PDA

View Full Version : Coopers - Discoverer ATR's

Timbo
20th July 2010, 09:35 AM
http://stores.redtagtires.com/catalog/324.jpg

I've just bought a set of 4 Cooper Discoverer ATR's 33". There are to be my road tyres with the added use of light 4wd'ing. Currently, I've been running around on my 35" baja's and it's making me cry that they are getting worn.

I got these coopers really cheap and it was an offer I couldn't refuse. I actually wanted some BFG AT's or Muddies since they last ages, but for the price I got the coopers for, I'm willing to try them out.

As you can see, they look just like a normal road tyre really. They aren't very aggressive like some other ATR's so I don't think I'll be playing in the mud with them. They should be fine in sand though and great on light 4wd tracks. Saves me from having to change to the 35" baja's all the time.

Once I've had them on for a few weeks, I'll make another report. Haven't really had enough experience with them yet. So far they are really smooth on the road though and grip well in the dry. Hasn't rained yet so that'll be the test!

Cheers

AB
21st July 2010, 09:20 PM
Should be a much smoother ride for on road than the Baja's G-Unit.

Let us know how you go mate, that'll be good!

WANO
21st July 2010, 09:51 PM
G unit, I had a set of ATRs on my GU when I bought it, looking at the paperwork they had done 75000 km. I did about 18000 on them and they still had probably aroun 10000 left on them. The only thing as you say, is on use them on light 4WDing because I did a trip to the Bendlleby Range , which is rocky and it cut the hell out of them. But if you use them as you said you wil get heaps of mileage out of them.

Cheers

WANO

Timbo
21st July 2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the comment Wano.

I'm surprised how deep the tread is on these tyres. They look just like road tyres, as i've already said. Still surprised when I look at them.

Been driving for a few days on them now. Last night is p!ssed down while I was at the gym, so when I got outside and into the 4by I was stoked to find the road was well and trully wet.

I realise the tyres are only a few days old but traction was good. There was no wheel spin at the lights, or understeer into corners. The baja's understeer a little bit on some round-a-bouts but generally I couldn't fault them in the wet, but I did used to take it easy on them knowing they are a mud tyre.

So far the Discoverers are great. I have noticed that you feel road lumps and bumps more.. but that's just because they are 2" smaller and there's less air to cushion the ride. It feels good though. Steering is overall just better and the car tracks a lot straighter and doesn't follow the contours of the road like the muddies. These are my first ATR tyres, so I'm pretty much just telling you all what you probably already know. :)

Now I just need to buy a 33" retread or something as a spare..maybe a second hand 33" is cheaper.

Butty
7th August 2010, 11:12 AM
When I bought my GU it had Cooper ATA tyres fitted and the gent I bought the vehicle off said he had done 85,000 on the them. So when they needed replacing I had a new set of 285 x 75 x 16 Cooper ATR tyres fitted late last year and I am very impressed with them, good handling in wet weather and when sand driving are excellent, a good allrounder. A friend of mine accross the road where I live has a set of ST Coopers fitted and said he could recommend them because they are noisey and lousey in sand, in the end I guess it is personal opinion.

Rregards
Danny

Maxhead
7th August 2010, 12:40 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a decent AT, it depends what you do with the truck. I was running Bridhestone AT and they were pretty good as an all rounder.
There have been some negative feedback on the ST and STT's but these might be OK>

Timbo
10th August 2010, 09:54 AM
Well, it's been a couple of weeks and the tyres are still great.

I don't do a hell of a lot of driving so hopefully I'll have these for 4 or more years. The only driving I do is to work (4km's) and to the Gym afterwards which another 5 mins down the road. Wish I had these tyres when I was traveling 40km's to work through the hills! My poor muddies have copped a flogging because of that.

Anyway, they have been a great investment. Although they look like road tyres, they are chunky but you'd never know by feel. They are really smooth and grip very well. In the wet, they are great as well. I've done a few brake tests and there was only minor skidding from 60km/h. I did this test early in the morning at some factories coming home from a friends house. Although I don't/can't drive the 4wd like a race car, there appears to be no understeer around corners or round-a-bouts like I had with the Baja Claws. I realise the two tyres are like chalk and cheese though.

Little to no road noise at all. Again, very quiet.

I've done some minor mud work in these. They aren't designed for mud as much as they are for sand, but they performed admirably in the mud. It wasn't "boghole" type stuff I was in... think of a really sloppy backyard after a week of rain. Slippery enough to need the hubs locked in, but hard enough to get traction. I had a bit of understeer but that was more than likely due to me going to fast on my mates property lol. Had some fun.

Haven't tried sand driving yet, but what i've read, these tyres perform really well so I'll have to drive down to the beach.

RustyNails
2nd September 2010, 11:05 PM
My ATRs have been great except on wet tarmac where you need to take a bit more care.
Also important that you rotate the tyres if you want to get the most out of them.
A mate had the earlier pattern ATRs and wasn't happy with them and the only reason he has a set with the new pattern on his cruiser now is because I found a set for him for $400

Paul