PDA

View Full Version : gq alternator probs

scottyshams
21st May 2011, 12:35 PM
hey guys just bought a 97 2.8td gq patrol put 5inch lift in it and twice now ive driven threw creeks or puddles and my altinator has filled with mud and is now stuffed - just wonderinf if anyone knows how to stop this from happening cheers

the ferret
21st May 2011, 12:51 PM
I'm sure someone may be able to help, but I think it may be a good idea to :first edit your post (hint) and 2nd, put up some sort of intro.
Cheers.

NissanGQ4.2
21st May 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi mate, you will find most members will only help out after you post up an intro about yourself.

And please refrain from swearing as this is a family friendly forum.

Cheers

Todd

Bigrig
21st May 2011, 01:22 PM
Edited - family friendly forum old mate - we all swear and certainly aren't prudes, but please avoid it on here - thanks.

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2011, 05:15 PM
hey guys just bought a 97 2.8td gq patrol put 5inch lift in it and twice now ive driven threw creeks or puddles and my altinator has filled with mud and is now stuffed - just wonderinf if anyone knows how to stop this from happening cheers

Yep! easy answer Scotty..... Stay out of the BOG HOLES

Bog Holes Cost MONEY. they may well be fun but every time you go into one it is truly costing you at least $500 a go!

Alternatively, keep driving through them cause they are fun! spend the cash on the bits that fail and when you are bored with blowing your cash learn to drive around them.

Not being smart! FACT ^^^^

3 x Alternators at $500 each
1 x Water Pump @ $150
3 x Air Con Compressors @ $700 plus $200 gas each time
1 x Front end rebuild (Swivel hubs, wheel bearings etc etc.) $800
2 x Radiator @ $400
1 x Written off Car after going into the river to wash the radiator that was full of mud so i could drive home without cooking the engine.
More than 10 times Strip interior out to wash and dry the carpet to remove the muddy water and residue and sort out the smell.

I reckon i'm bored with them now......

Or just keep driving in them cause all of mine could just have been bad luck hey???!! NOT!

Welcome to Four Wheel Driving.

My Rule Number1 = If you cant Pay or dont want to Pay then DONT PLAY.

Hope that sorts it out for you mate.

How about posting an intro as some of the other guys has suggested.

Cheers MR

scottyshams
9th June 2011, 05:54 PM
sorry guys didnt mean to swear and new to the whole forum thing my names scott 21 live in syd my gq is my first 4x4 bought it from queensland did all the lift myself with some friends so yeh thats me love gettin stuck in the mud and crawlin over anything i can drive over and etc etc etc

Bigrig
9th June 2011, 05:58 PM
sorry guys didnt mean to swear and new to the whole forum thing my names scott 21 live in syd my gq is my first 4x4 bought it from queensland did all the lift myself with some friends so yeh thats me love gettin stuck in the mud and crawlin over anything i can drive over and etc etc etc

All good mate - join in and get amongst it, you'll no doubt find heaps of quality ideas on here to keep the build progressing!!!

We all the love the mud ... just not as much as auto sparkies who make their living off fixing our rigs after we do it!!!! lmao

growler2058
9th June 2011, 06:17 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard theyre a good mob here full of good info and advice

scottyshams
17th June 2011, 06:08 PM
cheers guys
and yeh i been told u can try use a marine altinator cause they are sealed was wondering if this true