PDA

View Full Version : Need some URGANT Help if possible ?

Micksta
21st July 2010, 01:58 PM
Fixed it thanks for your help

Timbo
21st July 2010, 02:33 PM
I re-read your post a few times but I'm afraid I still don't quite understand what your saying.

Are the hubs working or not? Or is this issue purely with your handbrake?

The Auto hubs aren't the greatest bit of gear around. They are prone to locking while driving in 2H for no reason other than they wear out as far as i know. It used to happen to my GU a lot. You would be driving a long and all of a sudden you could hear the front hub(s) starting to try and lock.

To disengage 4wd, you are supposed to first change it into 2H from 4L, then reverse (in 2H) up about 2 meters to disengage the Auto Hubs. If this doesn't happen, the hubs would possibly be still locked in on 2H (2 wheel drive).

As for your handbrake, no idea. Best off getting a mechanic to check it out perhaps.

patch697
21st July 2010, 02:49 PM
I re-read your post a few times but I'm afraid I still don't quite understand what your saying.

Are the hubs working or not? Or is this issue purely with your handbrake?

The Auto hubs aren't the greatest bit of gear around. They are prone to locking while driving in 2H for no reason other than they wear out as far as i know. It used to happen to my GU a lot. You would be driving a long and all of a sudden you could hear the front hub(s) starting to try and lock.

To disengage 4wd, you are supposed to first change it into 2H from 4L, then reverse (in 2H) up about 2 meters to disengage the Auto Hubs. If this doesn't happen, the hubs would possibly be still locked in on 2H (2 wheel drive).

As for your handbrake, no idea. Best off getting a mechanic to check it out perhaps.

G/day Micksta & welcome to the forum.

X2 I also had a hard time fully understanding what your actual problem is?????

G-Unit is spot on with the auto hubs & must convert back to manual for this reason.

Cheers
Paul

p.s Don't forget to pop into Introductions & tell us all a bit about yourself....Cheers

Micksta
21st July 2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks

The hubs arnt locked anymore but we think that the hand brake is slightly locked on because then you put the hand brake on its not and strong and when you let the hand brake off the goes down 3 quarters than it drops loose and the handbrake light flickers on and off sometimes and when my wife got back an hour ago i could smell a small burning smell like brakes or something.

YNOT
21st July 2010, 06:53 PM
Sounds like 2 different problems to me.
First of all, is your Patrol a 4.8 litre petrol? If it is then your handbrake works directly on the rear brakes. Any other engine and your handbrake is on the back of the gearbox. Either way it's completely unrelated to your front hub problem.
As the others have said, the auto hubs can be a bit problematic at times. Cheapest fix for auto hubs is to remove the auto locking mechanism so they operate as manual hubs.

Tony