PDA

View Full Version : Broken bolt and stud removal.

mudnut
22nd October 2018, 10:24 PM
G'day all. This short youtube clip shows some easy techniques to remove broken bolts and studs without damaging the thread. I hope you find it helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfkCj3FWBs&t=465s

mudnut
16th December 2018, 11:56 AM
Okay, brain trust. I have two seized bolts in the thermostat housing of our EB falcon. They're 8mm thread with 13mm heads. They hold the aluminium case to an aluminium block which is bolted to the engine block. The gasket between the thermostat housing is weeping quite badly, so something needs to be done, before it causes bad issues.

Do I :
a) put some silver seal in the coolant and wing it?

b) break the bolts and repair the threads as in the first post?

c) alternately apply heat and cold to the heads of the bolts to try and shock them free before breaking them any way?

d) take up drinking and forget the universe ever existed?

Rossco
16th December 2018, 12:23 PM
Option D sounds pretty good [emoji23] . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
16th December 2018, 12:48 PM
Option "D" for sure it's worked for me and I'm gunna get to that one fricken rounded hex bolt holding the tow bar on when I run out of beer .

Hodge
16th December 2018, 03:28 PM
Option B or C ... Do it right , I say.
Otherwise it'll bite you in the future .

TD42s have a long bolt through the thermo housing , and more often then not , makes people hate life I've heard. Mine was ok thank f**k.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

mudnut
16th December 2018, 04:30 PM
After seriously considering d), I used an LPG blow torch to heat up a 3/4" piece of bar until it was just below red hot. I then used multi grips, to hold the end of the bar onto the heads of the bolts for about 30 seconds each.

After letting the bolts cool properly, I tried undoing them using a heftier ratchet. I got both to move a little, so here's hoping they won't break when I get a new O ring and try to replace it.

( I replaced the bloody O ring only a few months ago, and I still thought it needed a new gasket. Maybe too much of answer d) in my youth).