PDA

View Full Version : Diff breathers for the GQ

AB
19th May 2011, 07:40 PM
I really need to get my bum into gear and get diff breathers on Bluey before I make an expensive mistake when winter sets in.

A couple of questions if anyone gets a chance during the day to have a look at theirs and let me know that would be fantastic...

What size hose do I need - 6mm?

What else do I need?

2 cheap fuel filters
Did you guys use 2 x the air shank thinggys to connect outlet to tube?
Clamps x 2
Zip ties
6mm PVC tubing....6mm???
Where did you run your rear breather, all the way to the front, inside the jack holder at the rear, etc???
I should do a DIY thread too for anyone else planning on doing it but want to make sure It's done right.

growler2058
19th May 2011, 07:45 PM
From memory mate i think 6mm fuel line is what i used and i put my rear high up where the bottle jack lives, figured if i get that dep ill probably have bigger issues than water in the diff. i used little paper and stainless steel mesh filters from auto pro

Edit i rekon my fuel line actually was 8 or 10 mm O.D ill check tomorrow

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 08:14 PM
Yep I ran about same size hose as growlers, however I ran mine up to the front and put a fuel filter on the end..
Didn't worry about split as fuel hose is pretty thick and I just made sure I used extra zip ties to hold it firm

Ben-e-boy
3rd June 2011, 07:39 PM
the breather fitting connrcted to the diffs are quite small in inner diametre, IMO if you are lengthening the breather lines it is a good idea to fit larger fittings. the plan for mine is to change the fittings on the diff to accomodate and air compressor hose untill it reaches the chassis where I will use aSMC air line to match the snap lock fittings and up the gauze filter

The attached photos are of SMC brass breathers which are found on pneumatic circuits and available at industrial suppliers this will be at the top end to let the air out and keep the crud out.

I have only got these parts today and yet to install but I will post up more pic if you are interested

the ferret
3rd June 2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Andy, Pm roddo, he did his GQ and would be happy to part with the info, let me know if you can't find him.
Cheers Rod.

TuffTD42
5th June 2011, 08:45 AM
I used this kit, a bit exy but that's the way I went.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diff-Gearbox-Trans-Breather-QUAD-Kit-Snorkel-4WD-4x4-/310255983627?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483cb29c0b

Are you going to do the gearbox & transfer case as well?

From memory I ran the rear diff from the back to the front & used the original steel pipe T's where the gearbox & transfer & diffs meet. I just plumbed it all into the billet head which sits high up on the fire wall.

The fuel filters that everyone uses ain't water proof, but seems that's what everyone gets away with.

cheers Jono.

04OFF
5th June 2011, 05:43 PM
The trick if you use fuel filters, is to mount the opening to atmosphere facing down, mounted high up in a position shielded from upward splashing, this way if the filter was fully submerged, it traps air creating its own little air lock.

A fuel filter element is water proof anyway (its designed to flow fuel under pressure) it wont stop water entering under suction, but nor will the little copper filters.

Its always good practice, to allow the car to cool a little before crossing any deep water (while you walk through and check depth), but even if you drive straight in ,by the time water is up to the breathers, the diffs should have long finished cooling (sucking) water.

Some have run breathers to the engine Snorkel, and while a decent option, this may require drilling entry holes into the Snorkel, care should be taken to make sure the Snorkel remains water tight as a leak could mean more than water in your diff.

Breathers venting inside the cabin area "may" result in smelling fumes from a hot diff, and should be avoided for the sake of buying some extra hose and a little more install time.