig Road , Eribana trk , and the French line from there to Birdsville, Best advise i would give is don't be in a hurry , ya don't need to drive like the TV muppetts , only use enough peddle to keep moving !
We had 2 cars both gu tdi 42s .

Out of interest : one a completely stock owned since new , and one with lift , 33s 3in exhaust and snorkel , both burnt within roughly 10 liters of diesel of each other over the 4000km we covered !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gaddy
15th November 2018, 09:38 PM
Airstrip on the rig rd for lunch. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/82.jpg

Bidja
15th November 2018, 09:38 PM
And other spares: fan belt, belt tensoiner, fuel &air filters, tyre case, eng oil and a tub of wheel bearing grease & hub tool.

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2018, 09:57 PM
Sand Flag is a Must. UHF is also a Must have. When we did it as a Forum in 2015 we came across a number of solo cars without radios plodding along. No radio, No sand Flag. I dont care really, they can risk their lives. Its when they are risking Mine by not being visible at the top of a Dune on coming and having Zero consideration for others in the desert is paramount to negligence. Really pissed me off. Your Radio and Your Sand Flag is a courtesy to others.

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2018, 09:58 PM
Rated Recovery point on the front and the back.

MB
15th November 2018, 10:01 PM
Mozzie repellent too :-)
The old Dalhousie Oasis’s out there were all beautiful yet a nightmare on dusk in the day.
Not sure if the new main tourist pool only allowed is as bad now but worth a long desert walk over the new fences I hear if time permits.
Disclaimer again: Water water [emoji98]

Sundance
15th November 2018, 10:17 PM
I’ve got 190 lts of fuel plus 6x10 litre jerry cans, 140 litres of shower water and 80 lots drinking water, always carry spare belts and hoses, coolant oil and spare fuel filters.
Mud runner, I also have 2 uhfs, plus a handheld just in case, and ill pinch a sand(mine) flag from work,oops borrow.

MB
15th November 2018, 10:21 PM
Coily tower braces an absolute must on our GU’s with that sort of weight SD mate!

Bidja
15th November 2018, 10:23 PM
Compressor or fast hand pump...

gaddy
15th November 2018, 10:26 PM
And dispose of number 2s correctly! The amount of dunny roll on the french line was digusting , and a couple of camps you could not stop in due to the smell !

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2018, 10:36 PM
I’ve got 190 lts of fuel plus 6x10 litre jerry cans, 140 litres of shower water and 80 lots drinking water, always carry spare belts and hoses, coolant oil and spare fuel filters.
Mud runner, I also have 2 uhfs, plus a handheld just in case, and ill pinch a sand(mine) flag from work,oops borrow.

140lts for the shower can be left at home mate. you really wont need it. to be honest Baby Wipes will get it done. if you really want one then there is No Standing under a shower in the desert. my son and i had a shower each when we did the Madigan in 2012 and used 4lt between us. 140kgs of excess Weight is unnecessary.

190lt is HEAPS. leave the 60lts at home. maybe take 1 of those 10lt on the roof if your really worried but you wont use anywhere near that.

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2018, 10:38 PM
And dispose of number 2s correctly! The amount of dunny roll on the french line was digusting , and a couple of camps you could not stop in due to the smell !

Yeah digging a hole in the Simpson is Very very easy work. there is simply No Excuse other than laziness for not sorting that out.

the evil twin
15th November 2018, 11:58 PM
snip... I’ve got 190 lts of fuel plus 6x10 litre jerry cans, 140 litres of shower water and 80 lots drinking water,

I would shed at least 200 Kg of that load...

As posted by others, I would ditch the shower water, and not fill the Jerries... 190 litres of fuel will be about 50% more than you need.

GQtdauto
16th November 2018, 12:44 AM
I'm figuring on 30 litres per hundred on fuel for mine and will definitely be carrying as much fuel as possible ,however water will be cut down to a bear minimum.

Old Wal
16th November 2018, 10:40 PM
All good advice. We did the Simpson last year .I have a GU 4.2Tdi coil / leaf ute with slide on camper combination that weighs heaps. West to East ( Mt Dare to Birdesville ) we did 595 kms and used 109 Ltrs of fuel. That included a grueling section of the WAA line that took over 5 hrs to do about 50 Kms - very soft sand. This year we crossed the Simpson again East to West ( Birdesville to Kulgerra ) 872 Kms and used 158 Ltrs of fuel. Skipped Mt Dare as the road was terrible. Didn't use the WAA line at all because there was at least 2 convoys of multiple vehicle in front of us that were struggling to get through. This year we arrived in Birdesville the day that the bash started so there had been plenty of West to East traffic through the desert - western sides of the dunes were very chopped up, Incidentally we found the dunes easier to climb going East to West - definitely steeper but shorter. As already mentioned definitely call on your UHF frequently stating which track you are on and what direction you are travelling/ There is a real risk of head on collisions - lots of vehicles on the tracks.

Coldcomfort
16th November 2018, 10:49 PM
To be honest I reckon a stock standard crd patrol would do this trip. So I reckon you a4e all over it.

Sundance
24th November 2018, 08:35 AM
Thank you all, has been a great help and will follow your advice.
Thanks again