PDA

View Full Version : Buying a GU Patrol, maybe ??

1peter
19th May 2011, 09:54 PM
Hi, i am new to this forum and this is my 1st post. I am thinking about buying a 1998 Auto 4.5 petrol GU wagon, it has only done 168,000km's and is in great shape inside and out. I do have a couple of questions though. Q1- The Gu drives perfectly other than a slight vibration when you 1st take of, it is only slight but it is noticable and dissapears as soon as you take off. I don't know if it is comming from the drive train or tranny or whether it is normal with these models. Q2- If i decide to change to gas is it worth paying the extra for SVI or just stick with the old system ?? Q3- It comes with Engel fridge, bull bar, camping drawers, twin batteries, roof rack and side awning. Is it worth $14,000 ?? Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Silver
19th May 2011, 10:00 PM
don't have any experience with the GU, still wearing out my GQ. :-)

You might want to go onto the intro page and put up a bit of info about yourself - whatever you are comfortable with!

Welcome to the forum, and have fun.

Finly Owner
19th May 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Peter. If youstay a member I 'll get a mod to place this up as your intro. And GU lovers will be able to answer your price question soon. Has plenty of goods though. Dollars are saved just there.

Tim

YNOT
19th May 2011, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the forum Peter.

Ans.1- The vibration could be caused by a number of things, worn universal joints, worn engine or gearbox mounts etc, if the vibration mainly occurs when accelerating just off straight ahead it may just be the limited slip diff needs a different oil. If the vehicle is fitted with a suspension lift it could be caused by incorrect driveline angles.

Ans.2- If you can afford the extra $$$ definatley get LPG injection (SVI, VSI). As a former gas fitter I have in the past fitted both types of systems to various vehicles, the vapour injection systems do not back fire and have less power drop on gas and no power drop on petrol(the earlier type LPG systems put a venturi in the air inlet which restricts air flow so even when you run on petrol there is a drop in power, vapour injection does not use a venturi). Fuel economy is also slightly better with SVI.

Ans.3- I have no idea what the red book value would be but I would think $11 or 12,000 would be closer to the mark for a 1998 model.

Tony

Bigrig
19th May 2011, 10:12 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

timbar
19th May 2011, 10:13 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

DX grunt
19th May 2011, 10:17 PM
G'day mate. Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Fletcha

Bob
19th May 2011, 10:38 PM
Welcome Mate. I too have a 98 GU 4.5l Manual on Dual Fuel. Great Machine for what I do. No extreme 4wd but it gets me to places other vehicles cant. Enjoy

Finly Owner
19th May 2011, 10:41 PM
Are we flicking him into Intros (Tony,Scott?)

Tim

YNOT
20th May 2011, 07:12 AM
Are we flicking him into Intros (Tony,Scott?)

Tim

I'm hoping Peter will come back and post a seperate intro, this thread is in the correct section.

Tony

katwoman
20th May 2011, 07:40 AM
Welcome Peter. I am also a owner of the 4.5 GU.. I bought mine about 6-7 months ago, for a bit more than that. But only because I knew it's history.
The low k's is a good sign. Shop around, you can get GU's for 10-12k but with mega km's and fairly rough. For some reason they are also a little more expensive in Vic. You'll have to allow $3k(?) or so for gas system pretty much straight away..so take that into account. Because you probably wont be driving one of those babies on petrol for long..
Hope this helps.
Once you own a GU, you will never go back !!!

Sir Roofy
20th May 2011, 09:47 AM
Welcome aboard peter enjoy your stay
ive got a 4.5 gu on gas they are good on gas
with the extras that you will getis a bonus
check out there prices,have it looked at
then dicide
good luck with your find

1peter
20th May 2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, and i am enjoying reading lots of good stuff on this forum. I have since been offered a 97 Nissan Pathfinder for $7500 in great condition which has done even less Km's than the Patrol. I will have to weigh up what it will cost to set up the Pathy versus putting the Patrol on gas etc, etc. Thanks again for all the replies, and i will use the advice to help me make more of a valued decision. Hopefully.

Clunk
21st May 2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, and i am enjoying reading lots of good stuff on this forum. I have since been offered a 97 Nissan Pathfinder for $7500 in great condition which has done even less Km's than the Patrol. I will have to weigh up what it will cost to set up the Pathy versus putting the Patrol on gas etc, etc. Thanks again for all the replies, and i will use the advice to help me make more of a valued decision. Hopefully.
guess it all depends on exactly what you want a 4by for....... personally and I know this may sound biased but I'd go the Patrol.

welcome aboard the forum by the way mate, tis a good place for info and fun

1peter
21st May 2011, 05:47 PM
Yep, checked out the Pathy and i am no longer interested. So it's back to finding a good Patrol, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. As Katwoman said, a lot depends on having to spend $3000 ish (that's after the $1500 rebate) on a gas system. Makes the total cost $17,000 but it is in perfect condition so we will see ??

1peter
22nd May 2011, 10:28 AM
G'day mate. Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt
Hi ross, i am from the north side of Brisbane,